Poll: Should the name have been changed?

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I've seen this ridiculous claim many times, never with the proof though. The usual excuse is "well it's not reported so there's no statistics". Circular reasoning.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ey-claims.html

Not going to claim that one single article proves a point - but if you are bothered at all you can find hundreds saying the same. If you are going to go down the route of "until a court has proved or disproved it" then ok - its totally impossible to prove that people don't report things because... well... they haven't reported it.

Many women are raped by their own partners, and most of those do NOT report it. In some cases believing that they have no right to complain as they chose to be with that person. Newsflash: Being in a relationship does not give someone the right to "take what they want". it's still rape, but rape that is rarely reported.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    Why was it called "rape yellow" in the first place? Is there a murder blue somewhere?
    If there was a blue plant called murder then maybe there would be. It's called rape yellow because its the colour of the flowers on the rape plant which is farmed for its seeds which produce rapeseed oil. I do agree however that while quite a valid name, it causes too much confusion and was a poor choice.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a survey, not a credible statistics. At best (if we ignore all the issues of a "site survey", like: how was it conducted and what were the questions, how truthful were the answers, and what definition of rape was used by each participant) it shows that 80% of the rape victims (who visit that site) did not report.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Many women are raped by their own partners, and most of those do NOT report it. In some cases believing that they have no right to complain as they chose to be with that person. Newsflash: Being in a relationship does not give someone the right to "take what they want". it's still rape, but rape that is rarely reported.
    Why are you deciding for them? It's their choice, if they feel that they really chose to be with that person and that it justifies their actions - then it is as they feel. Being in a relationship doesn't give them the right to take what they want - their partner does though. Do you understand? I cannot call that rape when even the "victim" doesn't feel that way.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilux View Post
    I was thinking "Well, that's understandable" until this part:

Now there's this thing called homonyms and in which rape is also a plant. When she wasn't satisfied with the change and double down for total submission, then I lost all sympathy I had. Her analogy is also a total failure. For that matter, I would just mildly chuckle at finding a paint can marked poo brown or abortion red, because I'm able to see ridiculous things and laugh at them, rather than rage out because it "triggers" my PTSD.

Seriously, why was she silly enough to press it further, when she was in a perfect position to bring awareness regarding rape? She could've easily suggested a lot of things that would've helped more, like politely suggesting that the company could donate money to a charity for rape victims. Instead she positioned herself in such a way in attempting to play the victim culture, that I completly lost interest in what she could possibly say.
    My problem with that analogy of hers is mainly that 'poo' and 'abortion' make you think of those colors. What color do you associate with the action 'rape'? It's more like 'tax purple'. I would be confused and wonder why they think taxes are purple and not any other color, and since that makes no sense based on anything I know, I would look it up.

Okay, taxes are generally not as awful as getting raped, but why not suggest renaming rape instead of targeting Aldi and their paint cans? It kinda is an unfortunate name for a flower with such a beautiful color.
    Last edited by Zindai; 2016-03-27 at 06:45 PM.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    The woman, in her 50s, told the paper: ‘I looked at the paint and thought it can’t possibly say that, you have got to be kidding me, there’s no way they would sell that. I started choking. ‘I got straight out of there. I was furious and upset.

“I contacted Aldi afterwards and they just assumed I was being sensitive because I was a rape victim.
    "I looked at a word and started choking," lmfao. Unreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    FAR more rape DOESN'T get reported due to fear of what the assailant might do, or due to being disbelieved or many other fears that may stop them.
    Funny how this trait appears to be more and more intrinsic with only women. Maybe that's the issue that needs to be addressed.

The word for the plant and the crime both have roots in Latin, possibly even older languages, but have both reached the same word through different paths and different original words.

The current meaning of the word when referring to the crime is not as old as the word referring to the plant. It's about 200 years more recent.

On a tin of yellow paint it unambiguously refers to the colour of the plant.

If it really bothers you because you can't separate the plant from the crime in your head, and seeing the word only brings back images of when you were a victim of the crime, ask Aldi to change it and I'm sure they will. Or at least ask their suppliers to.

Bearing in mind that the paint is made in Germany. Where google translate tells me the word for rape the crime is vergewaltigen. And rape the plant is raps.
    This is not a malicious or uncaring act made by a paint manufacturer. It's a homonym that was lost in translation.

Going to the papers saying they should never have sold the paint in the first place seems a bit much when they've already agreed to change the name on future products.

My god, she sees a word and chokes up to the point she needs to leave the store.

You can sell anything to the media huh

Deleted
    well thers allsorts of colours which could be offensive, like indian yellow could be considered racist but only a stupid moron would be offended by a paint colour wats she gonna do next complain to every council in the UK to change yellow road marking to red, if there was a top 100 stupid people chart of 2016 this woman would be in the top 5

Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    Why was it called "rape yellow" in the first place?
    Because the names come from the German standard. And this plant doesn't share a word with non consensual sexual assault in German.
    Interestingly, this precise color is the one they use for the yellow in the German flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Pretty sure all you need to run a news company these days is a domain name and the ability to embed some Tweets.
    Wanna go halfsies on a GoDaddy domain? We can just copy+paste MMO-C OT threads and retire comfortably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC

Pictured: Aldi has come under fire for the controversial and triggering name of its yellow coloured glossy paint.

(Coventry) - Aldi will change the name of its ‘rape yellow’ paint after a complaint from a sexual abuse victim.

The unfortunately titled paint is meant to be the colour of rapeseed flowers. Although the online name of the paint is ‘rapeseed yellow’, on the lids of the £4.99 tins it is shorted to just ‘rape yellow’.

