Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do some mounts need visual updates too?

Earlier it occurred to me how dated (like a lot of things in this game) some of the mounts are looking right now. Especially the racial ones. Here's just an example: i.imgur.com/tM92nG8.jpg

Do you think that the new updated character models will look out of place on the older mounts? Though I don't see it happening, personally I think it would be the icing on the cake if Blizzard released racial mount visuals updates along with the character updates in WoD.

I understand that these things take man hours, which is why I don't see it happening anytime soon. But what do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe this was discussed with Robinson and as usual he said he'd like to do it but didn't have an ETA.

Chris G. Robinson ‏@artofcgrobinson 3. Jan.

@KaanJacksonKesi npc's will update with new player models. Have heard a lot about mount updates, something I would like to do eventually.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2014-01-31 at 01:57 PM.

I don't think we should replace/update the old models, if we're going to do something, we should add new ones from the vendors

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I believe this was discussed with Robinson and as usual he said he'd like to do it but didn't have an ETA.
    Ah, I must have missed that!

I think it all depends on how much Tom Chilton want to push the team into making "new content".

Deleted
    I think that'd take a long time to do, considering the number of mounts. Aswell as taking a chunk out of the budget if you need to outsource or part-time the assignments.

That said, yeah some mounts do look dated. And it might look a little weird.

If it was me, perhaps put a small team on it, perhaps out of the guys that are handling the character models, have them work on mounts continually from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    I don't think we should replace/update the old models, if we're going to do something, we should add new ones from the vendors
    This.

My Hordies want a worg mount without the armor and with some new armor. The Garrosh one and Horde PvP would then STAY unique because of their armor (so we don't have this recoloring shit).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Personally I think it's time for them to go, I don't think the older ones and newer ones would mesh well. I think I saw something about them considering having older player models for users playing on lower-end systems, maybe it could be the same with these mounts?

Hmm. Although it would be nice i doubt they will invest in updating the mounts. Especially after looking at how long it takes for the character model updates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I think that'd take a long time to do, considering the number of mounts. Aswell as taking a chunk out of the budget if you need to outsource or part-time the assignments.

That said, yeah some mounts do look dated. And it might look a little weird.

If it was me, perhaps put a small team on it, perhaps out of the guys that are handling the character models, have them work on mounts continually from now on.
    I'm sure it wouldn't take nearly as much time as each of the character updates do. I mean, essentially they just need to make a generic mount for each race and then give it a few re-skins, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually, yeah, they're going to need some kind of visual update. Come WoD, everything is going to look so detailed and crispy and then we'll be riding our mounts which some of them haven't been touched since classic WoW. That's like 10 years. Another update they need to do are the old cities that Blizzard likes to ignore now like Thunder Bluff, Silvermoon, and Undercity. I don't think they'll do either for a long time yet though since they're already doing the new player models. Maybe sometime in the middle of WoD we'll hear something about it.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not all older mounts, but the racial mounts need an update. Most of them are older than the Draenei and Blood Elf models and are really rough looking. I think it could happen in a later WoD patch, it has to be a lot easier than new character models.

Quote Originally Posted by justmybass View Post
    Hmm. Although it would be nice i doubt they will invest in updating the mounts. Especially after looking at how long it takes for the character model updates.
    Technially it hasn't taken long at all for the character model updates. They were decided to be used for WOD. WOD wouldn't be here any faster if they had cancelled the player model updates. They just took their time and started a lot longer after they told us they had decided to do it finally.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Considering it's probably the most popular mount model I think the old Drake model needs a heavy revamp, it looks like shit honestly.

I collect mounts. Have 168. Some of them look beautiful and have great coloring and are a gem to parade around. Others, I look at them and laugh at how silly they really look. The netherrays in particular are some of the worst for me personally. Their mouths just look horrible.

A refresh would be nice, but I'd hate to see them pull time away from other great projects to focus on this (mostly) minor quip.

10+ Year Old Account
    mounts don't really need an update in the same way that player models need updates.

just use a different mount that has more polygons and better textures! done.
    Hi

They've been basically updating them by adding new higher-quality versions. This allows them to not have to stick with the "spirit" of the old ones, which is probably the lion's share of the work updating the player models
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure they have been already. Look at the PvP gladiator mounts, the dominance offensive mounts and the SoO mounts. I'm sure they will update the current ones with versions very similar to them (same model but no flag etc.)

I think many NPCs/mounts need AT LEAST new skin/paint coating. Could use same old crappy model but new skin would make a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryxi View Post
    Earlier it occurred to me how dated (like a lot of things in this game) some of the mounts are looking right now. Especially the racial ones. Here's just an example: i.imgur.com/tM92nG8.jpg

Do you think that the new updated character models will look out of place on the older mounts? Though I don't see it happening, personally I think it would be the icing on the cake if Blizzard released racial mount visuals updates along with the character updates in WoD.

I understand that these things take man hours, which is why I don't see it happening anytime soon. But what do you guys think?
    I think the older model mounts def need some love. The newer mounts are very well done, but it makes a majority of the older mounts look lacking. I don't expect it to be one of their top priorities but I could see it done eventually.