Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    In this case, shooting the friend is minor negligence compared to the gross negligence involved in speeding 60 in a 30 zone with reckless driving (racing).
    He wasn't racing, independent witness statements even specifically state that he wasn't racing. The police even stated that there was no racing, which is why the driver of the other car wasn't prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by furcouch514 View Post
    Here in Canada we have a guy who killed 4 teens while drunk driving, he got 3 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...e-prairie.html

it's pretty infuriating.
    Lol, actually, in Quebec (which is part of Canada), a man that killed both of his children by stabbing them 28 times with a knife (if I recall correctly) got away with nothing. No case, nothing. The guy is as free as air can be.

Just Google "Guy Turcotte" on Google, you'll have some fun for a while.

Nowaday, you just have to pretend you were momentarily crazy to get away with anything...

Here's a link to the story after the verdict was announced : http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07...ldrens-deaths/
    Last edited by Damaros; 2013-02-28 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Punishment is vengeance.
    Vengeance isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He wasn't racing, independent witness statements even specifically state that he wasn't racing. The police even stated that there was no racing, which is why the driver of the other car wasn't prosecuted.
    Not according to the article (which is what I was going off of):

Moments before the crash, the defendant had been "jockeying" and "playing games" with a friend in a Volkswagen Golf along a nearby dual carriageway, the jury was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Vengeance isn't a bad thing.
    Vengeance can be good or bad depending on who is doing the avenging, who is being avenged, and who vengeance is wrought upon. I prefer justice, overall. At least justice remains consistent in making everyone miserable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think in the end it is left to opinion. It's not easy to judge what punishment fits variable crimes.

If you ask me, no less than 5 years no more than 10. 2 people were killed, if you ask me anything less than 5 years is an injustice. But that is my opinion.

Each of you have an opinion i'm sure, most results will vary. There just really is no clear cut way to say how long a sentence one should serve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not according to the article (which is what I was going off of):
    Where does it say racing?

10+ Year Old Account
    jockeying at high speed with another car, I know what I would call that HINT! - it rhymes with racing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    jockeying at high speed with another car, I know what I would call that HINT! - it rhymes with racing!
    Then you'd be wrong, as the police said they weren't racing, as did independent witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Karokol View Post
    Vengeance can be good or bad depending on who is doing the avenging, who is being avenged, and who vengeance is wrought upon. I prefer justice, overall. At least justice remains consistent in making everyone miserable.

Vengeance is a type of justice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Question, what should the purpose of the justice system be?

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    c) punish people for their sins and rehabilitate them back into society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you'd be wrong, as the police said they weren't racing, as did independent witnesses.
    what would you call it? a driving contest to see who kills the fewest people?

Show us your source that is more reputable than whats written by BBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    what would you call it? a driving contest to see who kills the fewest people?
    As I wasn't there, I would go with what the witnesses and police investigation found:

"Police Sergeant Danny Byrne insisted Meppen-Walter was not racing his friend at the time of the crash."

Daily Mirror

"Police initially investigated whether Meppen-Walter from Blackley, Manchester was racing a friend in a VW Golf as both cars appeared to be accelerating and slowing down apparently to avoid speed cameras. But they later ruled out the racing line of inquiry and freed the other driver without charge."

"As the cars got to Trinity Way in central Manchester another driver Saleem Mirza, saw them 'jockeying', the court heard, with the cars accelerating hard then slowing down. 'They were constantly accelerating and slowing, with the rear of the Mercedes dipping down and smoke coming from the exhaust as diesels do,' Mr Mirza told police. 'They were playing games, not racing and were not excessively fast.'"

Daily Mail

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 11:58 PM ----------

Show us your source that is more reputable than whats written by BBC.
    The BBC doesn't say they were racing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Vengeance is a type of justice.
    Forgive me if I am being obtuse.. but where exactly in that article does it mention vengeance? The only mention of it is peripheral: "This is sometimes taken to mean that justice involves seeking vengeance on behalf of the aggrieved party, or society as a whole." You could argue that the two have overlaps, and that they are two ways to reach the same overall goal (to right wrongs)... but they are not one in the same, and you can find mentions of this difference going back thousands of years.

Daily Mirror
    Entertainment news site. Hardly reputable.

Daily Mail
    I'm not Brittish but I recall the Daily Mail being bashed as a tabloid (which apparently means they're not a good source).

According to the BBC article, the jury was told that the perpetrator was jockeying with another vehicle.

The BBC doesn't say they were racing either.
    I would like to point out draynay's sarcastic response to your naive idea that jockeying at high speeds is not considered racing.

Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-28 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgette View Post
    Two people are dead and more injured because of pure stupidity that could have been avoided with a bit of common sense. Those families are scarred forever, but the worst this young man will face a few months in jail, and you can pretty much bet he will be out sooner than that on 'good behavior'.

It isn't like this person was driving the limit on super slippery winter roads, lost control and hit some people in a sidewalk as a result. With signs posted of speed limits he chose to blatantly disregard them and this is the result. Such a short sentence insulting to the families and the deceased to say the least. A min of 5 years with a loss of his license for at minimum 10 years seems far more reasonable. The debate of he has to live with it forever could be brought up, but with how many people are, it's very possible once this is over he will think nothing of it.

And rehabilitation is pointless in far too many cases and doesn't do anything to make people better. How exactly can the system rehabilitate stupidity?
    Couldn't agree more with this. BTW I love your avatar picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I believe in rehabilitation and bettering people, not throwing them in jail to punish them and punish them, because hey, we want to punish you! They know they did bad, the world knows they did bad, they are already being punished, what needs to be addressed is FIXING the issue, which isn't fixed by throwing them in jail for 10 years.
    So you want to "better" people that do terrible things and let them go on to happy lives, ok. What do you want to do for the victims and the families that have have lost loved ones? Or is your version of justice all in favor of the criminal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They should be sentenced to eat british food.

now thats a little harsh dont ya think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to point out draynay's sarcastic response to your naive idea that jockeying at high speeds is not considered racing.
    How is it naive? Someone misinterpreting what is written in the report is hardly my fault, is it?