Page 32 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For anyone that's interested, FinalBoss uploaded their first look at the Brewmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxoFvWxD1K8

Hey guys just wanted ask some questions of those actually in the alpha right now and get an idea of how things are shaping up for y’all since I’m unable to try things out and test them myself. If you could just let me know a couple things it’d be immensely helpful. I’m not going to ask too much about Brew and tankiness because we don’t have much in the way of raid content to consistenly test (if you’re part of the raid test of course let us know how it went and how it felt!).

1)Is Brewmaster your main, an alt, or just something you’re trying out as someone potentially interested?

2)What level do you generally raid at (LFR/Dungeon Finder, Normal, Heroic, or Mythic).

3)While it’s currently the weakest of the talent tier, how does Secret Ingredient feel to play without taking into account brew generation?

4)Do you think there’s too much, enough, or not enough downtime in the current rotation. Does tracking your brews do enough to help with feeling like there’s downtime?

5)Does Special Delivery land on you, around you, or on a random enemy?

6)Flaming Keg sufficient for ranged pick up?

7)Feelings on Gift of the Ox

8)How clear is it when you should purify and when you should continue to pour resources into Ironskin Brew? Do you feel like you could effectively play and balance the two without an add-on?

9)If there was one thing you could do to improve Brewmaster in Legion as it is now what would it be?

10)Is there any part of the spec that feels like it doesn’t belong or feels really out of place?

Thanks again!
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Hey guys just wanted ask some questions of those actually in the alpha right now and get an idea of how things are shaping up for y’all since I’m unable to try things out and test them myself. If you could just let me know a couple things it’d be immensely helpful. I’m not going to ask too much about Brew and tankiness because we don’t have much in the way of raid content to consistenly test (if you’re part of the raid test of course let us know how it went and how it felt!).

1)Is Brewmaster your main, an alt, or just something you’re trying out as someone potentially interested?
    2)What level do you generally raid at (LFR/Dungeon Finder, Normal, Heroic, or Mythic).
    Main Monk, raiding mythic (~300 rank)

3)While it’s currently the weakest of the talent tier, how does Secret Ingredient feel to play without taking into account brew generation?
    Since Keg Smash makes up about 40% of our damage right now the talent plays a similar role like Chi Explosion did; a hybrid offensive/defensive choice which allows you do deal more aoe, but encourages energy pooling a bit more than usual. Mainly because TP also costs energy, so it might proc when you have 0 energy, which does nothing.

4)Do you think there’s too much, enough, or not enough downtime in the current rotation. Does tracking your brews do enough to help with feeling like there’s downtime?
    It's... different. It feels a lot like playing a paladin in WoD: most of your buttons have no cost, just short cooldowns and many of them will often get off cooldown at the same time, making you pick and choose which to use first (and unable to avoid the awful feeling of wasting uptime). You can opt to talent into chi wave and RJW for single target and practically never have a free GCD but I don't think it promotes engaging gameplay.
    Honestly the main issue I'm having here is that there's not enough meaningful single-target/tank-related actions to do and we end up filling free GCDs with meaningless aoe abilities.

You chug a brew. Keg goes straight up from your hitbox about 30 yds, then lands... anywhere between here and mexico. Including mobs you're not in combat with. Damage-wise in a raid setting it's somewhere close to RJW single-target. Tried doing Cenarius tonight with it but it was just too inconsistent, I went back to RJW.

No - 1.25 min CD, currently bugged and deals 1 damage, projectile takes 3-4 seconds to land on a target 30 yards away. Pre-casting RJW and rolling in with a keg smash at hand is much more consistent at the moment.

I was positively surprised using it on raid testing tonight. At first I thought it was.... weird because it didn't proc for most of the fight. But then there were periods were I would stay below 30-40% hp for extended amounts of time due to high raid healing requirements and I could safely spawn, spot and pick up an orb which basically healed me up to full without much hassle. The fact that some of the boss hitboxes are large enough to allow "swaggering" in melee range is a huge factor (Tyrant, Ner'zhul I'm looking at you). It's essentially like the old Glyph of Fortuitous Spheres with the T18 4set added on top of it. High availability when on low hp, large heal.

Still, it's not Guard + Expel Harm and it won't get anywhere close to it by design but I think it's just something we need to accept and get used to (soloing sucks because of this though).

8)How clear is it when you should purify and when you should continue to pour resources into Ironskin Brew? Do you feel like you could effectively play and balance the two without an add-on?
    I'd like to defer judgement on this until I get some more practice with the Artefact nodes and relics to see just how high the stagger amount can go. It's only really important if you're in a situation where charges are hard to come by, which is not the case with the current haste scaling (not sure if bugged or intended), especially if you're playing with Secret Ingredients or Light Brewing.

