Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    The EU, United States and Canada, the non-Asian section of the Western system of economics and culture, are the only areas of the world that would be supported by "I am Charlie"-like events. Japan is fourth, but there was much less support for their nuclear accident in the caucasian West than exists for such things in the "core 3".

Turkey, much like Japan, would like to move closer to the non-Asian center of global power.

There are different views on whether this is possible, depending on whether or not you view racism as a dominant element of the West - this view necessitates that the divide between the Asian and non-Asian parts of the modern West cannot be eliminated.
    Public sympathy toward the EU, especially Britain and France, is definitely a curious phenomenon. I think the majority of people in the world, even in their former colonial subjects, tend to see them as rather cute and harmless even though in the back of our minds we all know that they have plenty of military and economic power and have never been shy about exerting either of these on the world stage to advance their own interests, and both have been sort of been exempted from the nearly endless guilt-tripping that practically nearly other world power in history is subjected to.

Literally no one past their "i can save the world"-phase cares about some terrorist loving Turks dying in a suicide bombing, really. Its pathetic to continuously watch people try and compare terriorist attacks done by muslims in Cristian countries like France, England, The US or even Denmark for that matter, to those of the same Muslim terrorists committed in Muslim countries. They invited that to their country by admitting to said belief system.

Its just like no one cares about Cristian fundamentalism in the US... They allow it, ergo deal with it. Not saying its wrong, but its really not eye-opening..

Now when some Cristian crusade terrorist organization launches multiple bombings in Palestine or whatever else down there worth fighting for, ill say it would be equal and deserve equal recognition.

Also quite funny to watch the OP squirm themselves out of calling people out on lies, when it in turn was the OP being clueless. Wich incidentally is often the case with leftist internet warriors .

People dont deserve to die because they disagree with you. That it happened is indeed sad though.

Ankara is akin to Ireland, unlike Paris. Besides, Grand Bassam and the Ivory Coast is probably more concerning for me. The constant political strife since 2002 there and in other states just allows terror groups (yes, I know, broad generalization) to grow. Africa has little capabilities to deal with the various conflicts which in my opinion were problems thrust onto them to begin with. So sure, if you have ties to Turkey or Eastern Europe, you can stand with Ankara. But for the moment, my thoughts will be with today's victim and the community which are constantly overlooked.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35798502
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    No, nobody is gong to change a profile picture or make a hashtag trend because the Turkish aren't white. Did you really need to make a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    ...and both have been sort of been exempted from the nearly endless guilt-tripping that practically nearly other world power in history is subjected to.
    Not really, we just ignore it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    No, nobody is gong to change a profile picture or make a hashtag trend because the Turkish aren't white. Did you really need to make a thread?
    Have you ever met any Turkish people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Uhhuh... So you see yourself as a "rare case", and I'm guessing as someone who has no guilt to be absolved, simply because you post threads on a forum.
    Hey, I'll take a get out of jail free card when i can get one!

Deleted
    I feel sad for them. My thoughts are with them. You can hate Turkish politics and Erdogan all you want but this was regular citizens that died, they're innocent.

I was not charlie or paris, will not be ankara either

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Nobody was really Charlie or really Paris, though, they just adopted a hashtag and washed their hands of even acknowledging the deep and dire nature of the threat they live under. So is the real question "where is our ineffectual hashtag?"
    As someone who's name is Charlie Paris, I find your post offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Funny how France's history wasn't a problem with "we are paris"
    I'd rather support France than Turkey, by a thousandfold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    I'd rather support France than Turkey, by a thousandfold.
    What if it's about civilians dying? As is the case.. Why take a side?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Was and still is occupied by military force, displacing people from their homes for 40 years.

Northern Cyprus is only recognised as a state by Turkey, everyone else recognises it as being part of the Republic of Cyprus under illegal occupation.
    It still is occupied? I thought the troops left at some point... guess I was wrong, I'll go read on the situation more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Fair enough...somewhat. You're a rare case since you go scouring the internet for news stories like I do.
    You have to look for them? Where do you live? It's on headlines everywhere I go...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Yeah, I can already imagine Europeans all changing their Facebook pictures to Turkish flags.

It is still horrible that innocent people died in the attack ofcourse.
    Change? :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    It still is occupied? I thought the troops left at some point... guess I was wrong, I'll go read on the situation more.
    Officially the Turkish have about 20,000 troops, but the UN estimates it as closer to 30,000.

