Thread: A WoW Sequel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    some people are just narrow minded if they don't see how they could change the game enough to warrant a sequel...

they could make an everchanging mmo from the ground up where player actions actually affect the world... what's that deathwing wants to break through maelstrom and fuck up the whole world? how about we stop him before he can do that and prevent it... or heck help him do it and cause even more destruction...

how about no more ally/horde bullshit and instead each player can chose which side he wants to take irrelevant of race... be it horde/ally or even the villain's side like I said, helping DW/Arthas and whatnot...

what about guild controlled cities and city sieges where guilds try to take over a city that is already under some guild's influence... Just think about it, your guild manages to take over stormwind from king varian and then other guilds come and try and take it away from you and you have to defend it ... other independent people(not belonging to your guild or the attacking guild) will be able to chose sides and either help you defend or help the attackers gaining certain perks in the city if their side wins.

there are countless things that could be done in a sequel that wouldn't really be easy to implement in wow because it'd require too much change but if built with those in mind it would be much easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Other games have sequels... WoW has Expansions....

/thread
    other games have both... like everquest and guild wars...

What do you need WoW 2 for which isn´t possible with WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    In about 15 years they will probably do it. If they're smart, they will start with WC1 and move on from there. This gives them a full decade of expansions just in established, non-controversial lore to work with .
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Theres a lot which wouldn't be possible with WoW without drastically changing its core mechanics. WoW is not an infinitely expandable game, its fairly closed.

A WoW sequel could allow Blizzard to make a completely different game in the Warcraft universe. Different mechanics, different tone, different approach to lore, a different focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Theres a lot which wouldn't be possible with WoW without drastically changing its core mechanics. WoW is not an infinitely expandable game, its fairly closed.
    ...which is why i asked. That was a genuine questions, as i´d like to see feasible ideas.

Deleted
    ...which is why i asked. That was a genuine questions, as i´d like to see feasible ideas.
    Multiple Factions, or letting players play outside of the Alliance/Horde.

This would be really difficult to do in WoW since a lot of its mechanics are designed around a two faction system, but a new game could be built from the ground up with multiple factions. Maybe the player could start neutral to all factions and could work their way into them. As well as the Alliance and Horde you could have factions such as the other human kingdoms, dwarfs clans, orc tribes, organisations like the Kirin Tor or the Scarlet Crusade, etc. There could be conflicts and rivalries between factions and so on.

I suggested this a few days ago in another thread, I thought I'd bring it back up.

Deleted
    Not happening anytime soon imo. And I can imagine that when WoW reaches the end of it's life cycle the gaming community is done with Azeroth and all it's adventures.

If they aren't however, I can see a RTS interlude happening. That way the long awaited new warcraft RTS won't interfere with the MMO lore and such.
    Also I think the RTS is a better medium to really shake things up in azeroth. Because WC3 had you play all different kinds of factions it wasn't a problem that factions won and lost heavily and the world changed lots. The factioned MMO needs to keep some sort of a balance.
    After the RTS and it's story (where anything can happen, no more factions, more factions, races getting wiped out, or added, new class niches, no classes, the sky is the limit!) WoW2 could start where the RTS left the story in a completely new azeroth, which would allow all kinds of interesting stuff.

The risk being that the hardcore RPG/MMO crowd wouldn't like the RTS and drift of to other things and not return.
    Last edited by mmoc160c5a89f2; 2013-11-20 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Everquest got a sequel.

Guild Wars got a sequel.

Asheron's Call got a sequel.

FFXI got a sequel.
    Rofl comparing games with only a few 100k players with wow is a joke and u know it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has upgraded WoW over the years. The bare bones PCs that could run WoW 1.0 can't anymore because they have improved it. They'll continue to do this over the life of the game, just really slowly. I wouldn't be surprised to see them completely overhaul the whole graphics engine again in another two expacs to reinvigorate the whole thing.

Honestly the only reason I could see Blizz making a whole new WoW game would be a radical advancement of computer technology, like Quantum computers finally becoming a real thing that every has.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

Have Blizzard ever said anything about making a sequel to WoW? I know Blizzard aren't going to consider a sequel whilst WoW is still market leader, but has the question ever come up?

Hypothetically, what would you want to see in a WoW sequel? Any specific features or lore elements?
    So you are talking of a wow sequel when wow is far from done? why?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    As it stands Blizzard has moved away worlds from closing WoW anytime soon. Even though this means that the game might still be there and active in over 10 years. Any overhault a sequel game could make can be integrated into WoW itself, depending on how much work you want to invest into it.

