Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Getting started using WoD 90 Boost is tough

Hello,

Yesterday at work I watched a 40min lore video on the warcraft universe.. I haven't touched WoW in like a year or so but the nostalgia effect kicked in big time for me and I went home pre ordered WoD and decided to re-roll on a new server playing as alliance (8 years horde yo,).

You are basically handed gear to get you into raid finder and crack on with Isle stuffs, within 20 mins i had killed celestials and picked up my Tier legs, dont worry this isnt a "omfg they give epics out for free now omg" but upon HS back to stormwind I went about the first thing I normally do when picking up a decent new item and looked to gem and enchant... and noticed I had 178g in my bag :-(. This presents a problem for me now being on the back foot I have to stop progressing on gearing up and start either grinding dailies or leveling professions from zero (which again for some of them is tough with no gold.)

My gripe/suggestion is rather than being handed a full set of 483ilvl (or whatever it is) when i boosted I would have rather had basic gear requiring me to start with heroic dungeons (not lfr) and maybe 1000g in the bank to get me going. I dunno if anyone else has boosted a fresh toon on a new server and run into the same problem but it does feel a little crippling atm.

Aside from that only played for a few hours tbf but a new server (Silvermoon EU) and new faction feels fresh and brand new and im enjoying myself so far.

Deleted
    You get about 100g per LFR run. I stricly play healers that can't make money for themsleves, but I keep my economy balanced on doing RF alone. I never needed to use the gold my main has when I boosted my 90.

Another tip is to go to the thunder isle and get a key and do the solo scenario. You get coins for the first LFR's and they will get you more gold faster.

It's not as hard work as you think

random heroics still get you a decent ammount of gold, from the end bonus and any loot ya get to vendor, for close to no deaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    I understand your idea but don't get down on it, it's way easier and fast to make gold now than before in your time.

You might get extremely unlucky and get an extremely bad group for LFR and then you get repair bills in the process but it's part of the game...

Also, you can get into a guild... nowadays a lot of guild just have so much crap in the guild bank they give away gems and enchants for even new trial members.

All in all, just chill and play slowly and steady. Next expansion is still a long way ahead so you basicaly have at least 4 months to view the content you missed.

Do they give boosted chars flying in pandaria? I would hope so. If yes, then:
    http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=7997#comments
    Free gold laying around.

Was the "real" goal for these characters that get a boost, not to be used (the intention) pre WOD?

I think they are meant to be used at the start of WoD. Not only will things be challenging at first (due to the stupid itemlevels you have) and then later on you need to quest during WoD to get max again. Then you'll have a lot of gold.

I doubt very much that new players will start now pre WoD. Some do sure, but not a lot. And if they do, they won't have WoD preordered already. Well some do, but not a lot (see how few NEW players will actually have access to a boosted toon?).

So currently for non-new players who have given away all their gold when they quit before, yes it sucks a bit. You could still go questing - do dailies and whatnot. You'd be rich in no time.

When I'm feeling poor I do the Isle of Thunder dailies for some quick gold and other than hat just doing all the LFR, being a Prot Paladin with enchanting, gets me enough o keep going. Hell I've always wondered what people spend gold on
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem here, If you start on a new server, regardless, you'll start with nothing, But at 90 you can get thousands of gold pretty damn quickly, just run some RF or as suggested above go to the Isle of Thunder, Or if you have gold on another server your Horde is on, buy some pets, learn them, and cage them on your new realm and sell them, But if you want to get professions that will make you gold, without spending any, get gathering ones, With mining and skinning you'll have loads of gold, especially considering the lower level mats normally sell for more than the higher level counterparts

Since the battle pets are account-wide, you could also try caging the ones where it's possible and selling them at the AH of your new realm? Or buying at your old realm, learning, caging and selling at the new one.

thats why its bad to boost to 90.

roll new char, get to 60 then boost.

you get all the gold from 1-60+2 professions maxed. much better deal consider getting 1-60 take a day maybe.

i did the same just without the boosting part, i leveled alliance on silvermoon eu and had great fun. reached 90 and i have tons of gold.

