Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    This is a fair point, although extremists can describe a whole lot of different ideologies.

SJW is a good, succinct term for extremists of a very specific type, regressive/authoritarian leftists is good but too long.
    I think regressive leftist is still the best term myself. It isn't a sneer, it isn't a snap, it's simply a descriptive in and of itself. People can easily see if someone who is called that is indeed such.

Compared to SJW, which is, at its core, just the use of a word that has negative connotations now, to the point where the whole 'social justice' part as well as the 'warrior' part are sarcastic snark.

To me, you are a Social Justice Warrior if the following:

A) You feel or act very strongly on behalf of any "minority" group including gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, etc, and you either defend or support the defense of these groups on issues whether real or imagined.

---AND--- (very important)

B) The reason for A is not because you have empathy for these people, but because you enjoy the feeling of power derived from the social morality you believe to be on your side.

Since no actual SJW would admit to B, a good indicator is how they react when their views are challenged - listen calmly and engage in rational discourse, probably not an SJW, more just someone who actually wants peace and harmony. React with anger and logical fallacies, it's clear there's an element of not wanting to give up that power. You don't want equality, you don't want the world to be a better place. You don't even really care about rights, in that if you did get those rights you wouldn't stop protesting, you'd either claim it's not enough or turn to some other "injustice".

No, the true SJW's real goal is just the power of presupposed moral conceit. They just want to feel powerful, feel like they matter, feel like people are listening to them. And to get this feeling of power, they're willing to shout at people, call them names, dehumanize them. Even, in extreme cases, employ brutal vigilante justice, ruining peoples' lives with bogus rape accusations and such.

Here's a good litmus test for how many points you score on the SJW scale.

Say, for example, you believe there is a "Wage Gap," as in you believe men are paid more than women for the same work. One day you're presented with the study to end all studies on the subject, that hits every scientific point for accuracy and legitimacy, that says there is no such thing. How do you react?

A) You're skeptical, but you look deeper into it. You do some research. You talk to some people about it. You may even contact the director of the study to ask some targeted questions about their methods.

B) You say it was paid for by The Patriarchy and you dismiss it without even a single consideration.

Bonus points if you bomb the study director's twitter and call him a sexist.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    SJW's live in internet. World outside is too triggering for them.

I've never encountered a RL troll. Might simply be lucky.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I honestly have not. I also live near several colleges and universities. Where can I find them outside of Tumblr?
    Good luck finding the feminist SJWs that are screamed about. There are a few, but, for the most part, the feminist SJWs are straw men created by the real SJWs (aka MRAs).

If you are looking for MRAs, you can find them in lots of places. Usually boys / men in their late teens and early 20s that haven't had luck getting dates (because they are jerks and haven't figured that out yet) or have had bad experiences dating.

I knew one MRA very well, and he was pretty bad (with the usual stupid statements and ideas most MRAs make / have) until he got solid girlfriend. He is no longer a MRA now that reality has set in.

I honestly have not. I also live near several colleges and universities. Where can I find them outside of Tumblr?
    Well, the issue is more than a SJW would get punched in the face and are generally little bitches that love to hide behind the comforts of their computer monitor. Keyboard cowards who wouldn't dare say most of the shit they say in the faces of those they project their whines towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

It seems most SJW are nothing more than just keyboard warriors. They talk passionately about their convictions but do nothing in real life to make them come to fruition. It's all a show to make other think they are a good person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It seems most SJW are nothing more than just keyboard warriors. They talk passionately about their convictions but do nothing in real life to make them come to fruition. It's all a show to make other think they are a good person.
    but how can they be this

and a threat to all that we love?

Deleted
    My gf is a bit of a SJW but she is to lazy to actually go out and do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    SJW is a construct of the paranoid mind of the conservative extremists, and exist only in the mind of the right wing fearmongered.
    This simply isn't true. There's ample evidence of academia having taken a sharp turn left, and I think there's good reason to believe this has a corrosive influence on academic discourse. While the problems from this are only just now starting to show up in the private sector (academic ideas take awhile to disseminate), I'm not sanguine about whether this will become more of a problem over time. While "SJW" is probably just a useless pejorative at this point, there really is an emerging orthodoxy on social issues that's best to not question if one values their career.

but how can they be this

and a threat to all that we love?
    Do you believe that ISIS exists, even though you have never met a member of ISIS in real life? The truth is, if you want to become involved in radical progressive movements, you can get involved in much the same way you would if you wanted to go play Islamic highlander in Syria.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Do you believe that ISIS exists, even though you have never met a member of ISIS in real life? The truth is, if you want to become involved in radical progressive movements, you can get involved in much the same way you would if you wanted to go play Islamic highlander in Syria.
    Well you an see them far more often on the news. SJWs seem to mostly exist on the interwebs

This is tripe. It's not that academia has moved left, it's the neo-cons moving further right and feeling the need to demonise academia.

An explanation that would make far more sense, if this was entirely a US-thing. Which it quite clearly isn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    I have some at my uni.
    I guess you are one of 'em. Oh wait.

This is tripe. It's not that academia has moved left, it's the neo-cons moving further right and feeling the need to demonise academia.
    I just cited academic work showing that academia has moved left. Right in the post you hand-waved away. One of the signatories on that little write-up is Jonathan Haidt - are you actually claiming that Haidt is just a neo-con out to demonize academia?

SJW are indeed much more moderate face to face.

Most of them hide behind computers and are too afraid to act out IRL what they do on the internet, rest are the young generations like that of Uni and such.

Plenty of PC politician morons though...

7+ Year Old Account
    Went to school with some, but in my day-to-day affairs I don't encounter them often. Most of the people in rural Texas are simply not SJWs.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Yes people who have different opinions than you exist.
    I know, but OP and others make it sound like they are a thing of myth. My original post wasn't worded well, probably should have been sleeping instead of being on the forums!

Isn't Jonathan Haidt the guy who told us that conservatives are misunderstood and not the result of parental bullying. Then we have the Rabble Rouser (co-author of your link), https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ely-threatened.

Neo-con sounds about right.
    Holy shit, your actual stance is that if a centrist academic says that conservatism isn't the result of parental bullying, it must be because he's a neocon? I guess it would make sense that someone who believes conservatism is just pathology would believe there's not a leftist bias in academia.