Quote Originally Posted by Anon56 View Post
    Why a mod doesn't change the misleading title to : Private server shut down due to lack of financing because people didn't want to pay ?
    Because that's not what happened. It may be what was potentially going to happen, but it wasn't the nail.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Anon56 View Post
    Why a mod doesn't change the misleading title to : Private server shut down due to lack of financing because people didn't want to pay ?
    i prefer " A bunch of kids that pay to stay afk in the garrison are masturbating at the shutdown of a vanilla server "

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    One has little or nothing to do with the other.
    it does. if you want to evaluate the gravity of the theft, you measure how much damage has been done to the victim and the intent of the thief. that's why it's unethical to hang someone for stealing an apple from a tree so he can fucking eat.

ruining these peoples lives will not deter others from running their private servers. being cruel for the sake of punishing is stupid. they had to shut their thing down. there is no reason to cover them in lawsuits, creating debts that will follow their grand-children or put them in prison.

instead of blizz wasting time and ressources on that, they should think of strategies that make people want to play on their servers instead of servers run by people who don't even get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investi...collar/ipr/ipr

Again, you and your opinions are wrong.
    He's also leading you on at this point so can you and everyone else stop replying to him. He knows the truth, he is just being ignorant, just walk way and let the baby have his rattle.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Do you have their permission?

Did they tell you you could do this?

Is it legally licensed by the copyright holder?

No?

Then its stealing.
    Copying a file without the original owner's permission is not stealing. Learn the meaning of words. People just use words like theft and stealing because it sounds more dramatic. Sounds more like it was an immoral thing to do. Because who could argue that it was right to do if it was... *gasp* stealing? Even the bible tells us that stealing is wrong.

But it's not actually stealing, dipshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    You can't steal data.
    The only way to steal data is if you were in a movie, and someone had a program on a chip, and you are a spy on a mission to steal that for the government, thereby depriving the original owner of the program. Meaning they don't have it anymore, cause there is no backup copy. Then you stole it. Making a copy of a file over the internet is not stealing. It's copying.

That's like saying, if you cheated in an exam and copied the answer from your neighbour, that you were guilty of theft and you stole from him. The only way you could actually steal from him is if you physically removed his paper from his possession.
    In this digital day and age, people steal data from companies all the time - they dont delete the data that the company has as it would alert them to their actions - they can then go off and use that data to create a rival product or service or sell that data on or use it to ruin a companies reputation by publishing that data - you are taking something which doesnt belong to you, regardless if you take the original data or the copy of it - it still doesnt belong to you.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Copying without permission = theft.
    No, it's not, learn what theft actually is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Well I will not be joining everyone in legion. This was a move by Blizzard to get people from when the game used to actually feel like an MMO to their piece of shit game they have now. Fuck I am angry.
    Blizzard money money money play our game instead blizzard blizzard...

No but really, they just want money. And that'd take away their players, which In the end.... Is their fault for having such a bad game right now, that Isn't playable, has no real content, where they ban loyal players whove stuck around for 10+ years... so what's the point staying really? Playing a vanila server Is like rediscovering your childhood, would've been for me If they didn't shut It down and tried to money grub as much as their could.

Instead of trying to unban their players who've been wrongly banned and for no good reasons.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    I don't think you played Nost, I played it and it was extremely well polished and the GM Team was good, It was volunteer work so its not going to be as amazing as if blizzard did it.
    Except you know, when guilds raided an unscripted Molten Core and were allowed to keep the loot.

Or when my pet, which I had since level 10, randomly disappeared from the stables and the GMs never bothered to refund it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    And this is why you don't put a megaphone in front of your already considerably big mouth shouting the damn server's name. I get no joy from seeing many people lose their source of fun, but some of them deserve it. The loud, obnoxious ones, who couldn't keep their mouth shut for one minute about their glorious Vanilla server.

Hope everyone else can find a comparable server, though.
    Good point. Smart people usually keep their mouth shut about illegal stuff. Imagine people on streets being like "oh my god i know one drug dealer his stuff is so fucking good!". Yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaelian View Post
    In this digital day and age, people steal data from companies all the time - they dont delete the data that the company has as it would alert them to their actions - they can then go off and use that data to create a rival product or service - you are taking something which doesnt belong to you, regardless if you take the original data or the copy of it - it still doesnt belong to you.
    Yeah, that's still not theft. If companies make data publicly available and you copy that data, it's not theft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your arbitrary definition of theft and the legal definition of theft are two different things, apparently.

