Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The depth and extent of stupidity in this thread is amazing. Even for it being one of Tennisace's mentally challenged and flamebait threads.

US presence in Japan is a requirement for Japanese national security as the US acts as its guarantor. But the US doesn't only act as the guarantor of Japanese national security, but it also acts as the agent that both created and indirectly enforces the Japanese constitution.

It's hilarious to me how all the Weabos here white knighting Japanese women are unaware that Japan is by far the single most virulently sexist (not to mention rabidly and furiously racist) developed society in the world. The entire Japanese constitution was written by the US occupation and shoved down the throat of Japan at effectively gun point. It's that constitution that elevated women from chattel/property into a point where they actually have some rights (at least on paper).

While US presence on the Islands might irk nationalists in reality it's that very presence that dragged Japan kicking and screaming out of its semi feudal culture.

Should soldiers committing crimes in Japan be handed over to Japanese authorities for persecution? Absolutely. With a major caveat. The Japanese court system is NOTORIOUSLY incompetent. In Japan conviction rates are extremely and insanely high, this not due to the excellent police work of Japanese law enforcement, but due to a lack of an independent judiciary or an interest in due process. Essentially in Japan if the Police takes you to court, you will be convicted...unless you have the commercial or familial ties to not give a shit.

But let's not try to paint the American presence there as a whole malevolent, and paint Japanese society as some poor victim of American imperialism or racism.

And this is coming from someone who is generally highly critical of US military interventionism.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-03-16 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    They're soldiers. Marines are soldiers. Army soldiers are soldiers. The crazy guys wearing bras and pink wigs in Liberia are soldiers. I don't care about your moronic vernacular. And boohoo about a loss of rank. A good portion of people would be immediately fired upon receiving a DUI. If the soldier were facing a DUI in Japan, he'd face up to 10 years in prison.
    You really need to stop speaking on a subject you clearly have no knowledge of. The loss of rank in many cases is career ending. A SSgt getting busted down to Sgt will never pick up rank again and will be forced out. Never seen any company fire someone for a DUI unless they are in the transportation business. Seriously just stop already.

Quote Originally Posted by Skilrathos View Post
    You really need to stop speaking on a subject you clearly have no knowledge of. The loss of rank in many cases is career ending. A SSgt getting busted down to Sgt will never pick up rank again and will be forced out. Never seen any company fire someone for a DUI unless they are in the transportation business. Seriously just stop already.
    Exactly what I said. The military doesn't fire people for DUI, making them a far more lenient profession in terms of DUIs, at least in terms of ones committed against other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    American troops doing crime is pretty unacceptable, those who do this should go to prison for a long time
    They typically do.

Contrary to popular belief, U.S. servicemen are held to a legal standard and are prosecuted when they commit criminal acts.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly what I said. The military doesn't fire people for DUI, making them a far more lenient profession in terms of DUIs, at least in terms of ones committed against other countries.
    IDK if you're still in or not, but especially since the drawdowns, you can and do get kicked out for DUI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    WTF???? YOU are the OP!!! Cannot belive you actually just congratulated yourself! /smh
    I'm pointing out that a story exposing the rapes committed by foreign soldiers is rare..

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    it would also prevent dumb ass young marines and sailors doing something really stupid, getting married to the first asian women that says hello to them when they cant afford to get married

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that's really necessary. What should happen is the military should stop protecting soldiers who commit crimes, and the Japanese government should stop accepting that. If a soldier commits rape on leave, the military should have little to nothing to do with his prosecution. He should face a Japanese prosecution, and go to a Japanese jail.
    or not let them go outside and none of it would happen at all, they can just sit inside base and rape the american women instead, so they can go to military prison

- - - Updated - - -

depending on the crime, if you get a DUI you lose shit load of rank, if you are enlisted you might never see E7 and above, and if the CO was having a bad day when he hears about your DUI he can send you to prison and get a dishonorable discharge. i have known people for going to jail for 6 months for drinking when they were not 21 yet then get kicked out.

Considering how much the US is deployed throughout the world, it would do well to see it being investigated proper and being dealt with accordingly...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    My question is, why do we still even have 50,000+ american soldiers in Japan in the first place? >.>
    To deter both China and Japan from throwing stones at each other and their neighbours again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The depth and extent of stupidity in this thread is amazing. Even for it being one of Tennisace's mentally challenged and flamebait threads.

US presence in Japan is a requirement for Japanese national security as the US acts as its guarantor. But the US doesn't only act as the guarantor of Japanese national security, but it also acts as the agent that both created and indirectly enforces the Japanese constitution.

It's hilarious to me how all the Weabos here white knighting Japanese women are unaware that Japan is by far the single most virulently sexist (not to mention rabidly and furiously racist) developed society in the world. The entire Japanese constitution was written by the US occupation and shoved down the throat of Japan at effectively gun point. It's that constitution that elevated women from chattel/property into a point where they actually have some rights (at least on paper).

While US presence on the Islands might irk nationalists in reality it's that very presence that dragged Japan kicking and screaming out of its semi feudal culture.

Should soldiers committing crimes in Japan be handed over to Japanese authorities for persecution? Absolutely. With a major caveat. The Japanese court system is NOTORIOUSLY incompetent. In Japan conviction rates are extremely and insanely high, this not due to the excellent police work of Japanese law enforcement, but due to a lack of an independent judiciary or an interest in due process. Essentially in Japan if the Police takes you to court, you will be convicted...unless you have the commercial or familial ties to not give a shit.

