Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    It's because they are giving the game story and depth. If they only made videos of what the characters do in the game (which there are already 100's off both official and not) people would get bored of it.

They want the Universe to have story and depth, thus they are making Animations in said universe.

Stop complaining for the sake of it.
    Sorry but thats not a complaint just to complain. Sell me into a FPS because the story wont be jack shit come play time.

Sell me on what the toons can do even if it is in a well animated cartoon. Show us Winston use his Tesla cannon and Primal rage. Hell, the little bit of his barrier projector made it look like something of a joke. Let me see some shadow step and death blossom because wraith form doesn't really show much of anything in said cartoon.

This game will come down to game play. Story is a far distant requirement nor does it give it any more depth in a FPS. Tell their story if they think they must but really highlight what the toons can do in that story because at the end of the day and when it come play time, that story wont mean shit. It will be kill or be killed and thats where the fun will come form. Story long forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Sorry but thats not a complaint just to complain. Sell me into a FPS because the story wont be jack shit come play time.

Sell me on what the toons can do even if it is in a well animated cartoon. Show us Winston use his Tesla cannon and Primal rage. Hell, the little bit of his barrier projector made it look like something of a joke. Let me see some shadow step and death blossom because wraith form doesn't really show much of anything in said cartoon.

This game will come down to game play. Story is a far distant requirement nor does it give it any more depth in a FPS. Tell their story if they think they must but really highlight what the toons can do in that story because at the end of the day and when it come play time, that story wont mean shit. It will be kill or be killed and thats where the fun will come form. Story long forgotten.
    The Animations aren't anything to do with Selling you the gameplay of the Game. They are meant to be STORY. NOT GAMEPLAY.

It doesn't fucking matter if you want to see gameplay, they have Videos for every single character showcasing their gameplay, go watch them if you want to see the shit they do in game. This was specifically for STORY.

You literally are complaining for the sake of it.

Well they have 4 shorts. My assumption is 1 short for Microsoft channel, 1 for Ps4, 1 for Overwatch channel and 1 for Blizzard channel.

Maximum exposure for the Game, the Company and the Consoles it is releasing on.
    XBOX.COM/OVERWATCH

Money was made.

The Animations aren't anything to do with Selling you the gameplay of the Game. They are meant to be STORY. NOT GAMEPLAY.

It doesn't fucking matter if you want to see gameplay, they have Videos for every single character showcasing their gameplay, go watch them if you want to see the shit they do in game. This was specifically for STORY.

You literally are complaining for the sake of it.
    You've lost all sense of reason.

Story will mean 2 things. Jack and shit in a group shooter pushing to get into MLG.. It will all hing on what the characters can do and how the game plays. I'm not talking about some simple video of what the characters can do like we can see now. Take it into a story if they must. Present it a cartoon but for fuck sake show off what those toons can do in the story. Adapt their skills in the story. Make me want to be that character and say cool. I'd love to pull off that in a real match.

The fluff cartoon was a bit worthless in that regard.

It could have been so much more catching than, Oh blizzard does the best animation.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-03-22 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Eh, I understand but this is Blizzard/Blizzard games.

Your analogy is more like Apples and Carrots rather than Apples and Oranges.
    If it were Blizzard games we'd be seeing Starcraft news, we never do. Overwatch is a generic lame shooter that isn't even going to do well, I only hear about it here which like I've said is odd since it's an mmo site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but... a genetically engineered scientist gorilla? Really? Did they hire an 11 year old to write for them?

10+ Year Old Account
    You've lost all sense of reason.

Story will mean 2 things. Jack and shit in a group shooter pushing to get into MLG.. It will all hing on what the characters can do and how the game plays. I'm not talking about some simple video of what the characters can do like we can see now. Take it into a story if they must. Present it a cartoon but for fuck sake show off what those toons can do in the story. Adapt their skills in the story. Make me want to be that character and say cool. I'd love to pull off that in a real match.

The fluff cartoon was a bit worthless in that regard.

It could have been so much more catching than, Oh blizzard does the best animation.
    ....You do realize that both Reaper and Winston used abilities they actually have in the game in that animation right? Captain Jack Flash is right... you really are just complaining for the sake of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Sorry but... a genetically engineered scientist gorilla? Really? Did they hire an 11 year old to write for them?
    Which is a trope that has been around for a long time. Honestly most of Overwatch's characters are established tropes. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily but if you don't like that trope that you should blame Marvel for creating Beast or someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, apparently that 11 year old applied and got hired, while you did not. Whassup? Jelly? Can do better - put your shit up for vote.

Yeah, we are all cool and snarky and judgemental and we all have a better story and a better way to tell it, but with all the platforms that the internet offers us, we juuuust never seem to be able to do it. So we are bitter and shit on it all...or downvote it.

Meh..there certainly is a lot of less watchable stuff out there than this little clip. Kinda cool. What worried me was more like "Why do we get a nice long clip like that for Overwatch and not for Legion?"
    It's the way they are telling the story in Overwatch. It's an FPS with no campaign so there's no other way to tell the narrative really. WoW's narrative can be told in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh..too bad. I would have loved Overwatch to be a single and multi-player game. And get the story told in-game. Soooo...it is all multi player Co-op...team vs team, right? No solo story?
    I believe it is only PvP. There's no Co Op shit either. But yeah no solo story.

