Page 84 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    It's not false, because I wasn't talking about LGBT, I never once said it in my original post. But, to satisfy your argument since you just want to argue I'll revise my statement:

Discrimination, in general, is largely prevented by federal laws. Orientation, is not guided under federal ruling and is up to the states to prevent discrimination. Happy?

- - - Updated - - -

Only based on being gay, which I wasn't referencing at all. SO my comment wasn't wrong.
    But since it is technically legal to discriminate at the federal level, that statement was false.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Preventing people from shopping where they wish simply because of who they are isn't hate or malice?
    No it's not, I think you've been on Tumblr to much that you can't separate those two things.

Let's say I make my own (private) business. I want to sell hats. But not just any hats, they are top hats designed for men. Under my store, I only want customers who are men and are looking for a top hat. Is that hate or malice? No. I'm just catering to a small majority of people.

Now lets take it up a notch, lets say I own a children's clothing store (still private), and an old guy comes in and wants to buy a bunch of clothes for something sick (make something up in your imagination) do I have the right to discriminate against him now? Does intent matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But since it is technically legal to discriminate at the federal level, that statement was false.
    I can discriminate against someone for anything that is NOT covered by federal guidelines, so your point really doesn't stand. The minority isn't the cause of a definition, it's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    As you've noticed, he's trying to make an argument about a point that you're not making.

You - A store owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Endus et al. - You're obviously homophobic
    When they are seeking to ban exclusively the GLBT community from their stores and not people engaging in other "sins" it is most definitely homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Regardless of the fact that you keep contradicting yourself (claiming to oppose all laws/not all laws, claiming anarchy is impossible but authoritarianism is mandatory, not knowing what "enforce" means, claiming you'll be shot for unpaid fines and providing examples which have nothing to do with that, etc etc) when you say crap like that, it makes you a total dick. You can be both wrong and unlikable, in much the same way you can be a private citizen running a public business.
    never once did I claim to oppose all laws. Since you are flat-out wrong on that assertion, the rest of your comment is meaningless. As far as the definition of "enforce," I used the dictionary definition. If you don't like it, then complain to the people who make the dictionaries. In this case, I am not wrong and unlikeable, I'm right and unlikeable. Most people don't like it when others point out their hypocrisy.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not, I think you've been on Tumblr to much that you can't separate those two things.

Let's say I make my own (private) business. I want to sell hats. But not just any hats, they are top hats designed for men. Under my store, I only want customers who are men and are looking for a top hat. Is that hate or malice? No. I'm just catering to a small majority of people.

Now lets take it up a notch, lets say I own a children's clothing store (still private), and an old guy comes in and wants to buy a bunch of clothes for something sick (make something up in your imagination) do I have the right to discriminate against him now? Does intent matter?

- - - Updated - - -

I can discriminate against someone for anything that is NOT covered by federal guidelines, so your point really doesn't stand. The minority isn't the cause of a definition, it's the other way around.
    I didn't define anything, merely proved that your statement was patently false.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    In the English language according to Wikipedia

A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation the affected person will go to great lengths to avoid, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed. If the feared object or situation cannot be avoided entirely, the affected person will endure it with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.
    Please stop playing semantics. It doesn't change the fact that people who support this law are bigots.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    When they are seeking to ban exclusively the GLBT community from their stores and not people engaging in other "sins" it is most definitely homophobic.
    Homophobic means they don't like them based EXPLICITLY on the fact that they are homosexual. It is different (albeit by not much) when their religion calls for a different belief. The two aren't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    While i don't agree with this law and I'm all for LGBT having equal rights, it does keep a family owned bakery from being forced to do something they don't want to do IE:Make a cake for someone

