Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpSucks View Post
    I'm not suggesting that. I am suggesting that Blizzard take on making a vanilla private server. Do I have to say the implications of a multi-billion dollar company trying it as opposed to 5 geeks in a basement?
    You mean the risks of creating infrastructure to support the millions of people who will likely use it for a couple hours and then never touch it again?

Do you have any idea how businesses work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    An author writes a book. Posts it on amazon as a digital book.

Someone hacks amazon, grabs a digital copy of the book. Reads it.

They stole an idea that would have been money for the author.

The law isn't wrong

You're comparing apples to oranges.

A more fitting analogy would be: An author writes a book. Posts it on amazon and sells it.

Years later, the author no longer sells the book. Infact after many requests he still refuses to sell it. Someone uploads it and gives it to people for free, that's the only way to still get the book.

Big difference.

Finally. /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    It's a completely different service, the company does not even provide anymore.

Big difference.
    It's much more than a service when it contains assets and code that can be and are under copyright. Elements of the 1-60 zones are still available in the game and still part of the service. Same with dungeons and raids.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Nope, not assumptions. Yes, there are idiots who would pay, I said as such. Unfortunately there isn't enough sub 20 iq individuals who play wow and would pay to make it profitable. But cool that you talked to idiots who would pay.
    Why are you using insults in every sentence? Did your bff leave you for a private server or any other trauma in the past?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    The law is obviously not wrong, because it's STILL the law.

The EULA is a legally binding agreement, which has been broken by ALL people involved in the legacy servers WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY played the Retail version of WoW at ANY POINT, because they agreed to the EULA.

Are you actually just too stupid to understand this?
    Agreed. This is how it is.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Prove that they haven't.

Hey look, I'm making ridiculous arguments! Am I as good as you now?
    I already said this. He told me he didn't have to provide proof to support his own argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Why are you using insults in every sentence? Did your bff leave you for a private server or any other trauma in the past?
    Not insults. Just calling a spade a spade. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

You mean the risks of creating infrastructure to support the millions of people who will likely use it for a couple hours and then never touch it again?

Do you have any idea how businesses work?
    Oh look, more hyperbole. Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Not insults. Just calling a spade a spade. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.
    You just hurt my spades feelings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's much more than a service when it contains assets and code that can be and are under copyright. Elements of the 1-60 zones are still available in the game and still part of the service. Same with dungeons and raids.
    Overall, it's a completely different version of the game. Hardly comparable.

People that want to play this version of the game, do not even want to play retail WoW. If you say it causes them financial damage, prove it does. If it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with it.

>you break the EULA you are a terrible person

>mfw

its the fucking internet and more specifically a video game on the internet
    you are not personally profiting when blizzard shuts down a source of fun for hundreds of thousands of people
    you are not on a moral high ground by being anti private server
    you're just a prick who takes video games too seriously by being happy when people cant play their preferred version of a video game in some sort of distorted elitism

7+ Year Old Account
    I swear to god Blizzard just will not stop giving us reasons to hate them. Make a god damn vanilla server or leave people making servers for absolutely no profit alone. JFC Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I was a member in a 40 man raid guild on Nostalrius.
    Fixed that for ya.

No sympathy for private server people, although I too think Blizzard would make some decently money off of making servers for every xpac. Question is, if they did so, what patch each xpac would they use? The final patch before x.0.0?

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    I guess you can also prove that every piece of pirated media was a lost sale too.
    I guess you can also prove that people playing on private servers would never play on official servers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Question is, if they did so, what patch each xpac would they use? The final patch before x.0.0?
    That's what private servers do, yes.

Vanilla: 1.12
    BC: 2.4.3
    WOTLK: 3.3.5

etc

At least, in Vanilla's case, it would be absolutely fucking retarded to open a 1.0.0 server, because the game was so horrendously broken at release. 1.12 was practically a completely different game than 1.0, in terms of class balance and general mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpSucks View Post
    Good job, you completely sidestepped my argument and posted an irrelevant fact to make yourself look good. Uh, okay.

Yes, people pirate games. Water is also wet. Jesus also (probably) existed.
    You didn't have an argument, only empty assumptions. The idea that there's lots of people willing to pay for legacy servers is only that, an assumption, with no basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

A more fitting analogy would be: An author writes a book. Posts it on amazon and sells it.

Years later, the author no longer sells the book. Infact after many requests he still refuses to sell it. Someone uploads it and gives it to people for free, that's the only way to still get the book.

Big difference.
    The hilarious thing is that what you said to clarify is also illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And what's wrong with that? Can you offer one good argument for piracy?
    Yes. When the product is discontinued and access removed entirely. If I can no longer purchase the product then what is wrong with someone producing it for non-profit? Back to my Nokia phone analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You didn't have an argument, only empty assumptions.
    The irony is breathtaking.

The idea that there's lots of people willing to pay for legacy servers is only that, an assumption, with no basis.
    Not really. When millions of people have played private servers over the years when they have become unavailable, that is direct evidence of desire to play old content.

It's no longer an assumption, genius.

Deleted
    The hilarious thing is that what you said to clarify is also illegal.
    That's the problem, it shouldn't be.