Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Well, when you join the adult world, you'll learn that there's this thing called the "Berne Convention", that almost every country in the world signed, that forces all countries that sign it to uphold copyright holder's rights in their own country. If you want to find a country that didn't sign, like, oh, Greenland, who didn't sign, hey, go for it. But I don't recall there being ANY countries that don't have any copyright laws at all. There are countries that ignore US copyright and trademarks, like China - but good luck hosting a game for US players in China. Have fun with lag.
    Thanks for clearing that up for us all, really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by idonteven View Post
    i dont see wtf you are trying to argue in this thread. You just seem to like to shit talk what people say. "If i dont find vanilla fun, no one should play it or have fun in it"
    also cya later fucking nerd. Waste more of your life on here
    ...As he wastes his life on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "Stole"? Are you claiming that Blizzard was then unable to setup a Vanilla server because these people stole it?

Or is this a case of people not understanding what the word "stealing" means?
    A better analogy is an artist selling their pictures. Someone buys one of the pictures then copies it and gives it away for free.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/28/t...ivate-servers/

This explains in a much better manner why the odds (and the current interpretation of the law) are not on the side of private servers.

You can argue whether it's moral, which is a different argument entirely that some people are in fact trying to make, but the legality of it isn't as up for debate unless someone rich enough challenges one of these gaming companies in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    If they don't want to make a Vanilla server, I see no reason why they care if other people do. Especially if they aren't making money.

For the people saying "It wasn't a great of a game as you think" or "Retail is better, just play what's out there now", all I have to say is:

Do you ever play games from 10+ years ago? I still play a lot of old squaresoft games. Maybe it is because it's rose-tinted, but I still enjoy myself when I do replay them. I still play Warcraft 3 from time to time. That option is gone for Vanilla. The current game is a totally different experience from Vanilla in almost every way. There are some quests that were completely abolished in the current game that I will never be able to do again. Sometimes I want to be able to play them again.

I played on a Vanilla server once 4 1/2 years ago and I had a lot of fun. It wasn't that I enjoyed it more than retail, I enjoyed it for what it was - a completely different game than retail.
    So what you are saying is you like to play vanilla like you like to play your other old games? Install it for a bit and once bored, just leave until your next rose-tinted nostalgic feeling? That is precisely why Blizzard is likely reluctant to make such servers. They would be used for all of 6 months to a year and then people will naturally get bored because they had their nostalgia fix and can go do other things now.

How many people would actually sit and play vanilla wow for 5+ years in a row with no changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    You sit in your garrison
    Don't currently have an active sub! Playing the division and working. Waiting for legion though. WoD wasn't my thing as pvp was terrible.

This is a lot of armchair lawyers, and I highly doubt anyone here is actually qualified to correctly speak on the topic (myself included), let alone decide it when it's the courts job to do.

Still, this is an interesting discussion.

You think poorly. France is a signatory of the Berne Convention, which requires countries who signed it to treat the copyrights of foreign nationals and corporations equally as they would French copyrights, and gives Blizzard standing to sue. France also has to follow the EU copyright laws, which afford Blizzard protection and give them grounds to sue.
    Did you not read the word "criminal"? Blizzard can of course still sue, but that's civil copyright law.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

What I find somewhat funny about the situation is that Blizzard has maintained all the data for the original Vanilla and 1.xx patches were lost, yet, private servers still manage to come-up with various states of classic wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    lol yeah, I do, the existence of private servers that only stay running by donations.
    And how many servers do those people have on them? I assume you have numbers.

So, where's your proof friend? You are trying to claim that people wouldn't play on private servers if they had to pay, but Blizzard immediately attacks and shuts down servers that charge money,
    Are you saying "my proof can't exist, therefore it can be assumed?" That's asinine.

that's why most servers maintain themselves on donations.
    ...which is not the same as paying 15 dollars a month, even if you were to make the huge leap in logic that said a sizeable number of people were even donating in the first place.

Sorry, still need that proof.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where annoying New Yorkers come to retire

Meanwhile, over at piratebay.se......

