Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Good. I hope some big news outlet interviews some of these morons so everyone can see how inane their arguments are.
    Either way, it's good that debate is happening, even if everyone piles in and screams at each other, it's the only way that progress can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    1. You are implying that people are going to play the current version of wow instead of playing the legacy servers. The whole point of having a private server is because it ISN'T the current version of WoW. If those players wanted to play the current game they would. Why do you think private servers of the current version of the game aren't popular? I'll let your little genius mind fill in the pieces on that one.

2. My statements I made weren't mutually exclusive, I did indeed say that people who play private don't want to pay the fee. This would take money away from Blizzard IF they ALSO wanted to play the latest version of the game. Which obviously they don't if they are playing on a private server. Again, I'll let you wrap your big old head around this one, I know it might take some time

3. Let's do some math shall we, since you are all about logic and empiricism, Blizzard's Q2 was 1.04 billion USD. Do you think a few million (which isn't substantiated) would affect this number by more than a percent? Not likely.

Again, I'm waiting for you to post your sources and citations about the claims you made earlier. I'll wait.
    1) I'm not implying anything. I am saying that if someone wanted to play, they have options. If the one option wasn't there, Blizzard would make money. How can you deny it? Because you're biased. That's why.

2) You don't know their reasoning why they are playing a private server. You can ONLY say they're playing on it and not paying a fee. Latest version of the game and classic mean nothing if you can't prove why their playing on them. You have to prove what the driving factor of these players are.. Which you can't do.

3) That's not even good math. And you don't know shit about game development let alone what Blizzard does with their funds.

Eh, it's all over twitter, mmoc forums, and wow forums, and several gaming blogs and websites. I'm not saying it's huge but it certainly isn't a small minority. There is an AMA on reddit now too which is gaining traction.
    Loud minority is loud. The funny thing is that forums in which there is a down/up vote function shows that people in favor of private servers are getting down voted like crazy. The silent majority > you it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    1) I'm not implying anything. I am saying that if someone wanted to play, they have options. If the one option wasn't there, Blizzard would make money. How can you deny it? Because you're biased. That's why.

2) You don't know their reasoning why they are playing a private server. You can ONLY say they're playing on it and not paying a fee. Latest version of the game and classic mean nothing if you can't prove why their playing on them. You have to prove what the driving factor of these players are.. Which you can't do.

3) That's not even good math. And you don't know shit about game development let alone what Blizzard does with their funds.

Loud minority is loud. The funny thing is that forums in which there is a down/up vote function shows that people in favor of private servers are getting down voted like crazy. The silent majority > you it seems.
    "You don't know their reasoning why they are playing a private server" and yet you do lol? That was my whole point, still waiting on those sources/citations though brotato.

Either way, it's good that debate is happening, even if everyone piles in and screams at each other, it's the only way that progress can happen.
    What progress? That blizz legacy servers happen? Doesn't sound like progress to me. I would abandon blizz if they caved in to useless whining just because it gained media attention.
    Almost like how intelligent debate is lost on you?

Lets see if you can get to 12k shit posts, god knows MMOChampion needs more one line heroes.
    Our discussion was over. Was it not clear enough from my last post shitface?

I'd love for Blizzard to implement a classic/TBC server. But the way you defend thieves is appalling. I'm on your side with getting legitimate servers for everyone who wants to play classic.

Deleted
    A quick google shows that (predictably) this isn't the first time they shut down a pirate server and not the first time people whined and cried about it for days. POWER OF TEH INTERWEBS indeed.

"You don't know their reasoning why they are playing a private server" and yet you do lol? That was my whole point, still waiting on those sources/citations though brotato.
    I NEVER claimed I know their reasoning. You just can't read, and your critical thinking skills is terrible.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    What progress? That blizz legacy servers happen? Doesn't sound like progress to me. I would abandon blizz if they caved in to useless whining just because it gained media attention.
    Well let's think about it logically. If they are losing money over private servers (theoretically) then this event may change their mind to opening legacy servers. Again, I don't care either way, I'm pretty much done with WoW, so I have no strong stance either way.

Private servers have shown that the old world was still relevant, why would Blizzard not capitalize on this?

- - - Updated - - -

I NEVER claimed I know their reasoning. You just can't read, and your critical thinking skills is terrible.
    "you can't prove people playing the private servers are paying subscribers to Blizzards game."
    "They're hurting the profit of the game developers. Which hurts everyone playing the game. Because that's less funding to produce content."
    "If the private server didn't exist, they'd be playing live or not at all. But, that still proves that they're losing profit."

Did you forget what you even typed

Go ahead and start proving your assertions Mr. Critical Thinking.

Well let's think about it logically.
    Whoa there buddy. Let's not delve into skill sets that aren't available to you!

If they are losing money over private servers (theoretically) then this event may change their mind to opening legacy servers.
    That's not how businesses work. There's a risk to doing any action like this. The lose of funds would be really high if they decided to do that and no one played.

Private servers have shown that the old world was still relevant, why would Blizzard not capitalize on this?
    To a tiny, TINY minority.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'd love for Blizzard to implement a classic/TBC server. But the way you defend thieves is appalling. I'm on your side with getting legitimate servers for everyone who wants to play classic.
    never defended them once, even stated a few times in this thread that it is indeed illegal. But you can't read

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa there buddy. Let's not delve into skill sets that aren't available to you!

