Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    why would you even suggest something so horrific
    we get it you dont like smithers
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

why would you even suggest something so horrific
    Because he's a Dalek. There can be no other explanation. I mean, Matt Smith is great, but so was David Tennant, and to skip that would be a great disservice to yourself.
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Vermiliel Mauritius Dawnguardian View Post
    Because he's a Dalek. There can be no other explanation. I mean, Matt Smith is great, but so was David Tennant, and to skip that would be a great disservice to yourself.
    if their looking to jump right in they would have a much easier time doing so with both a new doctor and new companion, rose is to important for the 10th doctor to start anywhere in the 10th doctors timeline so its either start with 9 or go straight to 11.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    if their looking to jump right in they would have a much easier time doing so with both a new doctor and new companion, rose is to important for the 10th doctor to start anywhere in the 10th doctors timeline so its either start with 9 or go straight to 11.
    Nah... Just say it. We know you want to. Come on, it's easy: E...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    You really want to start with the 9th. Otherwise you'll miss out on the "Mommy" episode (also contains the "Everybody Lives" scene which I LOVED to bits).

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Nah... Just say it. We know you want to. Come on, it's easy: E...
    i dont think i get this joke O-O

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    You really want to start with the 9th. Otherwise you'll miss out on the "Mommy" episode (also contains the "Everybody Lives" scene which I LOVED to bits).
    I just rewatched The Sontaran Stratagem. I never realized Tennant said that to the General. I was like O.O

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think i get this joke O-O
    Then you are clearly a Dalek!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Then you are clearly a Dalek!
    oh okay i get it now.

EXTERMINATE!!!!!! @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I really wish people would stop using that term improperly. For your reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Your criticism doesn't fall under the archaic nor currently accepted definition of that term. Also, I find it disturbing that a woman who is intelligent and in control of any situation she is in is classified as a 'stereotypical female action hero type'. In all the criticism of River Song, I find most are lamentable refrains that seem to indicate the viewers are bothered by her sassy, take-charge attitude. When in reality, her character is written to be a close echo of the Doctor himself, who we uphold on a pedestal of greatness because he has a penis.

And all of this is coming from someone who would hate if we had a woman Doctor, just because it would feel untraditional, arbitrary, and ultimately fan service targetted at a subsection of marketing in order to maximize ad revenue. But the writers have surprised me before, I'm sure I would still love the show if it wasn't just thrown in there.
    I re-emphasized the reason I disliked her two posts behind you, it's one of those things I couldn't quite put my finger on, on explaining why since I felt like I didn't really explain it well from the quote you are posting.

I don't dislike her for being a girl at all (honestly that post made me wonder if you were trying to make people who dislike River to seem sexist, however I don't think you were or were trying to in any way, that just was how it read to me), but the thing you said about her being an echo of the doctor is part of the reason I don't like her as well. Making a character to try and be a girl version(ish) of the doctor just doesn't work in my mind, it's almost like in comic books how they make girl versions of the female characters and it just doesn't work that well because they were made to be a copy not a character, however I don't see her toward that extent.

I don't uphold the doctor on pedestal because he has penis, it's because he is a well crafted character with 50 years of development, in my eyes when they threw River at us as a better, female version of the doctor as well as throwing that "love and lust" type relationship to it, it just made me think stereotypical and annoying, and when she shows up in almost every important episode in the series since her arrival as well as when they center all of those episodes around her it just makes it more annoying.

That is the best way I can put it, she shows up to much and annoys me greatly.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    You'll miss out on tons of great Tennant episodes.

I might even suggest starting with the episode, "Blink", it'll sell you on the atmosphere of Who (although do note it's not a horror series, but there are many horror-esque episodes) then just go to the 9th doctor.

Don't skip 9 and 10 and go straight to 11, trust me just don't. Matt Smith is great, but you miss so much if you skip Tennant and Eccleston is pretty essential to knowing Tennant as well. Also 9 helps you get to know the Doctor Who universe really well, if you skipped 9 and went to 11 or even 10 you would for example see a Dalek and not understand why the Doctor gets so worried.

