Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    No lol, tbh not sure why these people are saying to buy an i5 in a 2k+ gaming rig. The truth is that the 6600k will be slightly faster in games (very slight) but you asked to have a system that wouldn't be outdated in a few years, by going x99 and a 12 core CPU you are guarding yourself against that as much as possible.

DX12 is coming to games within the next 2 years, no one knows for sure yet but its very possible games will be able to make use of more CPU cores, having 12 vs 4 on the 6600k is just the smart choice imo, especially with a budget of 2k+.
    Because, if it's only for gaming, there's no reason to spend $2k. Even as DX12 starts to use more cores, do you really think games will suddenly at some point in the next 6-8 years start needing 12x the current CPU power they need? Even when they start utilizing more cores, an i5 still has 4 cores, that 4 times the power of games using a single core. That's FAR more than enough.

Also, yes, X99 is a dead platform. There is no more being developed for it. Period. You can not argue that there will be another CPU made for it. Also, in case of component failure, like say motherboard, since it's a dead platform, they are going to become more scarce, especially after Skylake-E arrives later this year. Those will become the standard and X99 stuff will not be produced anymore, making it go up in cost.

Just because someone has a $2k budget does not mean you need to spend $2k. You can literally get the exact same performance and lasting power out of a cheaper system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apdc05 View Post
    I want to spend more though to be prepared for the future.
    Spending more does not make your system anymore prepared for the future. I can put together a system for likely about $1500 that will perform nearly identically(depending on silicon lottery) to a $5000 system and last just as long. There comes a point in hardware where spending more does not really get you anything.

So on the point of X99, again, unless you are doing some audio/video work or other really CPU heavy tasks(ie. NOT GAMING) those extra cores are literally just wasted money. In addition, the i5-6600k is newer, not on a dead platform that can no longer be upgraded and will have a difficult time finding replacement components if something fails down the road. Since it's newer, it has higher IPC and on a game that cares about IPC you'll get slightly better performance out of the i5.

basically, nearly everything Fascinate says is wrong. Do not listen to the guy. He's been spreading bad advice all over these forums for the past week or two.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because, if it's only for gaming, there's no reason to spend $2k. Even as DX12 starts to use more cores, do you really think games will suddenly at some point in the next 6-8 years start needing 12x the current CPU power they need? Even when they start utilizing more cores, an i5 still has 4 cores, that 4 times the power of games using a single core. That's FAR more than enough.

Also, yes, X99 is a dead platform. There is no more being developed for it. Period. You can not argue that there will be another CPU made for it. Also, in case of component failure, like say motherboard, since it's a dead platform, they are going to become more scarce, especially after Skylake-E arrives later this year. Those will become the standard and X99 stuff will not be produced anymore, making it go up in cost.

Just because someone has a $2k budget does not mean you need to spend $2k. You can literally get the exact same performance and lasting power out of a cheaper system.

- - - Updated - - -

Spending more does not make your system anymore prepared for the future. I can put together a system for likely about $1500 that will perform nearly identically(depending on silicon lottery) to a $5000 system and last just as long. There comes a point in hardware where spending more does not really get you anything.

So on the point of X99, again, unless you are doing some audio/video work or other really CPU heavy tasks(ie. NOT GAMING) those extra cores are literally just wasted money. In addition, the i5-6600k is newer, not on a dead platform that can no longer be upgraded and will have a difficult time finding replacement components if something fails down the road. Since it's newer, it has higher IPC and on a game that cares about IPC you'll get slightly better performance out of the i5.

basically, nearly everything Fascinate says is wrong. Do not listen to the guy. He's been spreading bad advice all over these forums for the past week or two.
    What would you recommend? If you could build a computer based on your knowledge using PCPartPicker I would really appreciate it! <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What would you recommend? If you could build a computer based on your knowledge using PCPartPicker I would really appreciate it! <3 And like I said before I have a decent budget so go with premium pieces thanks!

Here is a very solid build Kost put together in another thread. It's only lacking a video card. I'm really kinda iffy on video cards at the moment because it's a really bad time to buy one. I'd either go with a Nano and remove the power limit, making it function somewhere in between a Fury and a Fury X or just get a GTX 950 as a holdover until the new cards arrive later this year. The GTX950 is probably the better choice, but if you want stellar performance right now then go with the Nano.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.64 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
    Total: $990.05
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 14:23 EDT-0400

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    IF you game only the X99 platform isn't for you. There is a debate that its cheap enough atm in US that is worth going over an 1151 i7. But if you have no use for the extra cores, which you don't for gaming, then an i5 6600 or even i7 6700k is "more futureproof". Also don't waste money on this that will give you no performance gains other than say case looks.

I would say we are not exactly there for 4k gaming. There is also new gpu's coming out in the following months that will be far better than current ones. If you are going to drop that much cash i'd grab a cheap gtx950 for now and go for the big dogs in Autumn when they are out. Also buy the monitor then too cause prices on those go down all the time. Another option that you can go now is ultrawide 3440x1440p, i find it better atm with a 980ti. As for the rest of the rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Best Buy)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1221.44
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 02:53 EDT-0400
    Have a few questions for ya

How does this build look?
    Any suggestions on a solid 4k monitor?
    Can you recommend a 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum? I don't know what speed to get and whether to get 1x16GB, 2x8GB or 4x4GB modules. I really like the look of this RAM with the case I've chosen.

