Lightning Shield/Fulmination is Clunky for Elemental

My problems with Elemental are:
    - 1 button aoe spam with maximum potential at 5 targets (unless you count thunderstorm)
    - Earth Shock and Flame Shock share a cooldown (what purpose does this serve exactly?)
    - Poor dps on spread targets

I think that removing the shared cooldown on Earth Shock and Flame Shock will improve Ele's dps on spread targets and it will make cleaving less clunky. In regards to aoeing I think it's really silly that fulmination isn't utilized, instead you just spam chain lightning and sit at 9 stacks. I propose a change that will make fulmination an integral part of Ele's aoe rotation and increase it's potential against more than 5 targets; the single target aspect will remain the same however.

- Lightning Shield can now generate up to 100 charges.
    - A single target can only receive damage equivalent to up to 10 charges of Lightning Shield
    - The damage from the remaining charges is dealt to the closest enemy within 10 yards
    - The remaining charges are stored if there is no adjacent target to consume the remaining charges

So if you have 100 charges of Lightning Shield, you will deal 10 charges worth of damage to 10 different targets within 10 yards of your target.
    If you have 100 charges of Lightning Shield and you use Earth Shock on a group of 3 enemies, you will deal 10 charges worth of damage to each enemy and end up with 70 charges of Lightning Shield.

This way you'll have to utilize Earth Shock in aoe situations based on the amount of enemies that are present. The only problem that this might cause is it might make Ele even more faceroll lol.

Deleted
    ele shamans alerady hands down have the highest aoe damage in the game and your complaining you should get more?. Enemies within 10 yards already get his by chain lighting.

I understand your bored of one button spam but what you suggest just increases the aoe output unless they heavily nerf CL.

as for the sharing cd its a vital part of the mechanic to prevent shock spamming. You also have to consider the class wide changes and the pvp ramifications. Where does it stop? just with FS/ES or ice FS now a separate cd too? For enhance it then pretty much keeps a gcd to use all the time and will buff their dps too resulting in nerfs elsewhere.

To me it sounds like you just want a different option for aoe which is understandable but your suggestion makes little sense. instead of 1 button spam fest you 1 button spam then press a 2nd button.. then revert back to the first button.

You might also want to consider altering your title as its misleading considering your only on about aoe dmg.

It's more about Lightning Shield/Fulmination being more useful by not capping out all the time instead of having a more interesting aoe rotation. I agree with your point about the pvp ramifications of shock spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    ele shamans alerady hands down have the highest aoe damage in the game and your complaining you should get more?. Enemies within 10 yards already get his by chain lighting.
    That entirely depends on how many targets you are talking about.

I was hoping the T16 2p would apply the debuff to all targets within 10 yards, making Fulmination a good idea for AoE.

Make fulmination also affect Earthquake: max fulmination stacks buff EQ's damage and make it a faster cast.

Reduce all shock cooldowns to 3 seconds for all specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Make fulmination also affect Earthquake: max fulmination stacks buff EQ's damage and make it a faster cast.
    this plus making the CL glyph baked in is the right thing to do imo
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    In regards to aoeing I think it's really silly that fulmination isn't utilized, instead you just spam chain lightning and sit at 9 stacks.
    First off its 7 stacks now.

And as to separating our shocks CDs, would make us incredibly op in pvp, i mean having a slow, damage reduction and a relatively powerful DoT up all at the same time for full amount of time.

I agree our AoE isn't exactly thrilling, but its up there with the best, and as someone that played ele while we had a 3 sec CD on chain lightning with fairly laborious Flame shock everything and fire nova, and then before that flame nova off a totem, i'm incredibly happy we have competitive AoE dps no matter how it comes!

So if you have 100 charges of Lightning Shield, you will deal 10 charges worth of damage to 10 different targets within 10 yards of your target.
    I'd hope they'd scale that back, imagine 300k+ crits to 10 enemies every few seconds, that'd upset locks!

They just need to completely re-visit Fulmination and the entire AoE of Ele Shamans, it feels so dumb to be capped on your resource(Lightning Shield stacks) when spamming AoE. It's like the same as a Rogue spamming FoK all the time at 5CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    They just need to completely re-visit Fulmination and the entire AoE of Ele Shamans, it feels so dumb to be capped on your resource(Lightning Shield stacks) when spamming AoE. It's like the same as a Rogue spamming FoK all the time at 5CP.
    Perhaps a simple idea like make ES require Fulmination to be cast, like a finishing move via rogues or shadow orbs via shadow priests, for Elemental. Then you could separate the cooldowns and not have to worry about Shock spamming.