But let's not try to paint the American presence there as a whole malevolent, and paint Japanese society as some poor victim of American imperialism or racism.

And this is coming from someone who is generally highly critical of US military interventionism.
    TBH, besides one-two half-japs in the thread, I haven't seen anyone white knighting japs O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    Except they're not sentenced to death. They're sentenced to about 5-7 years, when the average sentence in Japan is usually around 12-15 years.
    I'd love to see a citation for this. Sexual assault (which is not considered as serious as rape) has a 30 year sentence in the Military.

If you rape or sexually assault someone and you are convicted of it in the military, you will lose all pay, benefits, and likely get a dishonorable discharge in addition to jail time. Dishonorable discharges will absolutely ruin your life.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    They typically do.

Contrary to popular belief, U.S. servicemen are held to a legal standard and are prosecuted when they commit criminal acts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangju_highway_incident You mean get their backs covered by people?

Americans in general are quite well-known for glorifying their soldiers and/or military personnel, so there's no point in arguing.
    @Sister, just let this thread die :3

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangju_highway_incident You mean get their backs covered by people?
    There isn't anything in that article that suggests it was a coverup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Americans in general are quite well-known for glorifying their soldiers and/or military personnel, so there's no point in arguing.
    @Sister, just let this thread die :3
    It has nothing to do with glorifying anyone. I was raised on military bases. Both of my parents were military. My brothers are ex-military. My cousin died in Iraq. My uncle is ex-military, and one of my other cousins is active-duty military. And my father served in Law Enforcement for the military. So you're talking about my family, basically. So yeah, I care. Sorrynotsorry if that offends you.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    There isn't anything in that article that suggests it was a coverup.
    I didn't say it was a coverup, I said they covered their backs and made sure they don't get punished for it

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it was a coverup, I said they covered their backs and made sure they don't get punished for it
    There isn't anything that suggests that, either, in the article.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    There isn't anything that suggests that, either, in the article.
    Seeking to prosecute the two soldiers in civilian courts under South Korean law, however, on July 10, the South Korean Justice Ministry requested that the USFK command transfer jurisdiction in the case to the South Korean legal system. While the SOFA stipulates that U.S. military personnel performing official duties fall under the jurisdiction of U.S. military courts, jurisdiction can be transferred to South Korea at the discretion of the U.S. military commander.

Citing concerns about setting a precedent in terms of allowing civilian proceedings against U.S. military personnel, then Judge Advocate of the USFK, Colonel Kent Myers, said the U.S. command would not do so, noting that the U.S. Army had waived jurisdiction only once before in a case in which the act committed was intentional and not accidental. In a statement issued by the USFK, Col. Myers noted that Walker and Nino were clearly performing assigned duties in an official capacity and were therefore subject to the UCMJ under the U.S.-ROK SOFA.[5]

Covering their backs

10+ Year Old Account
    So please point out where they 'had their backs covered'... Had the convening authority told the South Koreans to piss off and failed to bring charges at all then I might see merit in your claim, however, as I see it

American officials did, however, invite more than 30 media representatives, representatives from the South Korean Justice Ministry, the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and from other South Korean non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to observe the trials. In addition, rooms with closed circuit television (CCTV) coverage were provided to accommodate the increased level of interest. Moreover, families of the victims were invited to attend and, to protect their privacy, were offered the use of a separate CCTV-equipped room staffed with an interpreter and military lawyer to explain the processes involved.
    If they were trying to cover something up they sure did a fucking horrible job of it, you dont invite folks to watch you cover shit up... sorry.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeking to prosecute the two soldiers in civilian courts under South Korean law, however, on July 10, the South Korean Justice Ministry requested that the USFK command transfer jurisdiction in the case to the South Korean legal system. While the SOFA stipulates that U.S. military personnel performing official duties fall under the jurisdiction of U.S. military courts, jurisdiction can be transferred to South Korea at the discretion of the U.S. military commander.

Citing concerns about setting a precedent in terms of allowing civilian proceedings against U.S. military personnel, then Judge Advocate of the USFK, Colonel Kent Myers, said the U.S. command would not do so, noting that the U.S. Army had waived jurisdiction only once before in a case in which the act committed was intentional and not accidental. In a statement issued by the USFK, Col. Myers noted that Walker and Nino were clearly performing assigned duties in an official capacity and were therefore subject to the UCMJ under the U.S.-ROK SOFA.[5]

Covering their backs
    The Uniform Code of Military Justice does not allow the military to release personnel to local governments if the issue is with something they were performing as part of their official duties. If it's something like rape, robbery, sexual assault, etc, then they normally have to automatically be turned over (and this is governed by treaties). But if, for instance, a military plane crashes on a house in Belgium during military maneuvers, and the local Belgians want to charge the pilot with whatever, the military can't release the pilot to the local judiciary per the terms of their own justice code. They've waived it once, but as you already noted, that was an intentional act and not accidental.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account

Covering their backs
    Sorry, thats not covering anyone's back... thats complying with the letter of the SOFA.... you are really going to have to try harder.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Sorry, thats not covering anyone's back... thats complying with the letter of the SOFA.... you are really going to have to try harder.
    Yes it is, they were protecting them