Deleted

I have a problem, you have the solution (re-installing OS question)

Now: SSD 120 GB with windows 7 installed on it C:\
    1 TB HD D:\ for storage, game installs etc.

I want: To upgrade to windows 10 on a brand new 250 GB SSD and make it the new C:\ (not even connected yet)
    To format current C:\
    To keep/not touch anything on D:\

Solution: How do I go about doing this in the right order?

Bonus: Should I install windows 10 on one of the other disks instead, if thats a better choice?

Last edited by mmocff555210cb; 2016-04-05 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disconnect 120GB SSD (Current C:\)
    Connect 250GB SSD
    Install Windows 10 on 250GB SSD
    Make sure BIOS is booting off 250GB
    Re-connect 120GB SSD (Booting from 250 now)
    Format 120GB SSD

It MIGHT be worthwhile to clone the 120gb to the 250gb, and THEN do the 'upgrade' so that it registers that drive. I'm not sure how finicky the Win10 Upgrade is with new hardware.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Disconnect 120GB SSD (Current C:\)
    Connect 250GB SSD
    Install Windows 10 on 250GB SSD
    Make sure BIOS is booting off 250GB
    Re-connect 120GB SSD (Booting from 250 now)
    Format 120GB SSD

It MIGHT be worthwhile to clone the 120gb to the 250gb, and THEN do the 'upgrade' so that it registers that drive. I'm not sure how finicky the Win10 Upgrade is with new hardware.
    If you're trying to utilize the Windows 10 free upgrade from your current Windows 7 license, you will have to do one of the following:

A) To install fresh to your new SSD:
    1. Upgrade to Windows 10 on your current drive. Make sure Windows is activated.
    2. Disconnect your current drive, connect new drive, install Windows 10
    3. Reconnect old drive (making sure as Chazus mentioned to select 250gb as boot) and format it

B) To keep existing information and program installs:
    1. Upgrade to Windows 10 on your 120gb. Make sure Windows is activated.
    2. Create backup of current drive and restore to new drive, or clone it - whichever method you prefer.
    3. Since Windows used to be running from a 120gb partition, you'll have to manually expand the partition once you've gotten Windows up on the drive to fully expand to the 250gb.

Edit: forgot an option
    C) To start fresh without upgrading old drive first:
    1) Disconnect current drive, install Windows 7 on new drive and activate with your product key
    2) Upgrade to Windows 10
    3) 3. Reconnect old drive (making sure as Chazus mentioned to select 250gb as boot) and format it

For future reference, this is a process you should only have to do once. After you've gotten to Windows 10 on either drive and activated it, your upgrade will be tied to your computer's motherboard. Provided you don't change that, any future installs of Windows 10, fresh or not, should just automatically activate.
    Last edited by shaw0050; 2016-04-06 at 12:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I guess it should be clarified ... are you looking to make a clean install, or keep all your stuff installed currently?

You can resize the partition with most cloning software during cloning process (I use Macrium Reflect free)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I would

1) backup important stuff I want to keep
    2) connect new drive to system
    3) Clone old c: to new drive
    4) disconnect old c: drive and boot from the new c: drive
    5) do the upgrade to win 10 or skip 4 and do fresh install which should be possible now with the latest install version of win10
    6) reconnect old drive and format

I would only do the upgrade/clean install of win10 to the new drive to avoid possible conflict with new hardware even if it should not happen

Deleted
    I want a fresh install, reason is my current c: drive is running out if space and my windows folder is huge like 60-80 GB iirc and it seems to be growing lol. I don't know why but if I clone it won't I have the same problem? Just that it won't be as noticeable on my new SSD as it's twice as big.

Maybe if I upgrade to windows 10 my windows folder will shrink?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    I want a fresh install, reason is my current c: drive is running out if space and my windows folder is huge like 60-80 GB iirc and it seems to be growing lol. I don't know why but if I clone it won't I have the same problem? Just that it won't be as noticeable on my new SSD as it's twice as big.

Maybe if I upgrade to windows 10 my windows folder will shrink?
    That sounds like you need to turn off some of the restore/backup functions.

Deleted
    It's easy really;

- Connect new ssd (disconnection your old one isn't necessary)
    - Make it the primary boot device in your bios
    - Boot up the Windows 10 (usb) installer
    - Install Windows 10 on new ssd, use your Windows 7 licence. If for some reason, this doesn't work (it should) use a generic Windows 10 licence found on the MS website and change it after the installation.

After, you can format your old ssd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    That sounds like you need to turn off some of the restore/backup functions.
    Is this the same as deleteing "shadow copies"? I did that and it didn't make a difference. Finally had to compress a lot of folders in there because it was nearing on 100% full.

I assumed a fresh install was the only way to get the folder size down to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Is this the same as deleteing "shadow copies"? I did that and it didn't make a difference. Finally had to compress a lot of folders in there because it was nearing on 100% full.

I assumed a fresh install was the only way to get the folder size down to normal.
    One thing you can try is to clean up system files.
    1). In the start menu search, type "Disk Cleanup" without the quotes and launch the program that it finds.
    2). Click on "Clean up system files" in the bottom left of the Window.
    3). Follow the rest of the steps (they're pretty straight forward from here).

Your mileage may vary in terms of how much space you actually save.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    It's easy really;

- Connect new ssd (disconnection your old one isn't necessary)
    - Make it the primary boot device in your bios
    - Boot up the Windows 10 (usb) installer
    - Install Windows 10 on new ssd, use your Windows 7 licence. If for some reason, this doesn't work (it should) use a generic Windows 10 licence found on the MS website and change it after the installation.

After, you can format your old ssd.
    I'd actually follow this advice - I didn't realize that Microsoft now lets you activate Windows 10 with a valid Windows 7 key. This'll get you a clean install as simply as possible.