I'd rather see healing rain "conduct" our lightning damage so a percentage of all lightning damage is applied again to all enemies within healing rain. Earthquake always seemed a bit stupid when we had this giant pool of water we could summon followed by epic CL spam.

What was so wrong with the Fire Nova > refresh flame shock thing from 4.2? I really enjoyed that, it was interesting and complex enough to keep me entertained on trash. Yes, the ramp up time was slow, but if that was used in conjuction with a weakened CL then it would make for something different between CL spam all the time
    Where I come from, fag means cigarette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    - Lightning Shield can now generate up to 100 charges.
    - A single target can only receive damage equivalent to up to 10 charges of Lightning Shield
    - The damage from the remaining charges is dealt to the closest enemy within 10 yards
    - The remaining charges are stored if there is no adjacent target to consume the remaining charges
    OP OP OP OP, it would be easier than Chain lightining spam seriously, why? because if feels like you're underestimating our fulmination.
    It's like making someone strong if not strongest in AoE to deal more dmg with AoE (you just proposed preety much improoved version of legendary cloak effect for casters, where tick dmg isnt that high but check loogs for how much dmg it deals ;o)

Solution was 1 bonus from ele gear if i think about it, 4% dmg done more, means CL will jump stronger, if not, well not like it matters to much.
    Last edited by mmoc311d9dc5f8; 2013-10-30 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferror View Post
    OP OP OP OP, it would be easier than Chain lightining spam seriously, why? because if feels like you're underestimating our fulmination.
    It's like making someone strong if not strongest in AoE to deal more dmg with AoE (you just proposed preety much improoved version of legendary cloak effect for casters, where tick dmg isnt that high but check loogs for how much dmg it deals ;o)

Solution was 1 bonus from ele gear if i think about it, 4% dmg done more, means CL will jump stronger, if not, well not like it matters to much.
    I don't think Ele has the strongest aoe on anything other than 5 targets (maybe 4); and this change would improve it's cleave capabilities as well which definitely isn't the strongest.

Also my idea isn't to make Ele's aoe rotation easier (if that's even possible), it's to make fulmination not just cap out when you're cleaving and aoeing. To me it feels like wasted potential.

Compare it to a survival hunters aoe, they use barrage and multi-shot. Now imagine if serpent sting gave lock and load procs, if that was the case you would have a ridiculous amount of wasted lock and load procs while aoeing. That's how a picture Ele shamans right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I don't think Ele has the strongest aoe on anything other than 5 targets (maybe 4); and this change would improve it's cleave capabilities as well which definitely isn't the strongest.

Also my idea isn't to make Ele's aoe rotation easier (if that's even possible), it's to make fulmination not just cap out when you're cleaving and aoeing. To me it feels like wasted potential.

Compare it to a survival hunters aoe, they use barrage and multi-shot. Now imagine if serpent sting gave lock and load procs, if that was the case you would have a ridiculous amount of wasted lock and load procs while aoeing. That's how a picture Ele shamans right now.
    they could always just make it so fulmination cant proc of chain lightning

Lightning Shield stacks from Fulminate should be consumed by Earthquake, increasing its damage by a % for each stack consumed.
    Ta da. Make Fulminate relevant in AoE, while also making Earthquake relevant in AoE.

Earth Shock Fulminate for single target, Earthquake Fulminate for AoE.

Blizzards failed 'scare' is also fixed in the process.
    They refuse to buff Earthquake because they fear it would interfere with Elemental Shaman single target rotation.
    But with this Fulminate change, that wouldn't be an issue either.

Three birds, one stone.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

I read an idea a while back about fulmination modifying earthquake. I thought that sounded like a good idea. something like at 7 stacks your next earthquake does + damage or is an instant cast. We do cast EARTH SHOCK after all, why not earthquake. I feel like there is so much potential for synergy amongst ele spells and we simply don't have it. As a master of elements, I don't feel like we weave elements together well. The lightning spells play with lightning, fire with fire, and earth is generally ignored. I feel 6.0 is a good opportunity to because elemental weavers. Every caster has an identity of specific damage types, Ele should be a united front of earth,air,fire,lightning.

As to the shock debates. I agree that shocks sharing CDs is an ancient concept that feels like a hindrance. It is the actual last hindrance left in the game. Remember Stances limiting move choices? They've made almost every other spec in the game flow without annoyances like shared CDs or stance limitations (to an extent). I see nothing wrong with mass ranged snares. Put an ICD on the root talent, you're good. As for mass FS procing tons of lava surges, make lava surge procs proc from FS crits or have a diminishing return on multiple targets (IE Balance druids starsurge procs) because the technology exists. There are advanced alternatives to a shared CD, and I believe its time to make those changes.