9)If there was one thing you could do to improve Brewmaster in Legion as it is now what would it be?
    ChiEx is gone, Nimble Brew is gone, Xuen is gone, Glyph of Zen med is gone - quality of life changes which seem to me a bit unnecessary. Ranged pickup is especially painful until you get the keg smash range artefact nodes.

10)Is there any part of the spec that feels like it doesn’t belong or feels really out of place?
    The first thing that pops into my head here is Flaming Keg. Comparing the first node with other tanks it's apparent that the designers opted to start the Artefact journey with an aoe damage ability. In itself this is pretty nice, but related to the downtime issue above it just doesn't have any impact on having yet another long-cooldown/low-damage aoe ability to rotate with. On a 1.25 minute cooldown, I would expect it to be at least on par with something like Mirror of the Blademaster or Bladestorm. It also lacks appeal due to being target like dizzying haze. The entry point ability to my legendary weapon should at least be satisfying to press, would expect it to be targeted with a snapping/instant projectile.

Main since mop

mythic Tinytoo -Frostmourne

Feels like warrior with shield slam procs, except that when it procs you cant always do it(because of energy), so you have this keg smash sitting there, knowing it'll take 4s off your brew that you cant use because its a surprise proc that you cant really plan for. If the proc made it a energy free keg smash it'd be the dream.

After free tiger palms for years, it feels like theres a ton of downtime in the rotation and it feels like im constantly energy starved rather than currently you control your energy and use it before capping, may be im not used to alpha brew yet, but feels bad currently.

Lands around you

Flaming keg is horrific, 1min 25s cd, that you wouldnt really want to use as a ranged pick up because of the nerf to diffuse/dampen, you kinda have to save it as a defensive cd.

Feels weak at the moment, i was banking orbs on Ravencrest and when i got smashed picking up orbs around me (roughly 4-6) didnt even really put a dent into the incoming damage.

Fairly obvious when to ironskin. I'd definitely want a weak aura tracking ironskin brew, especially with the icons being so similiar at a glance you cant see whats what.

Give us an extra defensive cooldown feels like we are definitely missing one on a low cooldown, ive been playing druid currently(on legion) and they just always have an answer compared to monk that seems like they didnt come to legion with their toolbelt.

The flaming keg ability feels like a huge slap in the face tbh, they take away dizzying haze, and basically give it back to us on a 1min 25s cd which is also our new amazing artifact ability. Druids for example have rage of the sleeper which when they get to one of their golden dragon talents in the artifact does 33% more dmg, 33% reflect dmg and 33% leech on a 1.5min cd, that is actually fun to play.

Also everything is now dodge, i imagine thats a design choice but everything we have goes into dodge or stagger, if we come up against a boss that u cant dodge abilities we are going to struggle.

Short Feedback i wrote as i was playing, didn't play much (only 1 dungeon so far), but i can't post on official forums so let's do it here

-The whole mitigation revolves arounds stagger and dodge, dodge isn't reliable and doesn't work on most tank mechanics (which wasn't a big problem in wod because you had guard to compensate), staggering doesn't work on some mechanics, implying brewmasters will be really weak in some situations

-The brew system seems to work out, playing around staggering and purifying is nice

-The Gift of the ox orbs spawn too far (sometimes can't pick them up because they spawn in void zones), the healing is really strong but it seems too rng, I'd rather have the current model with more frequent smaller orbs and smaller healing so you can actually play around it

-Fortifying brew cooldown is way too long, will get 1 to 2 uses per fight, removes a lot of the cd planning and creates a dependency on externals for mechanics brewmasters are weak against

-Secret ingredients is awkward(forces to play at high energy and very random) and seems undertuned brew generation wise

-Light brewing's gameplay seems smoother, makes the gameplay feel a lot more like wod, i don't really mind not spamming tiger's palm every gcd because it's not really interesting gameplay

-Black ox brew could be interesting in raid with tank swaps

-Shouldn't have to choose beetween black ox statue and leg sweep, feels like you're getting gibbed whatever you pick

-With Chi explosion/Chi torpedo damage/Statue gone Rushing jade wind is too mandatory to get threat in aoe situations not to pick it

-Lvl 100 talents seem really anecdotic: Elusive dance is a weaker shuffle, Fortified Mind seems weak because of the extremely long cooldown on Fortifying brew, High Tolerance is a good passive but it's boring and could be broken (reaching 100% stagger is obviously broken)

-Flaming Keg is awkward to use, you don't want to spend time aiming when using a defensive cooldown, could be thrown on your current target instead or just in front of you, or just reworked as a trait (I know flaming kegs are cool but heh)
    Last edited by Mokuna; 2016-04-02 at 03:11 AM.

