Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the whole titan/steampunk/dwarf/gnome setting. I don't know, I was just never very into it and people talk about it like it was a golden age...
    Yes, yes you are the only one. /thread

I'm sure there are others who didn't like it either, but regardless Ulduar was some of their best work ever (past Flame Leviathan) with some of the most diverse, interesting and challenging content, with some of the best environmental design and theme.

There are a bunch of people who didn't love the whole Frozen Wasteland theme of Northrend either, and many many like myself who loved it to bits. For example for me MoP is the single worst environmental/theme design ever. It is boring, cluttered, and dips into Asian aesthetics which I really dislike and try to avoid like fire. I'm very very happy that for most of SoO they stayed away from MoP aesthetics altogether.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-08-30 at 07:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't have squat to do with nostalgia. It was my favorite from the first night I raided it and nothing yet has surpassed it in my eyes. The lore, the setting, the visuals, the bosses, the mechanics, the "hard mode" variables, hell even the trash. So many "Oh, wow!" moments in one raid.

Nothing's hit me like that since and I've been raiding since BWL was relevant.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    I don't need to try. I'm just pointing out where people who have nostalgia goggles on are remembering it wrong.

Exactly, and that was my point all along. Ulduar is vastly overrated. It's just average raid in this game with highs and lows just like any other tier.
    Well, I thought SoO was completely boring and bland. In fact, I didn't like any of the bosses in MoP and thought many were just annoying design with shitty setting.

Ulduar was awesome but ye it wasn't perfect, even I don't like vehicle battle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Vehicles have no place in raids.
    And why is this? If they fit the setting, why not? Maybe it's just that vehicles don't fit in your mind because you can't get to show off your epixx?

In fact, we SHOULD have at least a partial vehicle fight in SoO. It's a god damn SIEGE after all. We should use siege weapons and battering rams to breach the gates and walls of Orgrimmar, similar to Wintergrasp/Isle of Conquest/Strand of the Ancients style. That's how it was done also in medieval times.

Now Tyrande just suddenly appears and poof, the door is gone. It could have been done so much better.

Exactly, and that was my point all along. Ulduar is vastly overrated. It's just average raid in this game with highs and lows just like any other tier.
    You're as much entitled to your opinion as everyone else. Don't forget though, that it is nothing more but your opinion. Not a fact. Just your opinion.

For me, Ulduar was the greatest raid Blizzard ever created, period. Everything it had was great. Art design. Boss design. Gear design. Story. Hard modes - which, in my opinion, is a much better way of delivering harder content than stupid right-click-choose-your-difficulty-option. Huge non-linear progression possibilities. Awesome hard last boss. Epic bonus boss. Et cetera, et cetera. I totally loved every aspect of Ulduar.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Did you play it when it was current? I liked the feel of the place but I never liked Flame Leviathan. I used to heal back then but a lot of the fights had easy downtime phases where I could pop Divine Plea and get all my mana back. That was pretty lame. :/
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

I burnt out in Ulduar so it doesn't have the fondest memories for me. Some really stupid fights that weren't fun at all that required boring niche roles to be filled, mostly by tanks which I was.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    "please don't take this to heart " but are you ok ?????
    ulduar is and is mot likely the best raid blizz have made from back in ulduar most the fights was amazing even doing the meta's achv's

razor scale meta achieve still today a great fight
    oh and how about I love the small off saronite in the morning achieve lol

for me ulduar will take some beating lets hope the make WOD close to ulduar and ill be happy man in wod

Yes. You are the only person who didn't like Ulduar.

Grats on rebelling against the mainstream. You rebel hipster you. Your free prize and trophy are by the door on your way out.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2014-08-30 at 08:10 AM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    For me, Ulduar was the greatest raid Blizzard ever created, period. Everything it had was great. Art design. Boss design. Gear design. Story. Hard modes - which, in my opinion, is a much better way of delivering harder content than stupid right-click-choose-your-difficulty-option. Huge non-linear progression possibilities. Awesome hard last boss. Epic bonus boss. Et cetera, et cetera. I totally loved every aspect of Ulduar.
    Overrated, as I said.

Can you explain what's so special or memorable with Thorim and Hodir, where the "hard" modes depends on time and time alone... Was the overtuned trash before Mimiron great that took 1-2 hours to clear? Or the broken Kologarn that only top50 guilds managed to kill first week. Can you honestly say Ulduar is more non-linear than SSC or TK or even BWD?

Order of the bosses should've also been different with Algalon as the real ending because it did complete the Titan storyline of Storm Peaks. Now Ulduar ends with the stupid cop-out of "oild gods did it" that had nothing to do with the actual storylines that brought people there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ckb1978 View Post
    razor scale meta achieve still today a great fight
    What's so great about having to wipe it three times on purpose to get enough dwarves killed? It was the stupidest achievement ever made into any raid.

