Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I never understood why people called their alts or other characters 'toons'.

Also, Twinks. Like, what? Why?
    Last edited by -Ethos-; 2013-07-12 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    The arena comps. I know two, Spicy Chicken Cleave: Boomkin, Fire Mage and a healer (iirc), the second one I know is Hitler Cleave: Two Unholy DK's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post

1. I think that one immigrated from Everquest. Not sure on the original origin.

2. AFAICT, it seems to have originally been an extension of the use of "gay" as an insult/detraction.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post

Okay, +1 on the twinks. I still have no clue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    1. I think that one immigrated from Everquest. Not sure on the original origin.

2. AFAICT, it seems to have originally been an extension of the use of "gay" as an insult/detraction.
    1. I'm not sure.

2. I don't know, either.

Thanks.

Something really bothers me that people starting using GM and GM together for World of Warcraft. Someone probably already guessed it, but Game Master and Guild Master. Jesus this bothers the hell out of me, because I never used to see these used in unison. Guild Master was never (At least for so many years) GM, as GM represented a Game Master. It infuriates me because people don't clarify if they meant one or the other.

"Just talked to GM" -- WHAT GM!!

EDIT: To clarify, I used to only know GM as in Game Master. Until someone told me that it meant Guild Master as well. I thought it was always Guild Leader before that, so.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People were saying VC on my server since before Dire Maul was even a thing. I never called it that though because I thought it sounded silly. Also as horde I had very little reason to actually run it.

The HC thing, still think that one is silly. I just use H, and did in BC as well (H Mana Tombs) or type out heroic. HC for heroic just seems silly.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    According to UD, 'shaking my head' is an incorrect interpretation that has become more rampant than it's original meaning.
    Yes, because Urban Dictionary is correct.
    SMH means shaking my head since Usenet

FYI on Twink-terminology that originated from the gay subculture (or did it start in gaming and go there, or vice versa, I forget):

The original premise was that 'twinks' were, in many ways, the non-Asian male Lolita analog - specifically young-looking and unsuspecting-seeming objects of desire. They were often the community version of 'sugar babies', youths who put out for favors and money without it being directly prostitution. The resultant comparison comes of 'young' characters having far better gear than they could have acquired on their own at a level, often due to a higher level character farming gear for them when it is quicker and easier to do than getting 'legitimately'...and at a point where they'd normally be on the cusp of out-leveling the gear.

The 'twink' is getting gear from higher level 'sugar daddies/mommas'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, I remember leveling in Westfall during vanilla and people kept LFG VC.

Never knew what VC was until I got into a Deadmines run and someone called it VC while inside. I finally put them together on my own lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Along the same lines with the VC debate for Deadmines: My personal experience was that it was a faction thing. I had many alts even in classic, but I only played Horde. As such, I rarely ran Deadmines or Gnomer, and never ran Stockades, in favor of the easier to reach via flight path Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns and the other appropriate dungeon that I cannot remember now. Since Deadmines was not run 'as much' in general on the Horde side, you did not see as much confusion over the 'DM' abbreviation, and therefore no use of 'VC'. In fact the first time I ever saw VC, it was from an Alliance defector who saw the light and joined the Horde.

Also, ZOMG: I don't care when or how it started, I always thought it was funny to say 'Zoe my god'. Kind of like Shaggy saying 'Zoinks!'
    At the same time, I always say 'p'owned when I read pwnd, pwned or pwn'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that a level 50 or so mage asked me to boost him through DM once.
    I was like... Deadmines?
    "Mate, you can solo it"
    "Can i?"
    "Of course, it's for level 20 or so."
    "Alright, thanks, gonna go to Feralas then!"

...damn it. Couldn't we come up with something better than DM= Deadmines= Dire maul, or MT= Mana Tombs= Magister Terrace?

(I've just seen VC= Deadmines on MMOChampion, never in-game)

ems -- eat my shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    There wasn't a heroic mode for a long time. Fights were harder when you did the "hardcore" version. Thus, HC for "hardcore".
    What was the "hardcore" version of fights before heroic mode was added to dungeons in BC and hard mode was added to raids in Ulduar? Or do you mean a different game?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

For people who have trouble with Arena comp names this link has most of the ones considered to be real (it's a bit old but nothing has really changed):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758256977

Some of the shit that people throw out is just them seeking attention (golden dildo cleave came up in this thread for example).

Any of the arena team comp abbreviations for me as well, goes straight over my head.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted
    Some of the arena setup names actually make a lot of sense if you think about it. For example, since it was asked earlier:
    Ebolacleave.
    Now, the ebolasomethingdisease is a disease common in Africa I believe, which is a Disease, that makes you Bleed. The comp consists of a DK and a Feral druid, who applies bleeds and diseases.
    Very logical )

Deleted
    I've seen something else pop up which I don't understand either. IIRC. What does that stand for? Cheers

Deleted
    I play PvP myself but I barely know any arena comp names, just because I think they are silly and I couldn't be bothered to figure out what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    I've seen something else pop up which I don't understand either. IIRC. What does that stand for? Cheers
    If I Recall/Remember Correctly.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2013-07-13 at 10:37 AM.

Deleted
    deleted---

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    If I recall Correctly.