Main Brewmaster. In signature.

Secret Ingredient is... odd. There's really no longer any need to pool energy for normal gameplay (other than making sure you have enough to Keg Smash when it comes off CD). This one forces you to pool enough to KS, or its effectiveness is greatly diminished. It doesn't seem worth the added complication for the minor benefit, particularly when both of the others are very strong.

I'm going to break from the crowd here. On a target dummy, the rotation feels like it has a few holes - maybe 1 empty GCD per 7-8 sec. In practical play, you're not going to get perfect GCD optimization, and there's a lot to pay attention to with Brews, positioning, and so on that tends to make the "gaps" minimal. Adding more haste also cuts into them due to the way KS interacts with it. If you REALLY hate having even 1 empty GCD once in a while, RJW is actually decent even for ST since it doesn't consume any resources. Haven't done the math on how it would compare to the other two using it "perfectly" rather than having an empty GCD.

Not at all. At the moment, only 2 specs have good ranged pickup - Paladins and Demon Hunters. BrM currently has Flaming Keg (which is best used as a small CD rather than a pickup mechanic - it doesn't say it on the tooltip, but enemies affected by it deal 15% less damage to you), then Provoke and... CJL. I'm not sure if ranged pickup is an intended weakness of the spec (without Dave anyway), but it's a weakness for sure.

My primary concern with the spec at the moment.

The orbs have the same kind of usage that they always did, only instead of lots of variance from frequent RNG, there is a lot more "all or nothing" feel to them. They're actually really good healing, presuming you can make full use of them, and the fact that you get more orbs as you fall lower on health means you are almost guaranteed to get one if you really need it. Playing it, it feels like the RNG should be smoothed out a bit, but all in all, it's not bad.

HOWEVER, the moment fight mechanics come into play, the orbs aren't always reliable. They spawn in a decent radius around you, so a boss that's dangerous to "twitch" with (e.g., Velhari), a boss that has very delicate positioning requirements to avoid cleaving melee, a boss you have to kite or re-position all may prevent the use of the orbs in some situations, and bosses where you switch targets, drag, kite or gather adds, and so on all make the orbs all but useless, with some potentially spawning well out from where you are in the opposite direction, and those are as good as not there.

GotO is a good flavor ability, but I'm not sure I like it as a core mechanic, and the only burst response that the class has.

Honestly, I can't imagine playing Brewmaster without Weakauras. However, I can say the same of every other tank in beta right now, save MAYBE Guardian.

The stagger bar under your nameplate is workable, but I would like the charges of Brew displayed in the same place so you don't have to do eyeball gymnastics to gather the information you need to make an informed decision on ISB vs PB vs holding for charges.

I would make an ability to draw in healing orbs instead of forcing the "dance", and return Dizzying Haze, or some other button to push for ranged pickup/threat generation. I also think that they need to look into abilities that can't be staggered - it was appropriate to have them when BrM was broken and cheating mechanics, but now the class has literally no response to such abilities due to the lack of Guard and reliable healing.

Honestly, not really. The spec from a high-level design perspective, IMO, is doing really well, and I think they nailed the class fantasy.

They just need to get the mechanics working as well in practice as they do in theory, and I think the class will be ready to ship, save for the obvious numbers balance (e.g., DPS and threat generation are very low).
    Last edited by Shamanberry; 2016-04-02 at 09:52 AM.

Deleted
    Is anyone able to share some warcraftlogs from yesterdays testing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    I also think that they need to look into abilities that can't be staggered - it was appropriate to have them when BrM was broken and cheating mechanics, but now the class has literally no response to such abilities due to the lack of Guard and reliable healing.
    My fear - and I guess the fear of Blizzard - is that a lot of mechanism that do heavy damage can be cheated almost completely if you allow stagger on them. Shouldn't be there a reduced rate for ability who should threaten to kill the tank but be survivable ? Because a mostly permanent 60% reduction on any burst damage seem just to trivialize thoses mechanisms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyankopon View Post
    My fear - and I guess the fear of Blizzard - is that a lot of mechanism that do heavy damage can be cheated almost completely if you allow stagger on them. Shouldn't be there a reduced rate for ability who should threaten to kill the tank but be survivable ? Because a mostly permanent 60% reduction on any burst damage seem just to trivialize thoses mechanisms.
    Maybe, but how they have currently designed BrM (no damage reductions outside of stagger), we kind of need it to work on everything to not simply die with nothing to use outside of few CD's where other classes can just AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Can anyone say something to
    Also note, Brewmasters are likely very overpowered in this build; we plan to increase the base recharge time of Ironskin and Purifying Brews substantially in the next build.
    Does he really feel overpowered? I only watched 10min of streams until now and only Towellie ... but BrM seemed really bad compared to Pala for example

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabator View Post
    Is anyone able to share some warcraftlogs from yesterdays testing?
    Cenarius - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...s=1877&wipes=1
    Tichondrius - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...s=1862&wipes=1

Hey I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm trying to get as much together as possible so I can push out what people think in this very early look at'em.

