Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That is like a ''normal'' reservist training course, a fairly common thing should I say, but some American posters said those people were mostly training for parade drills.

For the record, I thought that this was ''training to become an officer in the armed forces''.

- - - Updated - - -

The heroes that stormed the Malheur bird refuge.
    Which is a huge chunk of real Military training, you march and drill until your arms and feet go numb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Why is some random person having a less than idealistic opinion headline news we care about?
    Because...Murica.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is like a ''normal'' reservist training course, a fairly common thing should I say, but some American posters said those people were mostly training for parade drills.

For the record, I thought that this was ''training to become an officer in the armed forces''.

- - - Updated - - -

The heroes that stormed the Malheur bird refuge.
    I take it you don't want to go shooting ):
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Exactly. Which is why I applaud her calling the first time.

Anything after that is just stupid.
    Agreed. I could see initial concern of "Hey there are two guys in combat fatigues walking around carrying rifles", that might be understandable concern. After being told it's ROTC though, then say okay, apologize if needed (likely not needed) and then drop it and don't cause trouble afterwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Here in is the real issue. Too many people are not knowlegdable about a state's gun laws or how military type organizations work. I have seen people in my local Walmart open carrying handguns and I did not freak out because the state has open carry laws. I would only call the police in this case if they were carrying the weapon in their hand/hands.

The lady the thread is about, once she is told they are not carrying fully functional rifles, should drop the issue and move on. Since she has been educated.
    I'm going to move the moment my country allows civilians to carry guns in public, you create situations where law enforcement is scared of it's own people which leads to more incidents as any person has an increased risk of pulling a gun.

There is a reason cops are more likely to jump to their guns in the US.

Americans are so reactive to these situations, an entire train in the UK get's halted and searched if someone's My Little Pony backpack has been left unattended because it's a "Mysterious package" but I don't care because I didn't get blown up.
    Let's wait for someone who could or could not be gun weilding maniac posing as apart of the ROTC, don't report it though, fuck america

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    mock someone who panics and think there is a terrorist attack undergoing.
    I'm sorry but I honestly don't believe this teacher who isn't new to the school and was warned by the school previously:

“We did send an email notifying all students, faculty and staff that ROTC would be holding exercises throughout the spring in the Quad portion of campus. But we recognize that the notification wasn’t sufficient,”
    Honestly didn't know what was going on. According to the school site she has been at the school since 2010 it would seem based on the awards section, so yes it seems fairly doubtful that she thought a terrorist attack was going on.
    Last edited by theostrichsays; 2016-03-24 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Agreed. I could see initial concern of "Hey there are two guys in combat fatigues walking around carrying rifles", that might be understandable concern. After being told it's ROTC though, then say okay, apologize if needed (likely not needed) and then drop it and don't cause trouble afterwards.
    And that's how I view it as well.

Good on her for having the wherewithal to think of making the call.

But drop it after that. All she is doing is causing panic.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I'm going to move the moment my country allows civilians to carry guns in public, you create situations where law enforcement is scared of it's own people which leads to more incidents as any person has an increased risk of pulling a gun.

There is a reason cops are more likely to jump to their guns in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by grindcore View Post
    Americans are so reactive to these situations, an entire train in the UK get's halted and searched if someone's My Little Pony backpack has been left unattended because it's a "Mysterious package" but I don't care because I didn't get blown up.
    Let's wait for someone who could or could not be gun weilding maniac posing as apart of the ROTC, don't report it though, fuck america
    It's a funny time in our history.

The police are indeed jumpy and sometimes for good reason and sometimes simply because of fear/gut reaction.

http://kfor.com/2014/02/20/family-po...answered-door/

In the 1940s and 50s ROTC students were actually allowed to fire live ammo indoors at school during target practice.

Now the country is so divided. Some of the people want everyone to own guns no matter who they are, or what crimes they've committed, all under the guise of "freedom". Now we're wanting to kick out/monitor everyone from one religion to keep ourselves safe.

Then you have people freaking out over unlocking a Iphone of known terrorists when it could lead to real information.

Everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.

People either;

- Want the government to not infringe on a single right and think they can somehow defend themselves against terrorist threats.

-They're okay with the government infringing upon rights to stop terrorism as long as it's none of their rights.

-Then there's those who are willing to have certain "rights" limited or monitored in this period when terrorism is rampant.

Our country hasn't and probably won't decide what the best method is until long after its too late.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2016-03-24 at 02:32 PM.

Once again, only Americans, of the entire world, think that ''two guys with assault rifle and camo gear'' is normal in an university.
    Is that place some kind of military academy ? I am also confused why these two gentlemen carrying highly effective weaponry on a normal university campus is normal... Must be the Canadian in me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Is that place some kind of military academy ? I am also confused why these two gentlemen carrying highly effective weaponry on a normal university campus is normal... Must be the Canadian in me.
    Please read beyond the first page before replying, the rifles were inert and the people that were carrying them are training to be Military Officers via a scheme offered at the University.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    As it has been stated, the rifles are not functional that are used in drill practices. Also the school sent out a notification saying that the students would be practicing in the quad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    They are drill rifles.

They have no working parts.

They are drill rifles.

And a lot of schools here have ROTC programs. So seeing those students in that program on campus isn't out of the norm.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    You do realize they are not real guns right?

Edit: Don't think the article clarifies it, but generally the types of guns that ROTC cadets carry are inert. They are usually mock ups for practicing spins, flips, etc etc
    When I was in ROTC, ours had the barrels filled completely to the point where a round couldn't be chambered, and none of the moving parts actually moved to prevent them from screwing up drills.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    In the 1940s and 50s ROTC students were actually allowed to fire live ammo indoors at school during target practice.
    Hell, in the late 90's and early 2000's we had a shooting club still. Our indoor range was for air rifles only, but we'd go on field trips to shooting ranges.

7+ Year Old Account
    The guns aren't real. We have a good number of colleges and Universities that have the ROTC program. There's also a number of military colleges, but that particular University is not one.

Unless you've lived in a small town your entire life in the US, you're bound to see something similar in nature fairly frequently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oregon LARPers were not dressed in camo ?
    Pretty sure that wasn't a college campus... You tell us though

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    The guns aren't real. We have a good number of colleges and Universities that have the ROTC program. There's also a number of military colleges, but that particular University is not one.

Unless you've lived in a small town your entire life in the US, you're bound to see something similar in nature fairly frequently.
    Thanks for the explanation. I did not know about this ROTC program, we have nothing of the sorts here (at least that I know of). Yes I should probably have read all the thread before replying instead of just the first page but the article itself was not specific about the nature of the weapons. In that case it does seem to me to be a bit of overreaction by a "anti gun" person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/opin...sed-und-campus

Professor's own words,

He also tells me that ROTC will be doing these exercises for the next couple weeks.

So I reply that I guess I'll be calling 911 for the next couple weeks—and I will. Every time.
    So she is knowingly admitting she's going to call 911 under false pretenses.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post

Professor's own words,

So she is knowingly admitting she's going to call 911 under false pretenses.
    Isn't that a crime ?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGamer View Post
    And what if someone gets one of these uniforms, has a real gun and starts shooting everyone? Giving the number of mass shootings in the US a little common sense over this wouldn't go astray.
    Because by wearing their uniform and putting a gun on your back (any kind) still gets you more attention and scrutiny than just putting the gun in a bag, dressing like every other student on campus? How many shootings have been done on school campuses by people in uniform carrying a "rifle" around... By your logic, we should ban baggy pants, poofy coats, and book bags, they are more scary to me because they typically hide guns/bombs/knives/anything of bad intent.