The woman, in her 50s, told the paper: ‘I looked at the paint and thought it can’t possibly say that, you have got to be kidding me, there’s no way they would sell that. I started choking. ‘I got straight out of there. I was furious and upset.

“I contacted Aldi afterwards and they just assumed I was being sensitive because I was a rape victim.

An Aldi spokesman told Metro in a statement: ‘This paint is a colour widely referred to in the industry as ‘RAL 1021 Rape Yellow’, which refers to rapeseed.

‘The colour name will be altered to rapeseed yellow for all future production of this paint.’ However, the customer told the Telegraph she still wasn’t satisfied it had ever been sold. ‘You wouldn’t sell something called abortion red or poo brown. To me it’s the same thing, it’s offensive,’ she said.

‘It is a word that is a problem. How many other words can you think of for yellow without using that one?’

Sources:
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/25/aldi-w...ictim-5774746/
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...acc8fe14f8f741
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lt-victim.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Not exactly the best business choice, just sayin. A name change is a good idea.
    Though her comment at the bottom is a bit idiotic the company should have forseen this and made sure it was always printed as Rapeseed Yellow.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Though her comment at the bottom is a bit idiotic the company should have forseen this and made sure it was always printed as Rapeseed Yellow.
    But rapeseed is not yellow
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Uhh, that is a can of worms.

Some women will look you straight in the eyes afterwards and say all contently: "You raped me," before pressing themselves up against you in a cuddle.

It's really nobody's place to judge what goes on in other people's bedrooms.

Feminists would lynch me if they knew all the stuff that went on in mine, but they're missing the part where the women sometimes encourage that D/s behaviour, because they enjoy it physically, psychologically, mentally, etc. I've known women that turned it into an entire lifestyle, everything they did was to please their dom, from getting their PhD in literature to working a demanding high paying job just to please and serve their man, or men. Who are these feminists or rape theorists to claim that these women aren't allowed to enjoy their lives like that?
    Good point.

Feminists are authoritarians who tell women they can't be a certain way (submissive to men, etc), this is very apparent in the bedroom where the vast majority of girls enjoy being submissive to a man, but feel shame in admitting it.

Feminists hate men because they envy them, and their entire basis for what women should be is what men are: dominant, ambitious, aggressive.

I just think that devalues feminine traits that men and women really value: submission, empathy, compassion and motherhood.

That being said, we're way past that stuff now.

We're in the age of Netflix and Chill, no mansplaining during the slutwalk. Enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-03-27 at 07:03 PM.

It's silly to talk about feminists as some sort of homogeneous group by assigning a single position to them, especially when you are going to use it to debase the entire group.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds like a lot of work.
    how do you feel about MRA's Nixx? hope its not in a Homogeneous sort of way. . .

OT: changing the name is Stupid since its literally named after Rapeseed. . .

Deleted
    To my knowledge, I've never encountered someone who actually calls him or herself an MRA that I have positive views of.

that seems completely reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Good point.

Feminists are authoritarians who tell women they can't be a certain way (submissive to men, etc), this is very apparent in the bedroom where the vast majority of girls enjoy being submissive to a man, but feel shame in admitting it.

Feminists hate men because they envy them, and their entire basis for what women should be is what men are: dominant, ambitious, aggressive.

I just think that devalues feminine traits that men and women really value: submission, empathy, compassion and motherhood.

That being said, we're way past that stuff now.

We're in the age of Netflix and Chill, no mansplaining during the slutwalk. Enjoy the ride.
    Wait.. this is an epiphany. So, feminists shame women that enjoy the traditional gender roles into being something they don't want to be? Is that what you're saying?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

An Aldi spokesman told Metro in a statement: ‘This paint is a colour widely referred to in the industry as ‘RAL 1021 Rape Yellow’, which refers to rapeseed.

‘The colour name will be altered to rapeseed yellow for all future production of this paint.’ However, the customer told the Telegraph she still wasn’t satisfied it had ever been sold. ‘You wouldn’t sell something called abortion red or poo brown. To me it’s the same thing, it’s offensive,’ she said.

‘It is a word that is a problem. How many other words can you think of for yellow without using that one?’
    Canola Oil was named for "Canada Oil Low Acid" instead of rapeseed oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    A similar unfortunate thing happened to these guys:

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    As soon as I saw "Rape Yellow" in the title I thought before clicking... I bet it's coloured after rapeseed. Sure enough...

This is a tough one... because calling a product "rape yellow" is in fact piss poor marketing.

I don't normally like to side with political correctness... I'm guessing the printing system for the can labels had a character limit specified for the colour name so they had to shorten it to "rape yellow". But "canola" which is visually identical to rapeseed would have been a better name choice, and everybody should know exactly what colour canola is.

So from a marketing perspective (and not political correctness) I'm going to have to say yes...they should have renamed it. I also don't buy products that threaten to rape me.
    You know that Canola is Rapeseed Oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Canola? Doubt many people would know about it here
    It's the Canadian/US name for Rapeseed oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next up.

The color Black is racist! We want it changed to Ebon of Ebonest!

To my knowledge, I've never encountered someone who actually calls him or herself an MRA that I have positive views of.
    Don't feel bad, we feel the same way about giant women with hooves too. -Al Bundy

The following edit was paid for by:

Last edited by The Penguin; 2016-03-27 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But rapeseed is not yellow
    Rapeseed (Brassica napus), also known as rape:

Seems yellow to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to use Urban Dictionary for this, I'm just too old at times, I kept thinking Why would anyone want to call them selves magnetic resonance angiogram. 0.o