Poll: Is the level 90 boost pay to win?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is the level 90 boost pay to win?

Let's be honest now, a major argument people had against it being pay to win was that it did not boost you to max level. Now it does. Since level 90 is maximum level now until WoD comes quite a few months from now, level 90 is end level. The gear you get is enough to get you into LFR, and that is, in my opinion, pay to win. But what is your opinion? Note that I don't care why you think my opinion is wrong, since it's my opinion, it's right for me and that's what matters, I do however care about your opinion on the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not enough to get into any LFR that matters. You can't get into SoO, for instance, without upgrading that gear further with 496 item drops from Timeless Isle.

Deleted
    Its not pay to win because you dont win anything. Its an MMO, as long as you dont get every item in the game you havent won anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you consider "Welcome to Wing 1 ToT LFR & grinding Timeless Isle" as 'winning', then... I guess...

But...

Deleted
    Win what? Last I checked this was a coop game, so winning is only to the benefit of your fellow players. So unless you get full top PvP gear, and a special button that insta-kills the entirety of the opposite team, I'd say it is a convenience micro-transaction for the people that don't want to spend 30-40 hours or whatever it takes to get to max level these days.

Deleted
    No.

*adding extra text*

In an MMO, anything that you can acquire in-game via out-of-game means is pay to win. Cosmetic, skipping content, gear, it doesn't matter.

All players in an MMO should abide by the same rules. Paying cash outside of the game should not effect these rules.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercentric View Post
    In an MMO, anything that you can acquire in-game via out-of-game means is pay to win. Cosmetic, skipping content, gear, it doesn't matter.

All players in an MMO should abide by the same rules. Paying cash outside of the game should not effect these rules.
    You mean in a pay to play MMO, right?

Yeah it's definitely pay to win. They gear you out in all greens. GREENS! Now if that's not pay to win...

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been a lot of threads about this including one at 70 pages that's ongoing. The correct answer is that apparently no one has agreed on a definition of what pay-to-win means, no one has been able to define very clearly what winning actually is in WoW, and that people have their own opinions about it which are unlikely to change. Personally my own definition of pay-to-win are store items of immense power that can only be gotten through the store. So, no. Getting into Raid Finder is more like pay-to-lose for a lot of people.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Did you really just saying buying COSMETIC ITEMS is pay to win? By your logic all players MUST raid Molten Core AT 60 or that would be skipping content. SMH....I am beginning to understand why most people hate these threads.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

No. Getting to 90 is hardly "winning" in WoW. I'm pretty sure I could train my dog to level a character to 90. Getting to 90 takes time, but very little else. You're not bypassing any kind of skill check by buying a level 90.

"Pay to win" would be a "pick 3 items of your choice from Heroic Garrosh's loot table for $30" service or a "kill all enemy players in the battleground/arena instantly" button. A shit-geared level 90 is nothing like that. If anything, I consider the paid level 90 a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    You mean in a pay to play MMO, right?
    You pay a subscription fee for an MMO to access all the content. The subscription fee is necessary because there are costs in running the servers and developing content that everyone can access.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Did you really just saying buying COSMETIC ITEMS is pay to win? By your logic all players MUST raid Molten Core AT 60 or that would be skipping content. SMH....I am beginning to understand why most people hate these threads.
    Buying cosmetic items is pay to win. Plain and simple.

In an MMO everyone is playing together. Players earn things by putting in the effort in-game. Just because something doesn't effect combat doesn't mean it's not pay to win.

I see it as a time saver/ content skipper for those that do not want to repeat the leveling process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The gear you get is enough to get you into LFR, and that is, in my opinion, pay to win..
    If you consider getting into Throne of Thunder LFR (ie, last patch's content) pay2win then I guess you won the game...

Personally, my 90 boost didn't come with a Garrosh Heroic kill achievement or 580ilvl gear.

Pay to win is when you can get game-breaking items/skills/whatever or max tier stuff through the store. Here the case is neither.

This is more like "pay2entrylevel". It puts you on the same footing as someone who just finished levelling their character up. From there you still have to put the effort in to get into the endgame.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-03-10 at 09:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    no one has agreed on a definition of what pay-to-win means, no one has been able to define very clearly what winning actually is in WoW
    that doesn't mean we can't argue anew in this thread though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You pay a subscription fee for an MMO to access all the content. The subscription fee is necessary because there are costs in running the servers and developing content that everyone can access.

- - - Updated - - -

Buying cosmetic items is pay to win. Plain and simple.

In an MMO everyone is playing together. Players earn things by putting in the effort in-game. Just because something doesn't effect combat doesn't mean it's not pay to win.
    How is obtaining cosmetic items pay to win? What exactly are you winning?
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Nilil View Post
    I see it as a time saver/ content skipper for those that do not want to repeat the leveling process.
    There is an in-game solution to problems like these.

Sort of. They found a way to walk carefully on the side of acceptable.

As has been stated dozens of times, time is the most valuable currency in an MMO. Selling gold is really selling the time it takes to acquire the gold, not the currency itself. The weeks you spend leveling is a lot of time and they found a way to monetize it.

It's not surprising that people defend it. They're the same people who defended Blizzard going back on their statements about never allowing transfers from PvE to PvP and vice versa. Some people are gullible enough to believe $60 isn't a lot of money and that it's a reasonable request for Blizzard to ask you to pay to skip content you paid to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfstan View Post
    How is obtaining cosmetic items pay to win? What exactly are you winning?
    Everything in WoW has to come from somewhere. The EXP you gain from killing mobs or completing quests. The herbs you gather. The ore you mine. The mounts you buy.

Just about everything you do in WoW is some form of progression, some form of "winning". The kind of players that support bad design like this are only interested in the end-game. But there's more to WoW than just raiding and arena. There's mount collecting. There's pet collecting. There's coming up with/collecting transmogifications. There's reputations, completing quest chains, tradeskills, playing the AH, etc.

When you purchase something out of game, where does it come from? Where is the in-game effort to acquire it? It comes from nowhere and that's why it hurts the integrity of the game.

WoW is an MMO, you play it with other players. How everyone acquires things is your business because it effects you too.

If this was a single-player game then it wouldn't matter.