10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    I havent bought (or pirated) music at all.. unless you think making a playlist on Youtube is pirating.
    do you own original copies of the music you listen to on youtube? all of it? have you watched videos on youtube? were all allowed by copyright holders for your region? were any later removed?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DanskenV View Post
    The problem is not just "shutting down Nostalrius"
    Its about shutting down Nostalrius without proposing a high demand alternative. Retail is awful because of no player interaction, you sit in your garrison all day and when you get in a dungeon noone says a word. To this day Blizzard is still in delusion, denying any audience for Good WoW.
    Define high demand...

Nostalrius had 800000 accounts. They mentioned 150000 players, but you only had to login once every 10 days to be active, so the real active players should be a lot lower than that. My girlfriend had a character on the server and played once. Is she active? Of course not, but probably on those 150k.

Even so, there were normally around 8k players (12-15k on peaks) on the PVP server and 2-3k on the PVE server.

LOTS of those players are new players that are leveling (the leveling zones are completely crowded), which means that many players don't even reach the level 60, which means that retainability is pretty low (thats why you need almost a million accounts to have 8k players online).

Now, try to figure how many of those are only playing because it was free... Lets be conservative and say that 40% play because it was free, meaning that 60% would pay for a server. (i think it would the other way around, but lets think that people would pay)

That means that we would get 6k players that would pay and always be online... Fine, that would give 2 blizzard servers. Thats hardly high demand.

Now, what would happen if the official servers maintain the retainability of Nostalrius? What if players play for 1-2 months and then stop playing because they had their Vanilla fix?
    What would happened in one year when the content was all cleared? Vanilla isn't new, there isn't that sense of discovering we had back then, so things would get very old pretty fast. I was playing on Nostalrius but just as a filler until Legion, and i must say that the problems WoW had back then are truly magnified now that we have so many updates. Simple stuff like freaking far corpse runs, really get old nowadays.

It's not that "high demand" as it seems, and the risks are pretty huge. So i don't see Blizzard to invest loads of time and money with something that is a risk.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Deleted
    I havent bought (or pirated) music at all.. unless you think making a playlist on Youtube is pirating.
    Depends... Do you use Adblock preventing the artists making revenue from your views? If not then no, if so then yes.

Deleted
    Actually what would it cost Blizzard to just add Classic, TBC etc servers? 1 per region? And you could play on them on your regular WoW account as long as youre subbed. They wouldnt even have to buy new servers, just prune some of the low pop existing ones and repurpose them.
    Compared to private ones? Quite a fucking lot. Have new staff trained in old bugs and how to fix them or well, not fix them since it would break the vanilla feeling. Ticket support for issues that aint relevant anymore. Redeveloping the code that doesn't exist anymore either.

I'd say, a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    WoD servers are still up, my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    What blizz did using your dumb alcohol analogy was to ban moonshine. Which is illegal in the real world. Why? Do to its negative effects
    more likely due to a legal structure dating from tax issue. the jake-leg issue is understood and would be so swiftly punished that it would not be much of an issue today.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Actually what would it cost Blizzard to just add Classic, TBC etc servers? 1 per region?
    It has less to do with adding them but maintaining them. Unless you want the server to vanish for good the first time it crashes.

And you could play on them with your regular WoW account as long as youre subbed. They wouldnt even have to buy new servers, just prune some of the low pop existing ones and repurpose them.
    They can't use their new tech to host a game made of very old code just with the flick of a finger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    they would need more than 1 per region. first, pve/pvp. then, I strongly suspect the longer-term demand would be more than 2 servers per region's capacity.

it would be such an effort, it would probably cost another rayd tear
    No, no it wouldnt. If they merged a bunch of low pop servers and installed Vanilla software on them.. plus some very minor changes to the client. Id say it would cost them about as much as making another sparkle pony.

Didn't hear about the server until I saw the Reddit post about it's shut down...
    Well, aparently, they had an amazing community there.
    Blizzard should put that into consideration and rethink what game they want people to play.
    My guess is that alone brought their attention, cause there's several other pritave servers out there that aparently run unnoticed.
    Final point is, Blizzard is not an evil profit hunger company, they own the game, after all...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diinksy View Post
    They joined illegal server. So yeah it does mean nothing to me.
    Covering your eyes with your hands and pretending something doesn't exist, doesn't make it so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzatez View Post
    Define high demand...

Nostalrius had 800000 accounts. They mentioned 150000 players, but you only had to login once every 10 days to be active, so the real active players should be a lot lower than that. My girlfriend had a character on the server and played once. Is she active? Of course not, but probably on those 150k.
    active in last 10 days is an extremely strict measurement. it is MUCH stricter than blizzard uses itself for china.

Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    Come on... Nostalrius had more players than actual MMO games have and they still stay afloat.

Eve online peaks at like 30k users every day and that's been around longer than WoW.
    Err.... 30k a day is more than Nost. Nost had an active playerbase of 150K, that doesn't mean 150k a day.

Actually what would it cost Blizzard to just add Classic, TBC etc servers? 1 per region? And you could play on them with your regular WoW account as long as youre subbed. They wouldnt even have to buy new servers, just prune some of the low pop existing ones and repurpose them.
    I don't know, and neither do you. What I do know however, is that they're not just going to destroy low pop servers (some people like it that way) and "repurpose" them with code that they themselves have said, don't have anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    First of all, recognizing the demand has nothing to do with maturity.
    It does in this case. There is clearly a demand for legacy servers, yet Blizzard are refusing to supply that demand.

The question is: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    Second, they recognize that there's a demand for it, it's just the demand is very small, and not profitable. If you want to tout maturity, maybe you should practice it yourself and not be so melodramatic.
    I keep forgetting that I need to watch my language and be extremely specific when dealing with people such as yourself. Demand usually connotes a significant want or need.

So I suppose we need to play by your rules of verification-ism and actually prove it to you. Even then nothing might not change. That's when we see your true colors.

So 150k extra subs aren't profitable? This was on a non-mainstream private server as well.

You can make the argument that this would be a bad investment compared to something else (which perfectly valid), but someone somewhere is going to supply that demand unless all these people die, or have no spending power.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no it wouldnt. If they merged a bunch of low pop servers and installed Vanilla software on them.. plus some very minor changes to the client. Id say it would cost them about as much as making another sparkle pony.
    no, you aren't on script here. It needs to sound like it would be another alvarez asteroid or a plague of locusts over the developer's area. there just wouldn't be enough resources for more raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They can't use their new tech to host a game made of very old code just with the flick of a finger.
    Those servers are essentially PCs. You can install whatever you want on them, not to mention theyre way more powerful than the original Vanilla servers were.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    WoD servers are still up, my friend.
    Yeah and good thing too, would be weird for Blizzard to knock down a crappy Vanilla server if it wasn't keeping up its own product. Vanilla well and truly sucked on a multitude of levels, I'd never want to redo Desolace as a Feral Night Elf again.

I think you need a sparkle pony in real life, so it can show you magic and miracles are real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I think you need a sparkle pony in real life, so it can show you magic and miracles are real.
    I am gonna sic the power ponies on you!