However, courts of law usually respect the legal definition of theft, and now what some random guy on the internet thinks theft means.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people discussing the legal issues though? I mean everyone should know that it is obviously not legal because it's pretty much the same as piracy. The issue here is that this is a product there is a massive demand for, and Blizzard who could provide that product is simply not providing it. There is no legal option, without the private servers vanilla WoW is dead and lost forever. Just imagine if Nintendo decided to sue every single emulator website out there and take down all of them, everyone who doesn't own a functional Game Boy, SNES or Nintendo 64 would never have access to those games ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you go into the cinema with a camera, you record a copy of the film you are watching.

FACT = Federation against copyright THEFT is a UK organisation who deals with that.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Legally it's stealing - which means if blizzard is made aware (and there is evidence of this) they have to chase up. I imagine they were ignoring it as long as possible, but once either too much publicity was going or they were aware of the server shutting down they pulled this to practice their legal rights - ensuring they can protect their IP in the future and 'but you let these guys do it' being used against them.
    1. There's no case for them either way since people are using a client that Blizzard distributed for free, and the server files the people hosting the server are using are custom-made.
    2. There is no profit to be gained for them
    3. Blizzard can give exceptions to private servers if they want. EverQuest clearly has a good relationship with several private server owners, as evidenced when they launched their legacy servers. Even if Blizz allows #privateserver1 to exist, doesn't mean they have to allow #privateserver2 to exist.

I don't think the case would stand in court, but Nos devs probably want to maintain friendly relationship towards Blizz, which is understandable - afterall, it's them that provided us with the game we love.

If only we could convince Blizzard to support the private server scene in someway, that would be a big step forwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Says the one who thinks they can decide what's legal or not because you think and quote "You can't take "intellectual property"." I've provided sources and math behind what I've posted. You've posted opinions.
    I never said that I decide what is legal or not. You are lying. I'm going to ignore you now. Have fun being a liar for the rest of your life.

Deleted
    I don't get why some people are so butthurt over this server existing... It's like: "oh no other people are having fun with something that isn't available anymore through retail, don't these suckers know retail wow is masterrace, it has to be because I find it better than vanilla"... It was a server with a huge fanbase, sad to see it go. I only played to level 20 and started a few weeks ago but in the hours that I played I met a lot of great people.

What are your problems with other people having fun on a blizzlike vanilla server? It doesn't harm you in any way... This world's gone sour.

Copying a file without the original owner's permission is not stealing.
    Under the law, yes it is.

Learn the meaning of words. People just use words like theft and stealing because it sounds more dramatic.
    Legal terms. Learn them,

Sounds more like it was an immoral thing to do. Because who could argue that it was right to do if it was... *gasp* stealing? Even the bible tells us that stealing is wrong.

But it's not actually stealing, dipshit.
    Yes it is. Using copyrighted materials and resources, music, art all without permission in violation of copyright law: theft of intellectual property

Intellectual property is protected by patents on inventions; trademarks on branded devices; copyrights on music, videos, patterns, and other forms of expression; and state and federal law
    Last edited by Aehl; 2016-04-07 at 10:56 AM.

You can't steal data.
    The only way to steal data is if you were in a movie, and someone had a program on a chip, and you are a spy on a mission to steal that for the government, thereby depriving the original owner of the program. Meaning they don't have it anymore, cause there is no backup copy. Then you stole it. Making a copy of a file over the internet is not stealing. It's copying.

That's like saying, if you cheated in an exam and copied the answer from your neighbour, that you were guilty of theft and you stole from him. The only way you could actually steal from him is if you physically removed his paper from his possession.
    You're wrong, If i worked for a bank and i took your bank details (original still remains) i'm its not stealing? According to you that the case, According to everyone else, That is stealing. fyi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_theft

Data theft is a growing phenomenon primarily caused by system administrators and office workers with access to technology such as database servers, desktop computers and a growing list of hand-held devices capable of storing digital information, such as USB flash drives, iPods and even digital cameras. Since employees often spend a considerable amount of time developing contacts and confidential and copyrighted information for the company they work for, they may feel they have some right to the information and are inclined to copy and/or delete part of it when they leave the company, or misuse it while they are still in employment.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a dick move but they have to protect their property.