I look at it like this...Private business should have the right to refuse who ever they want because they are private(family owned mom/pop type places), how ever if your a government or publicly owned business (traded on stock market, franchise, etc) then you don't have the right to refuse service.
    Once again SCOTUS has decided that no business has the right to deny service based on gender, race or religion. It isn't up for debate.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    never once did I claim to oppose all laws. Since you are flat-out wrong on that assertion, the rest of your comment is meaningless. As far as the definition of "enforce," I used the dictionary definition. If you don't like it, then complain to the people who make the dictionaries. In this case, I am not wrong and unlikeable, I'm right and unlikeable. Most people don't like it when others point out their hypocrisy.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't define anything, merely proved that your statement was patently false.
    Well, we agree that we disagree here, no point really dragging this into the ground. Hopefully gay people get some rights at the federal level. As for all other cases of discrimination the laws in place are doing well to prevent most forms.

Its still defined as being based on fear
    Fine. They aren't homophobic. They are just bigots.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Once again SCOTUS has decided that no business has the right to deny service based on gender, race or religion. It isn't up for debate.
    Yes, but orientation isn't included in that, that was the whole issue this past year. We just argued this for the past two pages XD

When did the SCOTUS actually decide that. Since I have read every SCOTUS opinion in full on the issue of gay marriage (because I'm a huge proponent of legalization), which ruling was that?

- - - Updated - - -

Fine. They aren't homophobic. They are just bigots.
    Technically, they would be suffering from homomisia.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    When did the SCOTUS actually decide that. Since I have read every SCOTUS opinion in full on the issue of gay marriage (because I'm a huge proponent of legalization), which ruling was that?

- - - Updated - - -

Technically, they would be suffering from homomisia.
    We've established that there isn't one, partly in fact because gay marriage JUST became legal less than a year ago. Can't keep picking a fight with everyone who disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Here's an idea - if you are a homosexual and you want to get married, don't patronize a Christian bakery that does not wish to bake you a wedding cake. There, problem solved.
    Because bakeries are totally the only type of business.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Preventing people from shopping where they wish simply because of who they are isn't hate or malice?
    No, it is ignorance, and indoctrination.

If someone had told your family for hundreds of years that cats are actually demons in disguise, don't you think it would freak you the fuck out if you moved in with someone and found out they have a cat?
    You are trying to apply logic, and progressive thinking to an area that still (clearly) holds on to archaic beliefs.

Well the argument is whether or not they should, and whether or not groups of people should be treated like endangered animals. It was long feared that the civil rights act was merely a communist grab and it appears every day that the groups of non racist people that opposed the act for non racist reasons were right to suspect that.
    What the fuck is wrong with you? Equality has nothing to do with communism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nobar View Post
    Mannerisms and speech.
    And yet straight people are accused of being gay all the time and it is those straight people who will be denied service by businesses because of this law. This law impacts more than the GLBT community.

We've established that there isn't one, partly in fact because gay marriage JUST became legal less than a year ago. Can't keep picking a fight with everyone who disagrees.
    Then stop saying that there is one.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Then stop saying that there is one.
    I literally never did. Ever.

I literally never did. Ever.
    "Then you aren't a private business. You can't provide a public service and discriminate, it's Federally illegal."

You said it was illegally, federally. How are things made illegal? Through laws and court rulings.

You will also note that I was actually responding to Xanzul at that time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Then you aren't a private business. You can't provide a public service and discriminate, it's Federally illegal."

You said it was illegally, federally. How are things made illegal? Through laws and court rulings.

You will also note that I was actually responding to Xanzul at that time.
    I know who you were responding too, I was trying to give you the hint, that you don't have to argue with everyone that disagrees with you, it sort of devalues your opinion. Anyways. I've already explained that MOST discrimination is prevented under federal law, orientation isn't but it will be soon. Nothing really else to say on the matter of that.

I know who you were responding too, I was trying to give you the hint, that you don't have to argue with everyone that disagrees with you, it sort of devalues your opinion. Anyways. I've already explained that MOST discrimination is prevented under federal law, orientation isn't but it will be soon. Nothing really else to say on the matter of that.
    Then stop saying it. If you say something that is false, don't get mad when someone corrects you.