Thread: Server question

Deleted

Server question

Hey everyone,

Me and my friend are thinking of setting up a minecraft server, so we can play in the same world all the time.
    I could host this on my computer, but that would require my computer being on all the time, which would waste a lot of money for electricity.

I'm thinking of 'renting' a server, but I have some questions:

- What's the best minecraft server provider?
    - Do they support mods?
    - Are they easy to set-up?
    - What's the general cost of these things?
    - How do you people do it?

I've been looking online, and can find plenty on how to host my own, but having trouble to find out how to get a decent paid service.

Thanks a lot and hope the question is clear!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Hey everyone,

Me and my friend are thinking of setting up a minecraft server, so we can play in the same world all the time.
    I could host this on my computer, but that would require my computer being on all the time, which would waste a lot of money for electricity.

I'm thinking of 'renting' a server, but I have some questions:

- What's the best minecraft server provider?
    - Do they support mods?
    - Are they easy to set-up?
    - What's the general cost of these things?
    - How do you people do it?

I've been looking online, and can find plenty on how to host my own, but having trouble to find out how to get a decent paid service.

Thanks a lot and hope the question is clear!
    Best or worst is hard to determine without trying them. Generally if you want to use mods have about 1gb of memory for every 2 people.

They typically use an interface for you to start and stop your sever as well as do backups. You will also have to be familiar with FTP. Get something like CoreFTPLite or Filezilla.

General cost is between 5-20$ a month depending on server size.

You can fine a tonne of hosts here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/...erver-hosting/

It's really just a matter of picking one that looks professional. Try to get one close to you as well. If you dont like your plan, they usually refund your un-used money for the month.

I can't really comment on value or 'good'-ness, but I was in the same boat as you last week. Checked some reviews and went with NitroPanel, they're cheap (£4 a month in the UK for 12 slots), allow full access to the server files (which i'd assume they all would anyway) and generally seem to deal with latency well and be a pretty good overall server.

As I said, I can't compare them to anything but in the week that i've been subbed they've been great.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot both! Really helpful <3