Does he really feel overpowered? I only watched 10min of streams until now and only Towellie ... but BrM seemed really bad compared to Pala for example
    From what I can see and understand from people is defensively Brewmaster feels great but our dps is so piss poor that there's a very real struggle w/ some of the artifact quest mobs apparently. Obviously very much a tuning issue.

I think this is certainly a potential problem as well. On one hand you have a class that literally has all the passive defense of a leather dps but you have stagger (and potentially very high levels of it very consistently). On the other hand the ability to very consistently sit at 80%+ stagger is going to be incredibly overpowered in a lot of ways depending on how much brew we end up being able to generate so that we can purify that damage and then even adding into the fact we have a legendary ring that also extends the amount of time that we have stagger which in turn increases the value of each purify and makes our damage intake even smoother. In my mind I say "flag as magic so the most you'll ever have is a 40/50% reduction", but I'm sure there're arguments to be made about Diffuse magic being too strong or something similar to that or where they want to mix physical hits and magic hits with eachother like Mannoroth's glaive combo.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was said earlier, but currently the stagger is 20 seconds long after the seconds hit that causes it. Not sure if it really divides it to 20 seconds or if it does some very wonky things (like doubles the stagger damage).

Because it is still 10 seconds after first hit and no mention of it being made longer has been made, it is most likely a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Quote Originally Posted by keqe View Post
    I think it was said earlier, but currently the stagger is 20 seconds long after the seconds hit that causes it. Not sure if it really divides it to 20 seconds or if it does some very wonky things (like doubles the stagger damage).

Because it is still 10 seconds after first hit and no mention of it being made longer has been made, it is most likely a bug.
    People are confused and this is a bug.

The way stagger works now is that it ticks every 0.5 seconds for 1/20th of the damage staggered. The theory right now is that 20s debuff is actually saying how many ticks are left, not how many seconds are left, because it used to be one second = one tick.

Deleted
    First of all, @ Alpheus thanks for the logs.

I wasnt able to test myself yesterday, so Im asking. How did the damage income felt like and how much purify was needed/possible while maintaining IBS as good as possible?

What Ive seen in the Tichondrius logs

- HP Pool about 3.25mio
    - each Boss Autoattack did 1.7mio without IBS in average which is 52% of the HP Pool
    - about 38% Autohits missed (Parry+Dodge)

In comparison the Warrior took about 1.4mio per Autohit without a Block and avoided 30%+ with Dodge and Parry.

52% of the HP Pool per Autohits sounds alot for me. We have no EH and Guard anymore to react, and no more Healer Absorbs except PW:S. So it seems kinda mandatory to keep up IBS most of the time and prevent big downtime gaps when actively tanking. The thing is no one know how big the incoming nerf of brew recharge time will be.

Just from some logs my current impressions are

- we are very squishy when IBS is not up makes it kinda mandatory to maintain it
    - we need alot of healer attention *

* When I check "Who healed the Brm" the Brm was still on top but with 40%+ Celestial Fortune which is technically not the Brm's heal when triggered by a healer. Its just as it was a critical heal.

Just my thoughts and only theory. I hope I will find a raidspot on monday if my guild should not be able to bring enough people
    Last edited by mmoc6785fb2956; 2016-04-02 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted

Main since WoD, Mythic raider

Overall i must say i am quite pleased with the new basic rotation. To gain high brew uptimes I heavily stacked haste (~31%) in hc dungeon testing. This haste made the rotation feel really fast paced. Usually:
    BK -> KS -> RJW -> BK -> TP -> TP -> From the start

To fill energy shortage you have to replace TP with BoF every now and then but overall it fits quite well (90 energy needed in 6 sek, ~80 gained)

Without RJW you get quite a lot free globals making the spec a little bit slower but still "fine" ... i really prefer gcd locked thou.

Even if the ability finally deals damage it will still be a joke. Should get reduced by KS and TP too, resulting in ~ 40 sec cd.

Really don't know what to think of the new orbs. They are unreliable and still your only real self heal. Should double spawn rate and half the healing.
    Additionally we need an ability to pick them up from range like Demonhunter or "Detonate Healing spheres".

