Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    His name was Stanislav Petrov.

Fun fact: he was punished for this afterwards, for disobeying instructions. Soviet Russia in nutshell.
    He was punished while Vasili made vice admiral....I wonder what or who he knew that made him indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I saw that about 5 years ago, the old one, and I still want my hour and a half or so back.
    Honestly even for irony value it wears out its welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The Russians actually came closest to starting it off. Vasili Arkhipov refused orders to fire a nuclear missile during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
    It takes two to tango! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You know McCarthy was actually proven to be right about most everything right?

Id suggest he didnt even guess far enough judging by the state of the country today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    Seriously though, the whole ordeal is just silly when you think about. People were afraid of the big bad Communists. So afraid that they were hunted down, hunted down for a political ideology.

Now we have people today that can't really get out of that mindset and just believe what the government sells as propaganda pieces. It was a time where our country was ran through fear and that fear was enough to make people lose their minds at the word "communism."

Communism is a flawed system but then again every system is flawed in some way. I just felt like sharing. Tell me how you guys feel, all opinions welcome.
    You shouldn't post this on an radical right wing forum like this one... you will only get flamed:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Really the scariest part is how many of its own citizens Communism had to kill. People who were/are avowed Communists really should be shunned for their beliefs, because while you might allow them to disagree with you in a somewhat Capitalist system, if they get in charge they will not give you the opportunity to disagree with them.
    Dictatorships killed those people, not communism. Those people weren't killed because the system required it they were killed because the man at the top demanded it.

No worse than the current trend of blaming everything on Putin.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Dictatorships killed those people, not communism. Those people weren't killed because the system required it they were killed because the man at the top demanded it.
    Dictatorships are supported by the people under them. We generally speak about the leader, but communism really calls for the death of a good chunk of the population. Once you can't entrap people in your system they will leave. Communism disproportionately punishes high-skill, high-intelligence people, so the brain drain becomes real unless you threaten them with prison or death for leaving.

You can't have an "ideal" communist system, because in any version that is ethical it is voluntary, and members of that society will leave for better things, and it will generally be the best people.

On another note, plenty of people in China and the USSR died from simple starvation. Its something you basically never saw except in lost-in-the-wilderness scenarios in the US even in the 1800's, but it was real in both of the largest examples of Communism. I doubt Stalin ordered the mass starvation of his own people.
    Last edited by Hiricine; 2016-03-23 at 09:23 AM.

As I see it, the US and Russia is the same thing, bottom line they are both Oligarchies. Granted Russia is a more transparent, but they've also been run by "the select few's" interests for a shorter time then the US. (I'm not counting the era pre- russian revolution as an oligarchy).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    As I see it, the US and Russia is the same thing, bottom line they are both Oligarchies. Granted Russia is a more transparent, but they've also been run by "the select few's" interests for a shorter time then the US. (I'm not counting the era pre- russian revolution as an oligarchy).
    Ofc, they deserve each other. They inflated ego makes them behave like that.

Deleted
    Communism is a flawed system but then again every system is flawed in some way. I just felt like sharing. Tell me how you guys feel, all opinions welcome.
    Everyone here in Europe thinks its hilarious how Americans get so scared of Communists... its idiocy at its best!

To us its just another political standpont, and ofc everyone has the right to hold whatever political standpoint they like... Communist politics is so insignificant. Only the brainwashed Americans think its a thing.

Deleted
    I think some people need to watch the series on history by Oliver Stone "The untold history of the United States".

Although slightly biased at some points, it does show that a big part of the image the US is trying to portray about its history (and that so many people believe) are just lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    You know McCarthy was actually proven to be right about most everything right?

Id suggest he didnt even guess far enough judging by the state of the country today.
    Yeah America is so Communist.

LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Seriously though, the whole ordeal is just silly when you think about. People were afraid of the big bad Communists. So afraid that they were hunted down, hunted down for a political ideology.

Now we have people today that can't really get out of that mindset and just believe what the government sells as propaganda pieces. It was a time where our country was ran through fear and that fear was enough to make people lose their minds at the word "communism."

The dumbest thing? Tell me, where did you get these ideas from, not paying attention to history? Your Liberal college professor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Communism was spreading at an alarming rate and when a nation became communistic it was always a violent bloody affair. People had good reason to be afraid and it wasn't just the US who feared what Communism could bring.
    government change is bloody? Better warn Washington!

When "a nation became communistic it was always a violent bloody affair" - wasn't that pretty much because Russia and America would proceed to fight a proxy war within their borders?

Or intelligence agencies assassinating politicians etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post

On another note, plenty of people in China and the USSR died from simple starvation. Its something you basically never saw except in lost-in-the-wilderness scenarios in the US even in the 1800's, but it was real in both of the largest examples of Communism. I doubt Stalin ordered the mass starvation of his own people.
    Actually, Stalin did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

10+ Year Old Account
    Are people in this thread still comparing the economic policy of Communism with the deaths that were incurred because of authoritarianism of Stalin? Haven't we gone over this at least a dozen times already....?

7+ Year Old Account
    The Russians actually came closest to starting it off. Vasili Arkhipov refused orders to fire a nuclear missile during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
    Torpedo, but end result would be the same.

The current Brown Scare, where everything is "fascism" strikes me as even sillier, given that the Red Scare at least had real communists to deal with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Does the Brown Scare refer to Mexicans or Blacks? If Mexicans, pretty ignorant to lump all Mexicans as brown, since they aren't, nothing more than a silly stereotype.