The population in the Northern part of Cyprus is about 300,000, about a quarter-to-half (depending on the source) of which are Turkish and not Cypriots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by En dum en View Post
    What if it's about civilians dying? As is the case.. Why take a side?
    As I said on a previous post, I condemn all terrorist attacks equaly, polititians and leaders fuck up and people pay as the peons they are. Nonetheless I can empathise with France, as I have family there and I see the country as an European sister nation. Turkey on the other hand is so far apart from the European ideals and mentality that, even though I feel for the victims and their families, I can't really feel bad for the country itself. This is karma for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Question is were turks paris and charlie? I'v heard many comments like "They deserved it" from my local germanized turks moslems, don't know if legit native turks see the whole thing with radical islam different than the ones living here.

No one really cares anymore if radical islam kills muslims. Thats the truth, it sadly happens too often. Everyday new suicide bombers anywhere in muslim world. We are used to it.
    http://www.radikal.com.tr/turkiye/ta...stosu-1268302/ You can find shit ton of other reports about demonstrations for Paris/Charlie Hebdo in Turkey. The majority of us Europeans are just brainwashed hypocrites. When Russia invaded Ukraine everyone hated Russia because of media. Now they are bombing ISIS and suddenly people like Russia again. ISIS and Boko-Haram kill shitloads of innocent people on a daily basis, but when 120ish people die in Paris suddenly the whole world has to show their support. Everyone is just brainwashed to be scared of ISIS and hate ISIS, even though ISIS will probably never affect their life.

Also, you do realize that this bomb in Ankara didn't come from a radical muslim or a muslim at all most likely? It's a Kurdish terrorist girl in her early twenties, but yeah everyone is too brainwashed thinking only muslims can be terrorists because when it's Kurds the media is careful to label them as "freedom fighters", "militants", "rebels" or "worker's party (lolololol)" and avoid using the word terrorist at all cost even though the majority of Western countries have the PKK on their official terrorist organisation lists.

Quote Originally Posted by thefkuffyrocker View Post
    The fact that in Paris they targeted very brave people defending free speech with nothing else but words and pictures when they knew what did happen could happen but did it in defiance anyway when most people (including governments with their whole military and police forces to protect them) are too scared too is why we got the response we did around the world.
    And in a country which is known for standing up against oppression and thus people respect them for the brave thing they did (when they themselves wouldn't because they were scared). Even in Britain where we joke about them being surrender monkey's etc we know how brave they are.

Sadly the Turkish bombings are just another incident in a country which is corrupt and oppressive with a wanna-be dictator with little man syndrome in charge who is doing his level best to make the world wide situation worse (shooting down a Russian fighter for example, bombing Kurds instead of ISIS for his own personal gain etc) just to make himself feel important.
    The EU have been dangling the carrot of joining for years in the aim of trying to improve their human rights record and things have improved so much that even now with the migrant crisis when Europe really needs Turkey's help they still can't bring themselves to even vaguely promise Turkey can join in the foreseeable future as things have actually got worse lately.

So trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

One group stood steadfastly in defiance of terrorism and paid the price and what they did was so important they need to be remembered and what they did needs to carry on.
    The other group were sadly just another set of victims of terrorism and while it is sad it just doesn't compare.

Maybe if Turkey and it's people took more of a stand against terrorism people would care more but at the moment a lot of people see Turkey as being not far away from ISIS and the Taliban.

To many people it is like comparing Germany and Russia in WW2. Stalin may have been a brutal dictator but at least he was supposedly fighting on our side against another brutal dictator who was currently more dangerous to the world so to that end we tried to accommodate him but he was still a brutal dictator in a brutal country and that is generally why people feel less for the 20+ million Russians who died than they do for the million or so Allied troops peoples that died in the war.
    This post is so full of shit. Charlie Hebdo just publishes retarded offensive comics to offend people to show that they can offend people. They don't protest for freedom of speech, they abuse freedom of speech to insult people since that's all they are good at. Nobody gave a shit about Charlie Hebdo before those attacks, yet they were doing the same shit before the attacks that they continued doing during and after the attacks. It's funny how nobody was considering them as paragons of free speech until somebody decided to fuck them up, even though what they were doing has always been the same. You might call what they are doing "brave", I just call it stupid.

Also, the attacks on Paris later that year had shit to do with freedom of speech and people around the world were following the hive mind even more in covering their facebook pictures with French flags and more crap like that. It's only sad when it's Europeans or Americans dying pretty much. You can't rationalize hypocrisy. You can just admit it.