That's not how businesses work. There's a risk to doing any action like this. The lose of funds would be really high if they decided to do that and no one played.

To a tiny, TINY minority.
    Again, you need to prove your assertions, not just spout off blanket statements.

Do you just write a paper and not prove any of your sources lol.

Well let's think about it logically. If they are losing money over private servers (theoretically) then this event may change their mind to opening legacy servers.
    That's not logically, that's a complete what if. You don't know, I don't know. I trust a multi billion dollar company to handle their finances over random people.
    Maybe they have concluded it's not enough profit (or any)? Why is this such a diffucult concept to take into consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I don't want my code out there, period.
    It's not their code. Private servers aren't using Blizzard's code, they're built from scratch to provide the same experience but with a completely homemade code.
    Blizz did all the work of creating the code, creating the Warcraft universe all the marketing and such needed and yet, a group of people have decided that Blizzard shouldn't have control over that product, because they want to play Vanilla.

Many are calling Blizzard greedy bastards, But why are the people who decide they don't care what the creator of the software wants, they only care about what they want, are equally and maybe even more so greedy bastards. Why are they not consider children stomping their feet throwing a tantrum because they were told "no"
    If it was a single author wanting to remove his book from the bookstore, I could understand the point, as creation is something personal and maybe there was something in very relevant to the author's own personality and he didn't wanted it out - though I would still continue to read the one book I bought long ago.
    But it's a fucking commercial product made to be sold and of which another version is still being sold. Their refusal as such is groundless and the moral compunction to refrain from making a private server is nonexistent.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    That's not logically, that's a complete what if. You don't know, I don't know. I trust a multi billion dollar company to handle their finances over random people.

Maybe they have concluded it's not enough profit (or any)? Why is this such a diffucult concept to take into consideration?
    Hence why it says "theoretically" in large parenthesis. If they were losing money they go after these servers. If they aren't they wouldn't do anything. That is by YOUR and Urasim's logic as posted two pages ago.

If they were losing money they go after these servers. If they aren't they wouldn't do anything.
    This crap again. Or maybe, just maybe they go after them purely to protect their legal interests? This isn't rocket science.

Let me be clear, I'm really not disagreeing with you and you present your argument in a logical and fair way. I understand the properties of intellectual rights. My whole argument was that it wasn't necessary to do what they did. Some disagree with me some agree, that's all.
    Glad we can have a civil discussion about it.

I do agree with the thought that maybe there was another way to make both sides happy. Though I imagine Blizzard would be put in a tough spot. Today it's a free server, tomorrow they need donations, next week, donations get you "something", next month, "no donations, no play" How much worse would it be if people had invested even more into the game with "donations" and then Blizzard says "Sorry you crossed the line and we're shutting you down"

And while I have no interest in it myself, It would be nice if Blizzard offered out 1 or 2 Legacy vanilla servers. It does seem that there is a respectable amount of interest. Maybe require people have a level 100 before they can start a legacy account.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It's not their code. Private servers aren't using Blizzard's code, they're built from scratch to provide the same experience but with a completely homemade code.
    I never heard that it was a complete re-write. But good for them.
    Of course, you know how IP works, It's not purely the code, they own all the characters as well. So even if they did write the Vanilla server code from the ground up, they don't have the right to use the characters. Just like I can't make a Harry Potter game without getting a license and such from the owner(s) of the IP
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-04-08 at 03:11 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    This crap again. Or maybe, just maybe they go after them purely to protect their legal interests? This isn't rocket science.
    Doubtful, that's very costly to do, especially with multiple lawyers, even if they are on retainer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Glad we can have a civil discussion about it.

I do agree with the thought that maybe there was another way to make both sides happy. Though I imagine Blizzard would be put in a tough spot. Today it's a free server, tomorrow they need donations, next week, donations get you "something", next month, "no donations, no play" How much worse would it be if people had invested even more into the game with "donations" and then Blizzard says "Sorry you crossed the line and we're shutting you down"

And while I have no interest in it myself, It would be nice if Blizzard offered out 1 or 2 Legacy vanilla servers. It does seem that there is a respectable amount of interest. Maybe require people have a level 100 before they can start a legacy account.
    What baffled me, is why Blizzard just didn't take control of these servers in an offshoot of their main business or implemented their own servers like you mentioned.

Doubtful, that's very costly to do, especially with multiple lawyers, even if they are on retainer.
    Erm? Nost forfeited after a mere notice. You might have a point on private servers that are in countries Blizz can't legally touch, but Nost wasn't one of them. They crapped their pants at the mere thought they might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    It's like me going to Walmart and shoplifting, getting caught and getting angry and boycotting Walmart. It's fucking ridiculous and we're all on the outside watching this train wreck and laughing at you people.
    It's more like you going to a Walmart knock off called Malwart because you prefer it, then being told you cant shop there because Walmart said so, because ulitmately, Walmart is Malwart.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Erm? Nost forfeited after a mere notice. You might have a point on private servers that are in countries Blizz can't legally touch, but Nost wasn't one of them. They crapped their pants at the mere thought they might be in trouble.
    Which makes me believe that they weren't making enough money to challenge the notice. Eh, who knows either way.

Deleted
    No why should they? they were completely in the right and any statement they put out will be jumped on by the haters anyway.