Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    It's still quite a lot of time. Depending on how much it can suck me in it's a matter of days. Now I'll have to weigh my interest in this universe against the time investment it requires.
    It's a very long book. 60 hours is pretty much what you should expect of such an extensive story.

Also, if that's what you see as a "long" vn, I'd love to see you try MuvLuv. ;D

It's still quite a lot of time. Depending on how much it can suck me in it's a matter of days. Now I'll have to weigh my interest in this universe against the time investment it requires.
    It was basically the same issue for me starting out - I'd heard it was long as hell and the first hour felt a little slow, the second hour felt like it dragged a lot as info-dumping occurs, then as the game kicks into higher gears from 2 hours on, the rest of the time flew. The handy thing is that it's basically broken up into chapters - presented as separate days. So you can play through a day - a couple of hours, then it'll basically come to an episodic type conclusion for that particular act, before going onto the next day, or interlude.

If anything, start playing it and put a couple of hours in, then watch or do something else, come back another time, dump more time in and so on and so forth. It's kind of like reading the Game of Thrones books - it's a hell of a lot to wade through, but it certainly feels worthwhile as soon as you get into it. In my opinion, anyway. Just don't feel that you have to force your way through it.

the VN is longer than the lord of the rings trilogy + hobbit

10+ Year Old Account
    @ reading a "lets play type thing": even reading short descriptions for the story doesn't do it much justice. things like x fights x while y fights y goes from a 10 minute enjoying read to a 5 second sentence.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I think in order for me to enjoy Gankutsuou I'm going to have to banish the original book from my head, otherwise I'll spend the whole time nitpicking deviations from the original.
    I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie, and I actually enjoyed comparing the two. I do own the book though. I should get around to reading it eventually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Not exactly. Kiritsugu was indeed hired by the Einzberns - and a huge part of his payment /was/ Illya. A high-grade descendant is extremely valuable to magicians and he lacked one at the moment.

The war he fought in was supposed to be the last, with Irisviel being the sacrifice for the Grail, and Illya was not initially supposed to become the vessel. The modifications she was given were there just in case Kiritsugu failed to win - and since that indeed happened, she was further changed, cutting the life span and summoning Berserker.
    Fate/Zero spoilers I'm not so sure Illya was part of the payment. Kiritsugu isn't your average Magus, I don't think he really gave a shit about having a descendant. He doesn't even have all of his father's crest and it's not like he really cares about passing down any sort of knowledge.

Illya was just a backup plan in case Kiritsugu and Iri failed. Sure, Kiritsugu cared about her, but it wasn't because he wanted a high-grade descendant.

OH. I did not know Beast's Lair had finished their translation finally.

...Guess I'm playing F/S from scratch again. Note: This video is spoilery as hell later on.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2014-07-15 at 03:16 PM.

not anime related but
    omg bill nye doing an ama http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nd_ceo_of_the/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    OH. I did not know Beast's Lair had finished their translation finally.

[video=youtube;Q0rMA6piiUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rMA6piiUE[video]

...Guess I'm playing F/S from scratch again.
    That is such a poor trailer lol.

But yeah, once I finish my current VNs I might end up going back and reading it again. To those that haven't read it, that's the version you should get.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Fate/Zero spoilers I'm not so sure Illya was part of the payment. Kiritsugu isn't your average Magus, I don't think he really gave a shit about having a descendant. He doesn't even have all of his father's crest and it's not like he really cares about passing down any sort of knowledge.

Illya was just a backup plan in case Kiritsugu and Iri failed. Sure, Kiritsugu cared about her, but it wasn't because he wanted a high-grade descendant.
    Not so much "part of" as "the vast majority". Hell, it is even explicitly mentioned that Irisviel was only equipped with a functional womb so as to be able to give birth to Kiritsugu's child - if not for Illya being his payment it would be easier to just create her the way Iris was made instead of the roundabout, natural birth.

Illya was both the payment and the shackle that was supposed to keep Kiritsugu loyal - and since he's a mongrel she failed at the latter. :[
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2014-07-15 at 03:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Not so much "part of" as "the vast majority". Hell, it is even explicitly mentioned that Irisviel was only equipped with a functional womb so as to be able to give birth to Kiritsugu's child - if not for Illya being his payment it would be easier to just create her the way Iris was made instead of the roundabout, natural birth.

Illya was both the payment and the shackle that was supposed to keep Kiritsugu loyal - and since he's a mongrel she failed at doing that. :[
    Fate/Zero Even so, it wasn't because he wanted a high-grade descendant. Kiritsugu doesn't give a shit about stuff like that. In the drama CD, Irisviel actually convinces him to have a child with her, but I don't know if that is canon. I'm too lazy to try and find mention of the reason in other material.

Drama CD in question.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2014-07-15 at 03:42 PM.

Looking back over the past few pages, there's way too much anime discussion in this Fate Chat Thread.

I'm surprised they'd even bother to put that in the Reade, but I guess they had to.
    edit: I'm kinda wondering if I should go for the h-mod as well, since that's not what I intended.
    Install the H-Mod, now that I've read about it, the H-Mod basically ties into all he new openings and music remixes, etc, but you can disable any actual h-scenes in the options menu.

edit: I'm kinda wondering if I should go for the h-mod as well
    the answer is clearly yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised they'd even bother to put that in the Reade, but I guess they had to.
    edit: I'm kinda wondering if I should go for the h-mod as well, since that's not what I intended.
    I'd say yes because the alternatives are often really silly. Imo, Heaven's Feel is actually brought down heavily by not having H-Scenes, it loses a lot of impact.

You can just fast forward through them if you want later, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    well after all this fate talk it made me want to re-read the VN, and that RN has made it even more so...
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I'd say yes because the alternatives are often really silly. Imo, Heaven's Feel is actually brought down heavily by not having H-Scenes, it loses a lot of impact.

You can just fast forward through them if you want later, anyway.
    Indeed. Besides, who'd want to skip Rin x Saber?

Deleted
    ah alright.

I should've known.

Won't skip anything once it's in. It's not like I don't like it.
    Remember that H scenes are the original ones. It's whatever they put in instead that's the modification to source material, not the other way around. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    also its a bit sad that since the last fate I watched was zero in english with my dad so I heard mongrel in english while watching that trailer and had to go "wait that doesn't sound right" to myself...
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    not anime related but
    omg bill nye doing an ama http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nd_ceo_of_the/
    We do things in the name of science so this is totally related.