Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can You Teach With a DUI on Your Record?

Looking to teach high school math

1 dui is only thing on my entire record history. Nothing else

Is it possible?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara senko View Post

Is it possible?
    It depends on what country you are from and, since you called it Math, I'm guessing which state in America you live in. Each country in the EU has different rules and regulations on what is "acceptable".

It may be possible to teach with a DUI, but definitely not possible if you type "u" and "ur"

Probably but i doubt you can be a teacher whith that spelling though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    It may be possible to teach with a DUI, but definitely not possible if you type "u" and "ur"
    Give this guy an internet.

Deleted
    Legally speaking, I have no idea. Morally speaking, sure, I wouldn't mind, as long as the drinking doesn't start occuring at the workplace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorine View Post
    Legally speaking, I have no idea. Morally speaking, sure, I wouldn't mind, as long as the drinking doesn't stand occurinng at the workplace.
    I dunno man. Some jobs are sticklers for having clean records.

OP, you'd probably have to ask them, in person, preferably. At the very least, hopefully they'd be somewhat impressed by your honesty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Depends if it comes up as a criminal conviction or not you have to disclose any criminal record if they ask and they will do a background check if they do an extensive one they will find it if they do a cheap third party one probably won't. You didn't disclose what country you live in which also will affect it. If you live in the US you are probably SOL, seeing most school districts are either still laying teachers off or not hiring them at all.

It's going to be State specific. I know licensed teachers in my State who have a DUI on record. You'll have to look up licensing requirements in your own area. They'll usually include some kind of ethics/morality component. It's pretty easy to get through that with just a DUI, I'd think, especially if it was a while ago and no other bad behavior.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    As always it depends on the state you're in, I should think.

This is the certificate application form for Arizona, for example: http://www.azed.gov/educator-certifi...-checklist.pdf

It mentions offenses that induced law enforcement to take your fingerprints and a whole number of serious crimes that would probably prevent you from being allowed to become a teacher - DUI is not among them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give us the school's number. I'll call them anonymously for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Syro View Post
    Probably but i doubt you can be a teacher whith that spelling though
    Mathematics has nothing to do with grammar or spelling.

OP, I would suggest speaking to a careers advisor, explain to them the nature of your DUI, and ask how this will effect your chances of becoming a teacher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    I dunno man. Some jobs are sticklers for having clean records.

OP, you'd probably have to ask them, in person, preferably. At the very least, hopefully they'd be somewhat impressed by your honesty.
    True, a highly reputable institution is very likely going to deny people with such records, but the public school system I think it wouldn't care that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, possible.

Source: Friend with dui that teaches 1st grade at a catholic school

Probably. I've heard a lot of stories of a good teacher getting fired because some school administrator found out she was a stripper for a couple of months at one point 20+ years ago, but considering the amount of logic/common sense that school administration uses these days, I'd guess a DUI is probably fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    As always it depends on the state you're in, I should think.

This is the certificate application form for Arizona, for example: http://www.azed.gov/educator-certifi...-checklist.pdf

It mentions offenses that induced law enforcement to take your fingerprints and a whole number of serious crimes that would probably prevent you from being allowed to become a teacher - DUI is not among them.
    These, also DUI is not like a big stain in your record so, most of the places won't mind it that much... (Unless the record is fresh, but if you already have at least a year or more "clean", then you can go on)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible that you can. Having a criminal record does not preclude you from teaching in most states but it would be up to each school you are applying to. Being convicted of DUI while possessing a teaching job might be an issue, though.

That being said, please do not teach children if you are an educated adult and you use incomplete sentences, "u," and "ur," even on the internet.

Is it possible?
    Depends on the state; all have a certification process that requires you to divulge such things, and its likely taken into account everywhere when deciding whether or not to grant certification. I don't know how lenient they tend to be, but I can say that in New York at least, if you're a teacher and you get a DUI while certified it's practically guaranteed that you will never teach in this state again. Especially since they stopped granting permanent certification a few years ago.

Call your state DoE. It never hurts to ask. And even if it did, it'll hurt a lot less than if you go through the certification process only to get denied at the last minute.

I know if I found out that a boozer ( I feel anyone dumb enough to drive after having drinks is a boozer) was teaching my daughters class you can bet your bippy that I would work to remove him/her. And knowing the parents and school board in my area it would not be all that hard.

Actions have consequences, think before you act to avoid these problems.

Legally I really do not know what is allowed. I doubt it would be illegal, but that doesn't mean any school would hire you.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2013-06-25 at 05:52 PM. Reason: clarity
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Is it possible?
    Yes, our high school math teacher had two.