The overwhelming majority of people in Turkey are against terrorism just as much as any other country in the world. It's just because here all media is so busy portraying Erdogan as a dictator and an accomplice of ISIS and people just love to eat that shit up without questioning it, since it "proves" that we Western Europeans are "superior" in every single way, whether it's development of the country, religion or culture, that people seriously get the idea that Turkey supports terrorism to the point where even ordinary citizens are supporting it. It's hilarious how stupid and brainwashed most Europeans are. They're really not that much different from Turks in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Its horrible what happened, but my country is a lot closer to France(both geographic and cultural), so it is no surprise Paris/charlie is covered more. Its a lot closer to home.
    Its easy to get to Paris by car, it'd take days to get to Turkey. Just to put it in perspective.
    Charlie was covered across the world, just like 9/11 for example or even the Boston bombing. Turkey is probably closer to you than any city in the USA, and it will just take you two days to reach Istanbul instead of one day for Paris so the distance argument is just stupid. The cultural argument is the only one that applies here, but even then are we seriously going to sugarcoat not giving a shit whenever something happens outside of Europe because those people happen to be slightly different culturally? I thought all this support was for humanity and peace. I guess only Europeans are humans and only they deserve peace lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    This. While the current regime rules the land Turkey is far from an european country in all senses of the word, imo. And it'd be a sad cold day the day they're allowed to join the EU while still supporting the ideas they do today.

Human losses at the hands of terrorists is always a sad and despicable thing, but I'd be lying if I say I could empathise with the country, who has been the major culprit of back alley deals with ISIS and their oil, among other things.
    Yeah because European countries have such clean slates. What a joke. The whole reason that region is even fucked up to the extent it is, is because of American/European meddling and interference. Pretty much every European country still trades and does business with Saudi Arabia, who also behead plenty of people and lash them in public for saying things about Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Nobody was really Charlie or really Paris, though, they just adopted a hashtag and washed their hands of even acknowledging the deep and dire nature of the threat they live under. So is the real question "where is our ineffectual hashtag?"
    Pretty much yeah, people just want to be part of the herd so they can feel they are part of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    There is that too... and their continual attacks on the Kurds (one of the groups that are actually fighting ISIS instead of handwaving and fingerpointing)
    Yes, when one group of terrorists start attacking other terrorists suddenly they become good guys. You guys are hilarious. The Kurds Turkey are bombing are terrorist shitscum just as much as ISIS is. Don't think for a second that those Kurdish terrorists fighting ISIS do it because "it's the good thing to do" or because they care about Westerners. It's because they are left no other choice and want to cover their own asses. ISIS has been around for a longer time and before them there were other radicals in that area, and Kurds didn't do shit about it since they didn't have to. Also, those "heroic" Peshmerga fighters actually get trained by Turkey who is supposedly best buddies with the guys they are fighting if we were to believe Western media. Makes total sense right?

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    While I'm not very informed on the situation, I do find the insistence by Turkey that they are European and not Middle Eastern as sort of beneath of the dignity of a self-respecting nation, almost like they are groveling to be accepted as fellow whites by disinterested Europeans while disclaiming any connection with those dirty, swarthy, terrorist Arabs who are absolutely not like Turks in any way whatsoever, honest.
    A lot of Turks don't give a shit about the EU and Europeans honestly. They're just trying to milk it for benefits for as long as possible and therefore play along, and so far it's still working. This refugee crisis is perfect. If they don't cooperate with Turkey Europe will be flooded by refugees in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    France does not illegally occupy the territory of a current EU member state, Turkey does. France does not constantly encroach on the air space of their neighbour, Turkey does.

Many of us have much common ground with France, but not with Turkey. Showing sympathy for those we can identify with is normal in humans.
    How many people seriously know about the politics of Cyprus or Turkey violating Greek air space? That's honestly not the reason people don't feel sympathy for Turks. Even if Turkey was a EU member people still wouldn't give a shit, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Literally no one past their "i can save the world"-phase cares about some terrorist loving Turks dying in a suicide bombing, really. Its pathetic to continuously watch people try and compare terriorist attacks done by muslims in Cristian countries like France, England, The US or even Denmark for that matter, to those of the same Muslim terrorists committed in Muslim countries. They invited that to their country by admitting to said belief system.
    You're an idiot. It's just innocent civilians who died and the terrorist who blew herself up most likely isn't even muslim and definitely didn't do it for Islam, she did it for her Kurdish seperatist terrorist movement.

As for the last part of what I quoted, I'm not even gonna comment on that. You went full fucking retard there.

10+ Year Old Account
    24 April 1915, never forget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that's been "Charlie" should really try to gather more information on what they "are".

I always feel bad when innocent civilians die, but there is a substantive difference between Turkey and France.

Turkey's actively seeking to crush the self-determination of the Kurds, and has engaged in collective violence and punishment of Kurdish villages. The Turkish government has also had a hand in supporting, arming, and funding ISIS.

Does that mean innocent Turks deserve to die, even if they support such a government? No, of course not. But neither do Kurdish civilians, and truckloads of them have died or been displaced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the Turkish people come out in droves to support France? And was it a European suicide bomber?

These situations are not equivalent in the public eye, and neither should they be; to suggest so is to oversimplify. While the deaths of civilians is always tragic, making an automatic appeal to hypocrisy in an attempt to gain sympathy comes off as manipulative at best.