Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Meaning people tried it and even though it was FREE over 80% couldn't stand to continue playing it.

Yeah about suits the point that the Vanilla servers would be a waste of Blizzards resources.
    Over 100 million WoW accounts have been created yet less than 5 million are subscribed... which kind of sinks your argument completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Would you still be ok if you had to pay insurance on your old car, and if all traffic tickets incurred on your old car came to you? Would you be ok if the person who stole your car was a business competitor who used your old car to help his business?
    Are you saying, you've never downloaded a movie,mp3,video or even game before illegally? Or even used a picture without someone's permission before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Even if WoW was on deaths door and wasn't going to last until Legion's release date that wouldn't change the fact that stealing IP and code is illegal and shutting down these servers is perfectly justifiable.
    But...but what if people reeeeally just want to play vanilla?
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbergrape View Post
    I loved vanilla and if Blizz would decide to bring the game back I would not only pay 30-40$ in the store for the old game I would also pay an extra 10-20$ per month to play on the vanilla servers. And that's that.
    Says you now but you don't speak for everyone and most wouldn't pay or pay for long periods of time. Kinda like most do with real game now you think people would pay forever for never changing content?

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    Well, the Nost guys only had to make A legacy server work. Blizzard would have to accomodate it among the live servers, and as I said there's probably a fuckton of code that wouldn't work too well together. It would require different hosting to completely avoid any sort of issue, like it was a completely different game. And the cost of that would be enormous, just for a couple of servers...

They had two choices on how to approach it. Using their old code and simply put it out there for people to play, or pick the old code and change whatever could be changed, not gamewise, but technically using stuff that simply wasn't available back then, which would make for a better experience and easier to maintain. But in both options they couldn't simply have it on the same place as Live servers, the same way that you don't use the same client for the different Blizzard games.
    Or they could have made a partnership with NostWoW and make it act like a live server and link in with bnet and require an active sub,. By link in i mean you login to your bnet and it can check if an active sub is there. thoughts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would argue that the actual big issue is that Blizzard believe that their stolen IP is being used to hurt their brand and their product.
    Right.. So it is a stolen IP. No matter what way you look at it, it is a stolen IP for whatever reason anyone could ever mention. It all comes down to that it is a stolen IP, and frankly. People who complain and say it should be fine to steal an IP, disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    With the amount of activity over this issue it just proves one thing that the Blizz fanboys have been denying for years.

People want a Vanilla server, and it's more than just nostalgia. Nostalgia doesn't keep a continuous peak of 10-13k players online every single day, it doesn't keep a peak of 125,000 accounts active. Blizzard has had years to capitalize on this and they refuse to, which is fine as it's their choice, but they're damn foolish if they think that shutting down Nost is going to get people to go to retail. They'll just go to another vanilla realm.
    Shutting down a large private server was not get people to retail. Servers get too big, they get shut down, has been like that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestah View Post
    If the server is not getting money besides keeping the server up by hosting. I view it fine. It's peoples money, they do with it how they please. It all really comes down to is money. That's it. Money controls the world, money makes conflicts and even death. If money it not going into the pockets of those running the server. I view it perfectly fine.
    You are a philosopher! Lemmie know how that guy-liner works for ya Darkheart...

Anyway. I have no real problem with private servers at all. But, I have also entered into them with the assumption that someday they would be gone. I am not sure, actually, why anyone is acting like Nostralius was the first to get shut down in the history of private servers...

Deleted
    I think the laws protecting IP are perfectly fair. What exactly is immoral about a law preventing people from stealing blizz's code and IP? Or do you think IP should just go out the window and all your electronic entertainment should be free?
    But it wasn't free. People paid for a product that got shutdown. Is it really morally wrong if they wish to continue to use what they bought on their own effort?
    It's more sensible that people are in control of the stuff they buy than being at the mercy of the seller.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    When you purchased Vanilla and agreed to their terms of contract you also agreed that they have the right to change and modify their product. If you at some point disagree with the changes, you are free to cancel your subscription and not to buy any expansions. But what they do with their game is their decision. If you want a feature to be changed, you can explain that to the customer service. That's it.

Also, since the topic of Classic servers is not really a new one - Blizzard should have all data available to decide if a Classic server would be justified in terms of sustainability. Their data seem not to suggest that this case would be worth the hassle. No sane business would waste an opportunity for customer retainment if there is one.
    Thanks for the answer but I must say I'm still a bit bitter. I absolutely despise what warcraft has became but absolutely love what it was. It's a shame that such a fantastic game has to be locked away from the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    WITAF?! How is this hitting 160 pages now?

Deleted
    Even if WoW was on deaths door and wasn't going to last until Legion's release date that wouldn't change the fact that stealing IP and code is illegal and shutting down these servers is perfectly justifiable.
    Except reverse engineering and then emulating isn't stealing, I think you need to go back to school and learn the difference.

With the logic I've been reading here every emulator ever made would be illegal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post
    All the downloads you made are laughing at you
    Companies have the right to fight illegal downloads of their content. And they should. Your make no point here. /facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    If i stole from you would i be breaking the law? Yes. Same applies here, They stole blizzard IP.
    Blizzard stole from themselves when they released crap expansions and took away what the game once was. Why else would they go after a Private server that made no money off their product? Because, they're salty of how disgusting the game has become. I've had Alpha Legion for 2 months. It's a joke. Want proof? I can send screenshots with your name on my toon on there right now. Or even stream it for you saying whatever you please.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    It just goes to show how badly retail WoW is doing atm and that blizzard is desperate as hell to try and salvage something with legion.
    Not really. Even if WoW was doing fantastically well, a private server would still be potentially harmful to them. As far as I know private servers have been around for almost as long as WoW itself, and Blizzard have always had an issue with them and used any legal means at their disposal to shut them down, even at the height of the game's success.

http://www.giantbomb.com/blizzard-en...privat-439363/

"A judge in the California Central District Court ruled Thursday that Scapegaming, also known as Alyson Reeves, has lost its lawsuit against Blizzard. Scapegaming had set up private Blizzard servers that included a microtransactions market. Blizzard sued them in October 2009 for copyright infringement. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jestah View Post
    Are you saying, you've never downloaded a movie,mp3,video or even game before illegally? Or even used a picture without someone's permission before?
    So what are you saying two wrongs make a right? People jaywalk every day or speed in their car. Still doesn't make it legal. The risk of private servers was exactly this to be shut down. It finally happened. Just like if I speed everyday the day I get caught I have to accept the punishment.

Honestly, retail is so shit right now its a shame they deleted one of the only sources of quality wow in the world.

Maybe instead of destroying private servers try to make your own game less shit @Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    WITAF?! How is this hitting 160 pages now?

Nor did I say that

My issue is with extremes, from both sides:

- People rejoicing in the "righteousness" that fell on all the filthy unworthy "thieves" and playing the "moral highground" game like they've never done anything remotely illegal

- People demonizing Blizz for protecting their IP

It's illegal, it's in their right to shut it down, yes. IP protection is a good thing. Doesn't mean everything about it and its players is bad and evil, and all it does is harm, just because "it's agaisn't the law".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Except reverse engineering and then emulating isn't stealing, I think you need to go back to school and learn the difference.

With the logic I've been reading here every emulator ever made would be illegal.
    That's the thing, though. Those emulators are illegal. It's just that the IP owners don't choose to fight them. And when you don't, a court of law will decide that you have forgone your rights to your IP. That's unfortunately how it works.