Plus, many of the best Doctor Who episodes are during Tennant's reign, I really like Smith but I haven't seen any Smith episode compare to Tennant's best. (don't get me wrong there are a lot of good Smith episodes)
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-04-22 at 11:01 PM.

Either you start at Season 1 in the Doctor Who reboot (2005), "Rose", or Season 5, "The Eleventh Hour". The problem is that the shows quality goes up extremely much in season 5, and it makes the previous four seasons look kinda bad imo. The first season is especially bad, and the only reason I think you can get through it is if you really want to, if you know of what's to come and that it gets better, and most importantly, you have to respect the long history of the show. I think knowing how long and how legendary this show is, really made me endure the first seasons, even though I knew that season 5 would make the production quality as good as other shows I'm watching.

I had to endure my dad dropping off the show in season one (and me and my dad watch a lot of shows together), seeing a few episodes but not many, come back for season 2, but dropping off for half of season 3, and then first in season 4 really starting to become a fan. I even had one of my friends ask if I watched Doctor Who because it was good, or because it was so amusingly bad.

I got into Doctor Who by reading an awesome crossover comic on Deviantart. It was a crossover between My Little Pony and Doctor Who, the idea coming from the fact that a pony that looked similar to David Tennant had an hourglass cutie mark (the marks the ponies in the MLP universe has on their flanks.) Doctor Whooves.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-04-22 at 11:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ok, so went back and watched the Second Library episode (Forest of the Dead) and it looks like I was wrong about him giving her the screwdriver at the same time she finds out his name. It'll be one of the things that signals to him that it's almost time to give her his/a screwdriver (I am thinking he acquirers a second one with a neural transmitter to give her). We should have at least one more episode with River after the Doctor's Name episode.

Gothicshark - I didn't notice anything about the chair when he went back to it at the end. The only thing that seemed odd was when she was sitting in it, it looked like it had one thing that went up and when he went back it had two (like the back of the chair was split in two. But I think the angle it was shot when she was sitting in it just hid it. Was there something else?
    No chard Space Suit, no evidence of a dead body. In fact it was too normal looking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchaeus View Post
    I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who. Where do I begin? Should I start at the very beginning and find the original series online, or pick up with a newer series?
    if you start with eccelston and rose, when you get to the episode about the slitheen, just skip it. they are so painfully hard to watch, worst villains ever created. cant tell if they are straight out of a kids program or not. just skip them, nearly put me off the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    if you start with eccelston and rose, when you get to the episode about the slitheen, just skip it. they are so painfully hard to watch, worst villains ever created. cant tell if they are straight out of a kids program or not. just skip them, nearly put me off the whole show.
    I actually thought the episodes were okay, maybe because it was the first two parter and the story was greater than the episodes before it. But yes, the design of the slitheen was really bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I actually thought the episodes were okay, maybe because it was the first two parter and the story was greater than the episodes before it. But yes, the design of the slitheen was really bad.

i just cant stand them, and i dont think its fair anyone should have to watch them. shame aswell, because jacks in that episode
    the episode with them in could have been ok, i just really hate the slitheen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    How did the tardis talk btw? i thought it wasn't able to do that ,as explained in the doctors wife? 0o
    It has always had the holo recording system it is usually used by the Doctor to leave messages to companions. For some reason the TARDIS felt it had to talk to Clara, which is important in answering the question about her. For starters this version of Clara "Oswin" Oswald is her first life, it is made clear she started out just a normal normally intelligent girl, thanks to some melding by bad guys her intelligence is raised, as she travels she is slowly changing next episode she will be exposed to the Heart of the TARDIS, ie the strange thing that happens to her is indirectly/directly the Doctors fault. So yah her difference as a person will come out by the end of next episode.

as to plot holes mentioned, Everything in Doctor Who is a plot hole filled with silliness, the entertainment of the show is not diminished from facts or reason.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I am hoping that since the finale is the name of the doctor that maybe River will finally go away for good one he tells her his name. Nothing against Alex Kingston, I just hate the character.
    I hope not, it is nice to see a strong female character who can get along quit well with out an all important male telling her what to do.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:31 PM ----------

okay im sorry if this has been posted before but im trying to avoid spoilers since my dvr is almost full and im a couple episodes behind