if u need some gold u can sell pets to ah, it help that you can send some over from your horde characters.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Head to THE Isle of Thunder. Do THE intro scenario's. Tag/kill à rare or find a trove of the Thunder King. Get the key to the palace of Lei Shen. You get. Some loot, Coins and Gold.
    Do heroïcs, raid Finder or Dailies.
    You're on Silvermoon EVERYTHING sells instantly on the AH ! I levend from 1 to 90 and soldaten everything I looted. You have no idea how easy that is compared to other servers.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Deleted
    It's probably because the level 90 boost was meant for WoD, where you go to Draenor to start questing. The gear is even tuned for first levels on Draenor. The first items you get on Draenor are few ilvls higher that boosted gear, so it was clearly meant for that. But if you want easy gold try Guo Lai cache key farming, just search it on youtube.

Deleted
    Your mistake was boosting from 0 to 90 you should of leveled to 60 first to get maxed out professions

Quote Originally Posted by Oishi View Post
    I'm not sure if they were still planning to do the boost intro area once WoD hits. As far as I know that would have eased you in a little better, with the intro experience, 10+ levels of dungeon content/heroics then raiding. (LFR is a little on the easy side, but definitely could be overwhelming if you're new back).
    Yes, it's still in the cards. It works exactly the same for everyone when you do the Tanaan intro on the beta; it just gradually unlocks your abilities as it goes along (obviously for veteran players that part does nothing for you)

An enchanter that does the key treasure hunt thing on thunder isle every week to cap out 20 coins, and then runs the old LFR's once and coins every boss can make plenty of gold. Coins have pretty much 100% chance to give you an extra epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    100g is more than enough to get started.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Neegtop View Post
    Hello,

Yesterday at work I watched a 40min lore video on the warcraft universe.. I haven't touched WoW in like a year or so but the nostalgia effect kicked in big time for me and I went home pre ordered WoD and decided to re-roll on a new server playing as alliance (8 years horde yo,).

You are basically handed gear to get you into raid finder and crack on with Isle stuffs, within 20 mins i had killed celestials and picked up my Tier legs, dont worry this isnt a "omfg they give epics out for free now omg" but upon HS back to stormwind I went about the first thing I normally do when picking up a decent new item and looked to gem and enchant... and noticed I had 178g in my bag :-(. This presents a problem for me now being on the back foot I have to stop progressing on gearing up and start either grinding dailies or leveling professions from zero (which again for some of them is tough with no gold.)

My gripe/suggestion is rather than being handed a full set of 483ilvl (or whatever it is) when i boosted I would have rather had basic gear requiring me to start with heroic dungeons (not lfr) and maybe 1000g in the bank to get me going. I dunno if anyone else has boosted a fresh toon on a new server and run into the same problem but it does feel a little crippling atm.

Aside from that only played for a few hours tbf but a new server (Silvermoon EU) and new faction feels fresh and brand new and im enjoying myself so far.
    Your starting gear is irrelevant since the second you are 90, you head to timeless isle, loot all the chest and get a near full set of 496 anyway.
    As for the starting gold, just do all the lfrs, u get tons of gold in there.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    When I'm feeling poor I do the Isle of Thunder dailies for some quick gold and other than hat just doing all the LFR, being a Prot Paladin with enchanting, gets me enough o keep going. Hell I've always wondered what people spend gold on
    Just in MoP I've spent around 300k (must say I had never really spent gold other than repairs, gear, profs, alts... So in MoP it was like what the heck!) The mount, lightbringer for an alt, some gear here and there... Money goes away quick.

Chain heroics for a day/night and you'll have some gold to start you off. LFR brings in some pretty penny, too.

I guess this really depends on;

1) You have other characters on the server you can get money from
    2) Server population impacting AH prices

I personally would rather have the gear than the gold when I boost, however I do have other characters on my server that I can get money from, plus the AH is dead cheap too for me (Blade's Edge EU). I have however, tried to play my boosted character without getting gold from my other characters, but I'm too impatient to build the gold up.....

Keep the gear and give us 1000g too is what I say.