Your welcome to critique my choices and choose what you would recommend instead Thanks!

(Also, I'm salvaging 2 storage devices from my old system which has windows 10 home (64-bit) but I still listed it in the PCpartpicker below):

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($638.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1801.68
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 01:03 EDT-0400

Thanks

Aww why did you change to the H100i, the thermaltake would look so good in that case with the white fans and filling all the fan slots at the top lol (ya im a bit of aesthetic freak).

And lord almighty please dont put red ram in there, i beg you lol.

My friend is like that. Everything has to be red and black. Even if it's a performance lost, smh.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aww why did you change to the H100i, the thermaltake would look so good in that case with the white fans and filling all the fan slots at the top lol (ya im a bit of aesthetic freak).

And lord almighty please dont put red ram in there, i beg you lol.
    Okay okay, I'll go back to thermaltake (did notice i was dropping down to 2 fans from 3) haha and I feel ya on everything matching, can you help me pick a set of corsair dominator platinums for my motherboard? They would match beautifully!

Oh i actually didnt realize the board was red with white on it, that looks pretty cool (i was thinking of the gaming 5 i think). Red ram would look OK then lol. But yes agreed dominators ftw. Id go with these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP6671M/?tag=pcpapi-20

Or save a few bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Really wont make much difference performance wise tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    My friend is like that. Everything has to be red and black. Even if it's a performance lost, smh.
    Its just like anything in life, once you have built so many PC's and suggest hardware for people you gotta look to some other aspect to keep it fresh. Id never suggest parts that were a performance loss just for aesthetics tho, not sure where ya got that idea.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-04-02 at 07:03 AM.

Its just like anything in life, once you have built so many PC's and suggest hardware for people you gotta look to some other aspect to keep it fresh. Id never suggest parts that were a performance loss just for aesthetics tho, not sure where ya got that idea.
    Nah i didn't mean to imply you did, that's just how he is. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Nah i didn't mean to imply you did, that's just how he is. It's weird.
    I do agree, it is a bit weird lol. Ive just been doing this too long, i started out just caring about functionality, compatibility, features,value etc. But now im all about matching colors and making sure every wire in the PC is fully black (even the ends of cables like HD audio from the front panel lol). If you know who a guy on youtube called tinytomlogan is (his channel is oc3dtv) i would always give him shit cause the whole video he would talk about the color of stuff.....but i get it now lol.

I now enjoy the challenge of building someone a PC with a certain budget and making it look as good as possible, which is tough when you only got ~500 bucks to work with.

Whats funny about this whole deal is the manufacturers saw this about four years ago, and started making matte black motherboards and PCB's for video cards. Prior to that they were all mishmashed stuff and they realized they would sell more hardware if they just changed the color lol. Corsair made a killing with cases, one cause they were made well but two the put in cable management holes so you wouldnt see wires all over the place they were also the first company to make all black internal cables (now everyone has both of those features).

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh i actually didnt realize the board was red with white on it, that looks pretty cool (i was thinking of the gaming 5 i think). Red ram would look OK then lol. But yes agreed dominators ftw. Id go with these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP6671M/?tag=pcpapi-20

Or save a few bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Really wont make much difference performance wise tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the difference between the 30gb and 16gb other than the obvious gbs? Even though the 30gb is 3000 hz it has higher latency so i went with the 16gb @2400hz because it was lower latency. I watched a youtube vid that attempted to explain RAM and i calculated the 16gb version with a lower nano sec response time. Is that correct?

Whats the difference between the 30gb and 16gb other than the obvious gbs? Even though the 30gb is 3000 hz it has higher latency so i went with the 16gb @2400hz because it was lower latency. I watched a youtube vid that attempted to explain RAM and i calculated the 16gb version with a lower nano sec response time. Is that correct?
    I doubt you'll ever see the difference

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, why do you say 8 cores when the title of the cpu says 6 cores? Is that something different?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($351.98 @ Newegg)
    It has 6 physical cores and 6 logical cores called hyperthreading. The core i5 is just 4 physical cores, no hyperthreading. Core i7's are i5's with hyperthreading so they have 8 total cores.
    This needs clearing up especially for the OP, meaningless or not I suppose.
    It's 6 core / 12 thread. It does not mean it's a 12 core CPU. Simultaneous multi-threading (SMT) aka hyperthreading is a technology to address an additional thread for one core to execute in parallel. Hyper thread does not mean it increases the core count however. Current SMT increases multi-threaded performance by about 25-30% I believe (can be wrong on the number). In the end, the two threads are addressing one core, and thus limited to what available resources that one core can use, and is completely different than 12c/12t.

Well in terms of processing power for a game like WoW, it's a moot difference anyways? AFAIK wow is still only locked to a single core, as are quite a few games.