Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    Yeah, it's not like the Nordics have significantly lower violent crime rates, lower relapse into crime rates and a much much smaller portion of their populace incarcerated. It's too bad not everyone takes after the wildly succesful US prison system which doesn't breed criminality at all.
    I am sure he's not a danger to anyone, so maybe you should take him home with you.. I'd be okay with that.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    You never know, mass killers in sweden is getting released, like Mattias Flink killed 7 people and is now a free man after 20 years. Now Breivik killed alot more people but they could do the same thing there.
    Sweden=!Norway. It's highly unlikely Breivik will ever see freedom again.

10+ Year Old Account
    prison is a place for punishment. not a place to vacation.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Why is he still alive?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I have read enough about this.

24/7 Isolation with no contact to other people ever is against human rights. No matter what you did, you are still a human being with rights.

And he has the right to sue.
    I disagree. While, for people that are expected to be released from prison at one point, rehabilitation is more important than punishment, once you're expected to be there for life for actions such as the one Brevik did the rehabilitation aspect disappears.

So, since these people have proven that they can't be and won't be rehabilitated, there is one question left. What purpose do they still serve? To society? To anyone really?
    Well, normally I'd wager that they're kept alive due to the fact that there could still be charged wrongly. And that is ok. However, this guy was not charged wrongly, he was seen on cameras, he admitted to doing it, ample evidence was found.

So, there is no doubt that he's a mass murderer and that rehabilitation is out of the question.

Now, from my point of view, now we come to another thing, what makes us humans better than animals? Why, it's free thought and the ability to tell right from wrong! But certain elements of society, like mass murderers, can't tell right from wrong. And while you could say that they still have free thought, they still acted against the law, killing other human beings, knowing that what they did was wrong. When a tiger meets someone in a jungle and kills them, it can't understand if what he did is wrong, it only does it based on instinct, if it's hungry or feels his territory is threatened, he will kill you, if not, no.

So, from this point of view, I could consider that tiger better than mass murderers. Why? Well, because mass murderers kill knowing the full consequences of their actions, knowing that what they do is wrong, not because they can't control themselves, but on the contrary.

And what do we do with animals? Well, we cage them, we kill them. And since I have reached the conclusion that animals are above mass murderers... why would mass murderers deserve rights above animals?

And usually I know that someone comes with the same argument "but it's a human being!" so let's do it another way. You're in a room with an endangered siberian tiger and Adolf Hitler. You know you will be saved after a period of time, but if you, Hitler and the tiger don't eat before that, you will all die. You have the choice, kill the endangered siberian tiger and eat it with Hitler or kill Hitler and eat him with the tiger. Would you put any importance to Hitler's "human" rights? Because if you say no, and would kill him, you've already proven that you don't mind killing mass murderers, the question is only how much crime must they have done to deserve death. And if you say that you'd kill the tiger, it means that you'd rather save a mass murderer rather than an animal that had done nothing wrong and is facing extinction, otherwise said, you'd save a criminal rather than the patrimony of our planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Ye. Which is why its so obvious its just torture. I would assume the same about norwegian ones. But how much entertainment is allowed would atleast make it a bit more bearable.

Even if its breivik, i'm not comfortable with the justice/government system being allowed to torture anybody.
    So when they put him in with others for social interaction and someone laces his ass then what will you say?

Keep them in PC= Torture

Put them with others and they get assaulted = Torture

Can't win either way, so just leave his ass in solitary its less paper work.

Deleted
    The people in the court should ask him about the human rights of the 77 people he murdered in cold blood. Would like to see the weasel try to squirm his way around that one.

Something to ponder. Does someone who butchers 77 people in the name of some batshit crazy nazi creed ... qualify as human? Maybe not! Therefore, no rights. Sorry Anders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    Why is he still alive?

Because vicious murderers have feelings too. That is more important than all the families and friends of the murdered folks.

Deleted
    Yeah, it's not like the Nordics have significantly lower violent crime rates, lower relapse into crime rates and a much much smaller portion of their populace incarcerated. It's too bad not everyone takes after the wildly succesful US prison system which doesn't breed criminality at all.
    I am swedish, fyi. But i still feel that we're too soft on some prisoners. I read today that two men got deported after raping a 12 year old immigrant boy. Why is it that no immigrants that rape women get deported? We'll never find out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Oh, theres a lot of people who wants to talk to him. He has quite the "little" fan club out there.
    I think a lot of people have a (morbid) curiosity in regards to what drives murderers. There's a lot of series on TV trying to give insights into the minds of killers for example. I can imagine that picking Anders's brain would also be very interesting to a lot of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Because vicious murderers have feelings too. That is more important than all the families and friends of the murdered folks.
    Tis a pity it is seen that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Prison isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to be punishment.
    Its supposed to keep people away from society because they are dangerous, not torture them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Its supposed to keep people away from society because they are dangerous, not torture them.
    Yes yes...we get it. The mass-murderer has feelings too.

Prison isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to be punishment.
    Not necessarily, prison is often meant as rehabilitation, though Breivik is a 100% lost cause, but if they change the system for him he has won.

I think a lot of people have a (morbid) curiosity in regards to what drives murderers. There's a lot of series on TV trying to give insights into the minds of killers for example. I can imagine that picking Anders's brain would also be very interesting to a lot of people.
    I read he was a guild leader in WoW. A lot of his guild mates supposedly still support him on some level.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Not necessarily, prison is often meant as rehabilitation.
    Maybe over there.

Here it is a "You fcked up. Now pay the price of your wrong doings."

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe over there.

here i agree with you bucksparkles.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Maybe over there.

Both have merits, one is for revenge the other for atonement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardeth View Post
    fine, maybe it is, but by that logic then surely even detainment in prison in the first place is torture, and we're not proposing the abolition of the justice system entirely are we?
    By that logic it is not torture.
    If you want to know the difference, try going into an isolation for 1 week. Just 1 week, I think you'll understand it better then.

Deleted
    Totally. Society immigration hurts his feelings so he goes out and murders people. Then the victim's families feelings are hurt by that, so we murder him. But then maybe his family / followers feelings get hurt, so we should probably murder someone else. And who's that going to upset? Let's just cut the middle man and murder EVERYONE because killing people is GREAT!

After all, if killing other humans wasn't so fantastic, we'd never have discovered it all those millions of years ago when we were living in caves. And hey, if people are going back to shit like paleo diets and rejecting modern medicine like vaccinations, then we may as well just go back to slaughtering each other over anything and everything. We're already basically half way there in some countries, stoning people for this and that and pushing the gays off hotel roofs so IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUND, right fellow humans?!

Jesus fucking christ...

Bunch of animals, seriously.