But well maybe the just add a new layer of skill to the class which I/we still need to get used to.

Really need weakAuras to show all the information in one place but other than that it seems quite straight forward based on stagger level and remaining ISB duration. (Which btw I would keep up 100% of the fight - except if not getting hit for longer periods of time)

Make BoK spawn the healing spheres reliably + adding EH which then just sucks in the closest/all spheres and not on GCD

A few things I would like to mention aside from the questions:

- Brew recharge is now 21 sec - up from 14 (?). This was done after brew got life so this is probably what they meant by needing to drastically increase charge timer. With my gear (30% haste) and all traits this results in 1 brew every ~5.5 sec.

- Damage really undertuned but that was mentioned quite some times.

- Quick writeup, many typos, much sorry

Probably forgot alot. This might have been my first post but will post more frequent now I guess : )

Deleted

I wasnt able to test myself yesterday, so Im asking. How did the damage income felt like and how much purify was needed/possible while maintaining IBS as good as possible?

What Ive seen in the Tichondrius logs

- HP Pool about 3.25mio
    - each Boss Autoattack did 1.7mio without IBS in average which is 52% of the HP Pool
    - about 38% Autohits missed (Parry+Dodge)

In comparison the Warrior took about 1.4mio per Autohit without a Block and avoided 30%+ with Dodge and Parry.

52% of the HP Pool per Autohits sounds alot for me. We have no EH and Guard anymore to react, and no more Healer Absorbs except PW:S. So it seems kinda mandatory to keep up IBS most of the time and prevent big downtime gaps when actively tanking. The thing is no one know how big the incoming nerf of brew recharge time will be.

Just from some logs my current impressions are

- we are very squishy when IBS is not up makes it kinda mandatory to maintain it
    A couple things to help you in the comparison: the bloods and tichondrius have very different auto attack swings (the bloods being far more dangerous) and they occur during heavy movement, every second spawn also accompanied by heavy raid damage. I wouldn't delve too deeply into numbers at this point; gear is random dps greens
    scaled to heroic raid level with limited artefact powers and everyone has 500ms latency. Both of us [tanks] felt safe and strong enough to go through the encounter that we could focus on boss mechanics and raid positioning and none of the abilities were terribly broken on this specific fight (apart from those that are generally already broken/not working).
    I wouldn't even compare damage tank-to-tank since both of us had different timing cycles and warriors are in a far more mature development cycles than brewmasters at the moment.

- we need alot of healer attention *

* When I check "Who healed the Brm" the Brm was still on top but with 40%+ Celestial Fortune which is technically not the Brm's heal when triggered by a healer. Its just as it was a critical heal.
    I didn't really get this impression, at no point did either of us feel "squishy" or grasping for more heals. I disagree on Celestial Fortune belonging to the healer: it's based on the monk's crit chance so he has far more control over it through gearing than the healers do (and it's probably cheaper for us budget-wise).

I'd be much more worried about the impact of our mastery since it has a very binary feel to it: it's practically unnoticeable on the bloods since their melee swings are synchronised and I don't think there's any global bad luck streak prevention at work at such a small timeframe. If anything, I'd rather have the triggers for gift of the ox and our mastery flipped over: make gifts spawn after you take successive large hits (regardless of absorb/health) and make our mastery gives our more dodge the less HP we have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    A couple things to help you in the comparison: the bloods and tichondrius have very different auto attack swings (the bloods being far more dangerous)
    I just checked the Boss' Autohits for a more general analysis. It was just a "Patchwerk Style" comparison

I wouldn't even compare damage tank-to-tank since both of us had different timing cycles and warriors are in a far more mature development cycles than brewmasters at the moment.
    You are right, making a Tank-to-Tank comparison does not make much sense. It was more or less just a side note when I compared the unmitigated Hits of a monk with a warrior.

I disagree on Celestial Fortune belonging to the healer: it's based on the monk's crit chance so he has far more control over it through gearing than the healers do (and it's probably cheaper for us budget-wise).
    In this point you are right. We have the control over it via gearing for it or not. But we still need someone to trigger the effect aka someone needs to pay attention for us and throw healings.
    Our only real healing source is GotO. All other selfheals are so small that they probably wont decide about staying alive or death. The only exception here are Healing Elixirs. But here it depends if this will be our new "go to" Talent in this tier.

The initial build had the CD on brews lower by at least 5 seconds, you could have ironskin brew up 90% of the time without even pressing any buttons. It was hotfixed before the raidtesting

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit of a lame rotation right now, but it's nice to be a brewmaster instead of a guardmaster.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.