Order of the bosses should've also been different with Algalon as the real ending because it did complete the Titan storyline of Storm Peaks. Now Ulduar ends with the stupid cop-out of "oild gods did it" that had nothing to do with the actual storylines that brought people there.
    Lawl, you funny.

So Ulduar was built as a prison for an Old God, Yogg-Saron in this case. So the whole point of Ulduar being there was Old Gods. Then YS corrupted the watchers that were his jail keepers. We went and killed Loken because he was corrupted by YS and then when he died it activated a message to the Titans that he had died and some funny things might be going on so they sent Algalon. So the whole root of this was old gods and everything to do with the story line. Official fail on your part.

15+ Year Old Account

But yeah

Overrated, as I said.

Can you explain what's so special or memorable with Thorim and Hodir, where the "hard" modes depends on time and time alone... Was the overtuned trash before Mimiron great that took 1-2 hours to clear? Or the broken Kologarn that only top50 guilds managed to kill first week. Can you honestly say Ulduar is more non-linear than SSC or TK or even BWD?

Wut? Hodir was an interesting positioning fight.

Thorim not that much, but it was also fun exactly because it was so tightly tuned.

I have no idea what are you talking about the Mimiron trash. It was hard but you are exaggerating. There is nothing wrong with trash that you can't LOLAOE down.

Kologarn wasn't broken (ok it was slightly overtuned) but it could be overcome with more gear. I don't understand what is your problem with bosses that only the best of the best can kill?

What do you mean about the Algalon false ending? The Titan story line was wrapped up perfectly. It explained the link between the Old Gods, the Titans and the Curse of Flesh. It was one of the most well done secondary story arcs in WoW. WotLK's primary story arc being the LK storyline the linked into the Old Gods one via the Nerubians and Saronite.

Again as someone said it before. Ulduar being overrated is your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. But your opinion =/= fact.

Overrated, as I said.
    You're not reading well or something? Your opinion, not fact. Also, we're not talking about one feature of the raid. We're talking about all features in the raid taken as whole.

- DPS-check is as valid tactic as any else. Your precious Garrosh the Dumb, AKA Brown Nazi, for example, contains ton of dps checks.

- Thorim as a boss had an untypical tactics. That, and him having a big story beside raid, that tells us how he ended in this raid, made that fight memorable. Also, mindcontrolling task, which is kind of unique too - only three bosses in-game have this task for priests, Thorim being one of them. Hodir, on the other side, was just a solid, good boss, nothing more. Well, you can't have everything at A+++++ level, something has to be just A+. On the other side - Leviathan, the Robot, the Catwoman, Freya, Kologarn, Mimiron, General, Yogg-saron and Algalon - all this fights are A++++++ and are special and memorable.

- Yes, SSC was as nonlinear as Ulduar. Although, SSC had no epic story (HI IM VASHJ IM EVIL FOR NO REASON AND I SUPPORT ILLIDAN WHO IS EVIL FOR NO REASON TOO I TAKE YOUR WATER YOU DIE NAU AHAHAHA don't count, sorry), no epic encounters (beside the fishing one and the elevator-killer boss), and "meh" art. TK is not even comparable here for a ton of reasons, starting from bugged last boss, too small number of bosses overall, yet again dumb story and "meh" art - and it was nonlinear of course, although it is laughable to call nonlinear a raid based on four-rooms-connected-together layout.

My opinion is: you either didn't play Ulduar when it was current raid tier; or you're just a hipster, which has nothing to proud of beyond "i'm so not mainstream look at me how cool i am".
    Last edited by l33t; 2014-08-30 at 08:58 AM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Yes, SSC was as nonlinear as Ulduar. Although, SSC had no epic story (HI IM VASHJ IM EVIL FOR NO REASON AND I SUPPORT ILLIDAN WHO IS EVIL FOR NO REASON TOO I TAKE YOUR WATER YOU DIE NAU AHAHAHA don't count, sorry), no epic encounters (beside the fishing one and the elevator-killer boss), and "meh" art.
    Someone didn't play warcraft 3.

Considering this forum constantly circlejerks around Wrath all the time you're not going to find much luck with that question here. Even if I personally disliked Wrath I still think Ulduar was the only good thing it had, and while I don't think it's as great as everyone else it's still fairly memorable, mostly because of Yoggy though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the whole titan/steampunk/dwarf/gnome setting. I don't know, I was just never very into it and people talk about it like it was a golden age...
    I feel like this is similar to someone saying they don't like puppies.

I don't trust you sir. Something not right about you...

Deleted
    What's so great about having to wipe it three times on purpose to get enough dwarves killed? It was the stupidest achievement ever made into any raid.
    You know you can do the achi over several lockouts, right...?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just loved the titan stuff(artwork, theme, music, story, you name it).

No you aren't, it was my least favourite raid till HoF came out