It has absolutely nothing to do with "performance" rights. Stop talking about copyright, you haven't the first clue what you're talking about.
    Putting Blizzard IP up on a game server is like showing a movie. That's a right governed by copyright law that's distinct from the right to distribute copies.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajdhfh View Post
    This is a lot of armchair lawyers, and I highly doubt anyone here is actually qualified to correctly speak on the topic (myself included), let alone decide it when it's the courts job to do.

Still, this is an interesting discussion.
    I don't see how it takes a law degree to see that taking someone else's work and giving it away without their consent is wrong. It takes a pretty skeezy knowledge of the law to say it is totally cool though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    If they don't want to make a Vanilla server, I see no reason why they care if other people do. Especially if they aren't making money.

For the people saying "It wasn't a great of a game as you think" or "Retail is better, just play what's out there now", all I have to say is:

Do you ever play games from 10+ years ago? I still play a lot of old squaresoft games. Maybe it is because it's rose-tinted, but I still enjoy myself when I do replay them. I still play Warcraft 3 from time to time. That option is gone for Vanilla. The current game is a totally different experience from Vanilla in almost every way. There are some quests that were completely abolished in the current game that I will never be able to do again. Sometimes I want to be able to play them again.

I played on a Vanilla server once 4 1/2 years ago and I had a lot of fun. It wasn't that I enjoyed it more than retail, I enjoyed it for what it was - a completely different game than retail.
    I've been thinking the exact same thing, and I've been saying it for years. I do enjoy playing old games from time to time, and classic WoW is, despite its obvious flaws, a game that was a true classic who deserved to be played over and over again, just like many other classic games that have been revamped and updated lately. I still play Warcraft 3, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Baldur's Gate 1-2 and many other games that are more than 10 years old, and I would love to play WoW as it used to be again as well. I currently don't because I am too afraid of losing my characters because of shit like this, and with Blizzard recently having patched Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 can't they start working on something for classic WoW as well?!

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You just said the exact same thing I did.
    Sort of. You implied that there was a potential sale to be gained, I pointed out that assuming there was ever a potential sale to be made in the first place is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's the price people pay for taking someone's intellectual property and use it. They should know better and Vanilla for the love of the cosmos...was not as great as you think it is.
    If you were even remotely correct these servers wouldn't even exist because there wouldn't be a demand for vanilla/BC/Wrath servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brangh View Post
    What I find somewhat funny about the situation is that Blizzard has maintained all the data for the original Vanilla and 1.xx patches were lost, yet, private servers still manage to come-up with various states of classic wow.
    People might've kept the data, and shared it among each other. Not sure though but just a thought lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    So what you are saying is you like to play vanilla like you like to play your other old games? Install it for a bit and once bored, just leave until your next rose-tinted nostalgic feeling? That is precisely why Blizzard is likely reluctant to make such servers. They would be used for all of 6 months to a year and then people will naturally get bored because they had their nostalgia fix and can go do other things now.

How many people would actually sit and play vanilla wow for 5+ years in a row with no changes?
    Kinda how a lot of people play official WoW, huh? People sub and unsub all the time because they get bored. I'm in that phase right now. Every now and then I'll go back to WoW to level through the OLD content again, I don't give a shit about Blizzard's shitty updates anymore. If a vanilla server was available to me, I'd be doing it there. I mean, up until Cata, most of my WoW time was spent knocking about the base content. Only really went to Outland or Northrend if I want to have a little fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post

I get what you are saying, but the same is true for the current game. How many people stuck around after BRF(I was sick of BRF after the fifth time in heroic BRF), what I'm trying to say is that people who play usually don't stay for more than two or three months.

Quote Originally Posted by rasako View Post
    If you were even remotely correct these servers wouldn't even exist because there wouldn't be a demand for FREEvanilla/BC/Wrath servers.
    There is always demand for free shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    I don't see how it takes a law degree to see that taking someone else's work and giving it away without their consent is wrong. It takes a pretty skeezy knowledge of the law to say it is totally cool though.
    To be fair, I do understand why Blizzard is taking this action. What I'm saying, is no one here is really able, or at least I doubt they are, explain the intricacies of why and the specifics of it.