However, if there ever is a sequel to WoW it would be better for Blizzard to make it a spiritual successor, meaning they better take another existing trademark like Diablo or Starcraft, or create a new one for this successor. No matter how long Blizzard intents to keep WoW as their flagship MMO, as soon as they decide to create a new one, another Warcraft based MMO would probably make no sense at all. We could use some fresh air once in a while.
    You say that as if Blizzard had intentions to close down WoW in the near future. Which was never the case. There was never a planned stop point. Blizzard has always said that as long as there are people playing WoW they will continue making content for it. As for the Titan=WoW2 crowd, you couldn't have been more wrong. It was stated time and time again that it was a new IP that had nothing to do with any of their existing IPs. This had been stated in Shareholder meetings as well, meaning that when Titan was released and it was WoW2, ActivisionBlizzard heads would be in legal trouble for lying to shareholders. As for Titan's future, it sounds as if it will remain the same IP as it was just rethinking the concept of the game as a whole. Meaning it will not be WoW2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    You say that as if Blizzard had intentions to close down WoW in the near future. Which was never the case. There was never a planned stop point. Blizzard has always said that as long as there are people playing WoW they will continue making content for it. As for the Titan=WoW2 crowd, you couldn't have been more wrong. It was stated time and time again that it was a new IP that had nothing to do with any of their existing IPs. This had been stated in Shareholder meetings as well, meaning that when Titan was released and it was WoW2, ActivisionBlizzard heads would be in legal trouble for lying to shareholders. As for Titan's future, it sounds as if it will remain the same IP as it was just rethinking the concept of the game as a whole. Meaning it will not be WoW2.
    From what I heard Titan wouldn't even be the same kind of MMO let alone same IP, but then again that was before the scrapped it and started over... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
    If they are going to create a new MMO(In the next 5-7 years), then WoW II is inevitable. It is the only way to drag the WoW players to it, without causing a torch&rake situation for shutting down the servers or making the game lame.
    EQ2 was a failure in the eyes of Sony from the standpoint of bringing EQ players over to it. Many EQ players hated the changes and went back to the original. The same could happen with WoW, which is the reason there will not be a sequel.

You can look at it this way. Each expansion is in a way a sequel. Each expansion has increased the visual fidelity of the game increasing the minimum specs required to play. You cannot play this game on a minimum spec PC from Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, or even Cata. So they are alienating some of the very low end PC users each expansion if they do not want to upgrade. Each expansion as improved upon gameplay, mechanics, UI, and features. There is no need for a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    From what I heard Titan wouldn't even be the same kind of MMO let alone same IP, but then again that was before the scrapped it and started over... :P
    Chances are it was scrapped because it had been in development for so long that the MMO landscape had changed so dramatically that it, itself, was now an outdated model of a game, and it made more sense to redraw the gameplay concepts for it than it did to simply try and mold what they already had into new concepts. It wouldn't surprise me if the actual basic stuff such as its unique lore, concept artwork, and basic ideas and driving concepts are still the same, but now they need to figure out how to make it a much more modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    It wasn't scrapped, it is going through a re-imagining if you will. I hate that word/term, but in a nutshell, that is what happened. My opinion is that it was too similar to Destiny in terms of style of the game.

Wouldn't be possible, nothing.

It would however be less time consuming at some point to start over with a smaller amount of assets that need to be updated when graphics are updated, and then build back up from the new pool slowly over time rather than needing to bundle the changes together.

Modifying their one major mechanic in raids to something more interesting. The threat gimmick is so baked into the game that without it certain classes would need entirely new kits.

It would be impossible to make the lore consistent and reasonable without starting over from scratch and just calling the current era a vague memory of a distant past.

I'm sure there are others.

Have Blizzard ever said anything about making a sequel to WoW? I know Blizzard aren't going to consider a sequel whilst WoW is still market leader, but has the question ever come up?

Hypothetically, what would you want to see in a WoW sequel? Any specific features or lore elements?
    I believe they're called Expansions. There's been 5, soon to be 6 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    But WoW is a million times more succesfull then these games, u can't just make a sequel for it.
    WoW is still very playable even after sampling the newer MMO's out there with higher system requirements.

The only thing I find really damning at its core and lagging behind the competition is WoW's character creation.

All my other gripes about the game can be solved with patches/expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    other games have both... like everquest and guild wars...
    The main difference is, while games like EQ/GW have expansions and sequels, WoW's expansion is more a combination of the 2. Blizzard is able to change WoW at its core so there is no reason to make a WoW2.

Nearly all of the MMO expansion are essentially raising level cap, adding new achievements/titles, new class/abilities/recipies, new zones/dungeons, new quests without actual core changes. Main reason is that with an existing code base, sometimes it is just very difficult to actually change how the game works. So studios opt to make a sequel so they can build all their ideas into the sequel.

Take EQ:Next for example, EQ:Next will feature a world built with tiny pieces so you can actually damage the world with spell/abilities (like literally destorying an enemy city and see the walls crumble). Doesn't this sound awesome for EQ? But it is not possible to add this into EQ at this point so that's why it's added in EQ:Next.

Whereas in WoW, they acutally change how the game functions. For example, phasing technology, CRZ, player housing, pet battle, talent system redo, normalizing gears, transmog, etc. These are on top of the usual raising level cap, new zones/quests, more superficial stuff. Many game companies do not have the capability to do those things with an old code base.

So there is really no need for WoW2 as long as Blizzard can continue to evolve WoW at its very core.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Deleted
    They are already changing character models, they can introduce new lore, zones, etc. with expansions, they can add new lighting engines, better textures, animations, combat....

I don't see the point in making WoW II