Quote Originally Posted by xhisors View Post
    That example is absolutely terrible and not relevant at all. Can you explain how writing an article and getting privileges taken away to everything microsoft? Is the same thing as stealing software and then distributing it Illegally, because I'm not getting the comparison.

They redistributed software for people to use without blizzards consent. You know that client you download and install? Yeah that's illegal. On top of that blizzard has software patents, intellectual property and a billion other rights that have been paid for by blizzard to solely own. They get to decide whats done with the software, who gets to use it, when they get to use it and how they use it. The only thing WE AS CONSUMERS have rights to is our account, which can be closed with or without cause by Blizzard.

TLDR: You buy the rights to access the software and servers... we as consumers own nothing.
    You're confused. If you buy software at a store -- whatever is on that cd is *YOURS*. That's the long *and* short of it. The license to access their servers is a sererate entity. I think this is where you're confused.

No one is "redistributing" anything -- so long as the host and client own a legal copy (like from, say, WalMart) -- then you are free and clear.

You are aware that you can buy World of Warcraft at stores still, yes?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's too bad they shut it down. Killing fun for a bunch of people even though it really didn't affect them. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Acadeus View Post
    Why don't you just kill yourself, you retarded ape? I didn't think you fit Blizzard's dick further down your throat, and then I read this comment. Seriously, just fucking kill yourself.
    You literally made an account to tell someone to kill themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Well I will not be joining everyone in legion. This was a move by Blizzard to get people from when the game used to actually feel like an MMO to their piece of shit game they have now. Fuck I am angry.
    What a shame. Blizzard knows their ship is sinking so they decide to sink the life boats along with them.

Copyright laws are terrible and only favor the powerful. I grief for Nostralius

Quote Originally Posted by Acadeus View Post
    Why don't you just kill yourself, you retarded ape? I didn't think you fit Blizzard's dick further down your throat, and then I read this comment. Seriously, just fucking kill yourself.
    Moved so much by one silly idea to make an account here to tell someone to kill themself? You must be the life of the party anywhere you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    The point is people are free to dislike something, disagree and talk about it despite it being in Blizzard's rights to do.

Again it's not a bout if it's illegal or not, everyone knows it's not. It's about if it was as immoral as some people here make it seem, and how much harm was it actually doing to Blizzard.

People can talk about it all they want, but it's a business decision by Blizzard, plain and simple. Yes, there're people who've enjoyed playing the original game , but Blizzard is first and foremost a business first, not your friend. Now, if I was the owners of that server I might get with Blizzard and see how this could work out from a business point of view, not nostalgia. Blizzard business side doesn't care about nostalgia unless they're getting a profit from it. See how it works? (Put yourself in the business shoes )

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    No, no you didn't. You can go to WalMart, buy World of Warcraft on a CD *RIGHT NOW* and boom.

EULA and ToU only apply to their servers and still, legally, are a very gray area. You can't "give away" certain rights. Autodesk tried this, like I said. They failed.

A company can not take something you legally purchased away from you because they don't like *how* you use it unless a specific agreement is made *during the purchase*.

As nearly no one will accept returns from opened software, you don't need to decline the EULA -- I'd argue. The agreement was made before the EULA applied. The EULA can not supercede your purchase agreement.

Imagine if you bought a car, you drive home, the next morning it said you had to pay the dealer $5 / month or the car wouldn't work anymore. You'd be pretty pissed, huh? That's, more or less, how this is working.

Now if the store warned you and you agreed -- that's a whole other story, but I don't know a single store that does this and that's why Autodesk lost and was unable to revoke a license. Those people *owned* that software and developers can piss off.
    You make a fair point. Still, WoW is Blizz's IP so they have the right to go after people who use it in ways they don't agree with. Whether they win or lose is another story though. Seems the lawyers sided with Blizzard on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    I agree Nos is stealing and Blizz is in their right, but the glee of some posters is beyond that, and you know it.
    Absolutely. But on the other side, there was a poster who claimed they would pay $45 a month for a vanilla server.

The justifications for this shit are out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    You're confused. If you buy software at a store -- whatever is on that cd is *YOURS*. That's the long *and* short of it. The license to access their servers is a sererate entity. I think this is where you're confused.

No one is "redistributing" anything -- so long as the host and client own a legal copy (like from, say, WalMart) -- then you are free and clear.

You are aware that you can buy World of Warcraft at stores still, yes?
    Can we stop pretending to know what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Yes, it's public domain. But that's still just standing by it "because it's the law", not for any actual consideration of what is or not immoral.
    You idiot. There is no morally right reason for Nos to use a copy of blizzards server. It is stealing. Stealing is against the law and stealing is not morally right. If your tears didn't taste so good, i would ask you to stop because your posts are making everyone more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Dude, the fact that Blizzard allowed Nostalrius to stay up for that long is mind-blowing.

Private servers are essentially thievery. It sucks for the people who got invested in Nostalrius but this is why anyone smart would not do so; they're a deathtrap. If they're publicized, they will be closed down because they are illegal. I'm all for giving Blizzard shit but this is not where I will, and this is coming from someone who, played on private servers for another game and had almost a year of progress shut down in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccio View Post
    Ehm, no not really you are clearly biased since you enjoyed it, it received a fuck ton of hate, like hooooooly shit it got a lot of hate, i remember the amount of thread saying ''lol blizz your subs are going down hill'' even right now there are still people saying how terrible mop was.
    I didn't enjoy it just because I have a panda as my avatar. I only played it for 4 months. All I know is how much people praised MoP when WoD came.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccio View Post
    Ehm, no not really you are clearly biased since you enjoyed it, it received a fuck ton of hate, like hooooooly shit it got a lot of hate, i remember the amount of thread saying ''lol blizz your subs are going down hill'' even right now there are still people saying how terrible mop was.
    Yep, it's quite crazy how the expansion with such love put into it and so much actual content can be called shit. But would explain how these people (usually the same ones on Nos) can consider 11 year old "content" to offer the height of sophistication and challenge as far as gameplay value goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    Guess, they shouldnt have been asking for money publicly. They would still be riding under the radar. Oh well!
    Shouldn't have had their server in France where Blizzard can shut them down.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    cant wait to watch legion fail and all these circle jerking faggots in here will want vanilla servers

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-04-07 at 12:22 AM.

The 13,000 or so people that played on that server is a massive demand?

Its not even a 1% of the few millions that still play retail

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll potentially be slammed for this, but I'm glad this is happening.

They're showing who the boss is around town. Don't steal the big guy's property.

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    If I started a band the same laws would protect me no matter how small my band was.

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    No, they protect the little guy from having his shit jacked by the powerful.