It just seems weird that you play as a mix of Overwatch and Talon people in the game and all of this is meaningless when you play the product this is supposed to be talking about. Perhaps I'm overstating here, but I think it's a bit misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ....You do realize that both Reaper and Winston used abilities they actually have in the game in that animation right? Captain Jack Flash is right... you really are just complaining for the sake of it.
    SNIP...
    Actually I do and if you had bothered to read just a couple posts above you would have seen my response to the very thing you bring up.

Sorry but my complaint is very much warranted. At the end of the day, story wont mean jack shit no matter how much blizzard wants to push a Saturday morning cartoon with excellent animations.

No amount of story will make the sell if the characters are not interesting. IF they must tell some warped story fine. But hell, at least through in some amazing fights where the toons really use their skill from in the game because what little you see in that clip the reaper looked like a chump and that gorilla looked like a fool. Show me some Death blossom and Tesla cannons, not a shield that failed.

Ahhh..too bad. I would have loved Overwatch to be a single and multi-player game. And get the story told in-game. Soooo...it is all multi player Co-op...team vs team, right? No solo story?
    Did you ever play unreal tournament? It too made a poor attempt to have a single player story but that wasn't where the strength of the game was. It was the team battles, capture the flag and, death matches, domination matches, vehicles. All the group stuff.

Imagine that but blizzard wants each character to have some special stuff (they will have to balance around) instead of what weapons you pick up to determine strength.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-03-23 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I do and if you had bothered to read just a couple posts above you would have seen my response to the very thing you bring up.

Sorry but my complaint is very much warranted. At the end of the day, story wont mean jack shit no matter how much blizzard wants to push a Saturday morning cartoon with excellent animations.

No amount of story will make the sell if the characters are not interesting. IF they must tell some warped story fine. But hell, at least through in some amazing fights where the toons really use their skill from in the game because what little you see in that clip the reaper looked like a chump and that gorilla looked like a fool. Show me some Death blossom and Tesla cannons, not a shield that failed.

Did you ever play unreal tournament? It too made a poor attempt to have a single player story but that wasn't where the strength of the game was. It was the team battles, capture the flag and, death matches, domination matches, vehicles. All the group stuff.

Imagine that but blizzard wants each character to have some special stuff (they will have to balance around) instead of what weapons you pick up to determine strength.
    ....It was the first fucking video. What superhero show has crazy action in the first episode? You're being completely irrational about this.

....It was the first fucking video. What superhero show has crazy action in the first episode? You're being completely irrational about this.
    and I think you're underselling it's potential just to say, oh it had great animations. Seeing as thats the bulk of it's merits when people talk about it.

What now? We playing tit for tat on opinions for a cartoon that to be honest, I'd wager didn't really do the game any favors.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-03-23 at 01:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and I think you're underselling it's potential just to say, oh it had great animations. Seeing as thats the bulk of it's merits when people talk about it.

What now? We playing tit for tat on opinions for a cartoon that to be honest, I'd wager didn't really do the game any favors.
    I think you're overselling the potential of an INTRODUCTORY episode. He gets the gang back together in this episode. It wasn't mean to be a huge battle.

As for doing the game any favors considering they posted it on the Xbox youtube channel I'm sure it reached a bunch of people who didn't know about it before.

I think you're overselling the potential of an INTRODUCTORY episode. He gets the gang back together in this episode. It wasn't mean to be a huge battle.

As for doing the game any favors considering they posted it on the Xbox youtube channel I'm sure it reached a bunch of people who didn't know about it before.
    The entire game is meant to be a huge battle. Again, you're underselling it thinking the story matters in a group shooter. It never does as it's the game play and what you can do that really sells it.

All that work and the biggest conversation topic was, blizzard does great animation. It was a weak showing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire game is meant to be a huge battle. Again, you're underselling it thinking the story matters in a group shooter. It never does as it's the game play and what you can do that really sells it.

All that work and the biggest conversation topic was, blizzard does great animation. It was a weak showing.
    ....Okay. Well you see the team that works on the game and the team that works on the animation are different. So them doing this animation takes nothing away from the game.

Also Blizzard does do great animation. It was a nice little bit of story and I enjoyed it. Honestly you're just bitching to bitch. Your reasons for why you think its bad are nonsensical. They did use some of the abilities that they can use in game and it is an introductory episode which historically are never action packed.

7+ Year Old Account
    So what was the point of that cartoon?
    to show the story of the game.
    especially winstons in this one.

Formerly known as Arafal

The quality of the short is great, but I do have the feeling I'm not the target audience anymore.

All the successful family movies manage to cater to both young and old, mostly because of clever humor and dialogue, but I can't find it in Overwatch. Of course this won't stop me from trying the game, but it's understandable when people say this is supposed to be a game for kids (or a game for your inner child, as Blizzard puts it....)

....Okay. Well you see the team that works on the game and the team that works on the animation are different. So them doing this animation takes nothing away from the game.

Also Blizzard does do great animation. It was a nice little bit of story and I enjoyed it. Honestly you're just bitching to bitch. Your reasons for why you think its bad are nonsensical. They did use some of the abilities that they can use in game and it is an introductory episode which historically are never action packed.
    Well it's clear there is no way in hell we're going to agree other than yea, its good animation. While I know it's different teams, they are working to present the game and hook people. That clip didn't do it for me. It sure as hell didn't make me think, man I should pre-order that.