SPOILERS IF THIS IS TRUE ABOUT THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY

so we know john hurt is playing someone in the 50th anniversary but what if that person is the 9th doctor?

theres a rumor going around that hes playing the REAL 9th doctor from the time war who was forgotten because of the events of it, so if this is true eccelston would be the 10th doctor, tennant would be the 11th doctor and smith would be the 12th doctor. obviously this is a rumor and probably not true but i just read it and wanted to know what you guys think about it.

if it is somehow true how do you think they are gonna make it work?

It's all leading up to the Birth of the Valeyard. The ultimate Doctor Villain, his soul spilt evil twin. At a guess they might have John Hurt play him, or even David Tennant. Which would be awesome.

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alchaeus View Post
    I've never seen a single episode of Dr. Who. Where do I begin? Should I start at the very beginning and find the original series online, or pick up with a newer series?
    Since the classic show is a much slower paced show Start with the 9th Doctor aka 2005 Doctor Who, however at some point after you become addicted and feel like you can handle the much slower pace of 60's, 70's and 80's British TV get a hold of the classic show, however be aware many episodes of the 1st and 2nd Doctor are missing. Sadly the BBC destroyed a bunch of the early stuff, not realizing the cultural value of the show.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-04-22 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    It has always had the holo recording system it is usually used by the Doctor to leave messages to companions. For some reason the TARDIS felt it had to talk to Clara, which is important in answering the question about her. For starters this version of Clara "Oswin" Oswald is her first life, it is made clear she started out just a normal normally intelligent girl, thanks to some melding by bad guys her intelligence is raised, as she travels she is slowly changing next episode she will be exposed to the Heart of the TARDIS, ie the strange thing that happens to her is indirectly/directly the Doctors fault. So yah her difference as a person will come out by the end of next episode.

as to plot holes mentioned, Everything in Doctor Who is a plot hole filled with silliness, the entertainment of the show is not diminished from facts or reason.
    I wouldn't agree with that.

Also, I kind of doubt that they will use the Valeyard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Also, I kind of doubt that they will use the Valeyard.

He he is created sometime around the Thirtieth Regeneration, Which will be the Next Regeneration. Yes, because the tenth doctor had a lucky extra regeneration where he stayed him self. So all that needs to happen to cause the birth of the Valeyard is to have the eleventh doctor die and start his Regeneration, while some sort of Meta crisis is happening. The new Doctor Clone will become the Valeyard, now to be clear The current Doctor Clone played By Tennant could actually be the Valeyard only he was all human, so I expect the Next Meta Doctor will be pure Time Lord, and he will be the Valeyard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    He he is created sometime around the Thirtieth Regeneration, Which will be the Next Regeneration. Yes, because the tenth doctor had a lucky extra regeneration where he stayed him self. So all that needs to happen to cause the birth of the Valeyard is to have the eleventh doctor die and start his Regeneration, while some sort of Meta crisis is happening. The new Doctor Clone will become the Valeyard, now to be clear The current Doctor Clone played By Tennant could actually be the Valeyard only he was all human, so I expect the Next Meta Doctor will be pure Time Lord, and he will be the Valeyard.

yes please have tennent be the valeyard! if not then benedict sherlock man would be cool as valeyard.

also, its not just the thirteenth regen, its between 12th and 13th, so could be the major villain after smith leaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    yes please have tennent be the valeyard! if not then benedict sherlock man would be cool as valeyard.

also, its not just the thirteenth regen, its between 12th and 13th, so could be the major villain after smith leaves.

Good Someone else understands that we have to count the meta crisis as a Regeneration. Which means the 11th Doctor is the Twelfth Regeneration. Which means all that built up anger, and venom the Doctor has in his Soul will be released and become the Valeyard. Who better for the Villain on the 50t anniversary than the Evil Twin of the Doctor.