Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    I do not give a shit about Islam, the people going after me we Catholics. I want dumb fucks using religion as an excuse to hate jailed, fuck anyone and jail them them for using a sky god as an excuse to hate and murder others, in my eyes it is a mental illness.
    You didn't answer my question.

If this tweet was unacceptable due to raising tensions between Muslims and Non-Muslims then presumably, per your argument, *all* criticism, insult, mockery, parody of Islam in light of this event is unacceptable and deserves legal rebuke?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    When you insinuate that someone in a different country is involved with or knows about a massive crime because of their religion and brag about it on social media, then yes, you deserve to be punished.
    Personally I think a fair enough punish is the outlash he got already. Shame is enough. Arrested seems a bit over the top, unless they were just doing like a 24-48 hour thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    When you insinuate that someone in a different country is involved with or knows about a massive crime because of their religion and brag about it on social media, then yes, you deserve to be punished.
    So do you think this is not any different than me having to answer for USA slavery because of my skin color even though my entire family immigranted here after 1900?

No you don't. He wasn't insinuating anything. He merely asked her a question. He then wrote about asking her a question and called her a derogatory word that didn't hurt her or anyone else.

And if were getting technical, Muslims would be the people to ask their opinions on these matters, as they tend to have negative views of Westerners even while they live in their countries.
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...und-the-world/

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    He didn't do that actually. He asked her to explain Islam's role in it. It was an obnoxious and stupid comment to a stranger, deserved ridicule and reeked of /r/thathappened but nonetheless, what did he do, legally, wrong?
    Well, according to the arrest, suspicion of inciting racial hatred. You read bro or just trollin?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Well, according to the arrest, suspicion of inciting racial hatred. You read bro or just trollin?
    I read it. I disagree with the premise of the arrest. Continued conflation of Islam and race, as usual.

Deleted
    You didn't answer my question.

If this tweet was unacceptable due to raising tensions between Muslims and Non-Muslims then presumably, per your argument, *all* criticism, insult, mockery, parody of Islam in light of this event is unacceptable and deserves legal rebuke?
    I did answer, I said all religion should go get fucked when it comes to hate speeches. Stop trying to turn this on Muslims when I never brought them up once, the troubles were between two Christian groups and it was Catholics that were the ones planting bombs to kill me and my mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    This is why freedom of speech is so valuable.

I wonder, as an American, if this is the same feeling that Europeans get when they're told that the US has no universal healthcare?
    It just seems so absurd to me that people can face imprisonment for a verbal or written exchange, it seems so alien, so totalitarian to me I just don't understand it really.
    It's sad that it's such a good comparison. I wish we could have both, but free speech is more important.

I read it. I disagree with the premise of the arrest. Continued conflation of Islam and race, as usual.
    Well, I'm sure he targeted her because she was prolly just a white lady wearing a headscarf to protect herself from the cold, amirite? Nope, her skin was brown so he acted like a dumbass. Now he's going to go to jail for being a dick. Seems reasonable to me.

Jail all the idiots, better yet deport them to Greenland or something.
    Greenland? Why not? They've already tried the same with the USA and Australia.

Look, the way he went about it was dumb and probably too aggressive. BUT, that question needs to be asked of Muslim Leaders in communities and countries. Maybe the so called free press could finally grow some balls and start asking questions and not hiding the news?
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Deleted
    I did answer, I said all religion should go get fucked when it comes to hate speeches. Stop trying to turn this on Muslims when I never brought them up once, the troubles were between two Christian groups and it was Catholics that were the ones planting bombs to kill me and my mates.
    The guy was arrested for implications about Islam. This is about what we can say, imply or suggest about Islam. You think this instance was too far. I ask you, based on that, whether or not all forms of criticism, mockery, insult, parody or satire to Islam is currently unacceptable due to heightened tensions?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm sure he targeted her because she was prolly just a lady wearing a headscarf to protect herself from the cold, amirite? Nope, her skin was brown so he acted like a dumbass. Now he's going to go to jail for being a dick. Seems reasonable to me.
    Should all mockery, parody, insult, satire of Islam or Muslims be an offence? Why or why not? What makes this instance specifically different than most other forms of criticism, mockery etc towards Islam or Muslims?

He was also not arrested for targeting her - he was arrested for him repeating what he did on Twitter. We don't even know if the original event happened.

The guy was arrested for implications about Islam. This is about what we can say, imply or suggest about Islam. You think this instance was too far. I ask you, based on that, whether or not all forms of criticism, mockery, insult, parody or satire to Islam is currently unacceptable due to heightened tensions?

- - - Updated - - -

Should all mockery, parody, insult, satire of Islam or Muslims be an offence? Why or why not? What makes this instance specifically different than most other forms of criticism, mockery etc towards Islam or Muslims?

He was also not arrested for targeting her - he was arrested for him repeating what he did on Twitter. We don't even know if the original event happened.
    Well it depends. Is some rando terrorist cell going to go and kill a bunch of people when they get mad over bullshit from some idiots? Why don't we ask the editors at Charlie Hedbo. Oh wait, we can't, they're dead. So my answer is yes.

At this point that whole island country could burn to the ground and I wouldn't care, between stupid arrests like this and all the Orwellian surveillance and other garbage they have over there plus all the shady shit they partner with the US to do.

You shouldn't be arrested for criticism, derision or speaking out against anything. It's ludicrous that it's happening and there are people who are ok with it.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Well it depends. Is some rando terrorist cell going to go and kill a bunch of people when they get mad over bullshit from some idiots? Why don't we ask the editors at Charlie Hedbo. Oh wait, we can't, they're dead. So my answer is yes.
    So you think all criticism, mockery, satire, parody and insult towards Islam should be banned.

You are in favour of capitulating against terrorism and surrendering our history of free speech over threats of violence.

So you think all criticism, mockery, satire, parody and insult towards Islam should be banned.

You are in favour of capitulating against terrorism and surrendering our history of free speech over threats of violence.
    I think I already answered this question. Learn to read.

So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes. So my answer is yes.

Deleted
    I think I already answered this question. Learn to read.
    You did and you answered in favour of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by skavau View Post
    you did and you answered in favour of censorship.
    yay, he can read!

Deleted
    yay, he can read!
    So should Four Lions, the movie be banned?

Should Christopher Hitchens "God Is Not Great" be banned?

Should viewing anything Hitchens, Rushdie, Harris, Ayaan Ali Hirsi etc say about Islam be prohibited?

7+ Year Old Account
    So anyone who criticises, mocks, insults or satirises Islam on Twitter now (in context of the Brussels bombings) should be arrested?

You want a society where community relations trump free speech.
    There's a reason so many people left Britain to form the United States, you know. And there's a reason the First Amendment is the first amendment.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    This is why freedom of speech is so valuable - so if you say things that are not PC (or just plain stupid, really) you don't have to worry about being jailed for views that aren't shared by an oppressive majority.

I wonder, as an American, if this is the same feeling that Europeans get when they're told that the US has no universal healthcare?
    It just seems so absurd to me that people can face imprisonment for a verbal or written exchange, it seems so alien, so totalitarian to me I just don't understand it really.
    Yep, this right here. I'm a center-leftie, and I think this is outrageous for a supposedly free society. Outside of death threats, no speech should be banned.

NONE.

Let aholes like this guy spout all the sht they want. Free speech isnt just for the speech you like or are indifferent towards. It's for things like this that piss you off.

George Orwell would be ashamed of his own country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    There's a reason so many people left Britain to form the United States, you know. And there's a reason the First Amendment is the first amendment.
    and this. absolutely.