Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanda View Post
    Pretty much all of them.
    The embodiment of naïveté, right there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Whut? I'm pretty sure anyone remotely interested in any of them is already very much aware. I just mentioned it so you could edit them out so you wouldn't get infracted and banned and not be able to take part in the discussion, it's totally your call Mods have said its a bannable offense so don't tihnk it will be just 5 points. I'm not suggesting you have to care about that at all
    Sorry for my misguided outburst on you.
    I wanted to make a point that fighting private servers is pointless.
    It's like trying to criminilize wind for carrying farts in your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    There are hundred page threads everywhere regarding why piracy isn't theft, no matter how much the content distributors try to paint it as such. One deprives the owning party of the capacity to use or sell the item in question, the other creates a copy without affecting the initial product. It's not a winning argument.
    You are free to hold onto your opinion of course, but the law and society disagrees. Mental property, copyrights, patents... you sound like some preteen who got busted downloading something from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alihu View Post
    Maybe im being ignorant, but do people really want vanilla back this badly?
    Many do, yeah (many don't).

But more precisely, they want VANILLA DESIGN back. If retail had what I liked in retail, I wouldn't play on pservers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    How old are you? 12? Welcome to the real world where you don't always get what you want.
    I was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    You are free to hold onto your opinion of course, but the law and society disagrees. Mental property, copyrights, patents... you sound like some preteen who got busted downloading something from the internet.
    When you are charged with unlawful breach of copyright, you aren't charged with theft. They are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Either the Vanilla fan are a vocal tiny minority and Blizzard is right in ignoring the pleas for legacy servers (in which case where the fuck is the "lost revenue" ?), or they are numerous enough to actually bring in enough money (in which case what is the argument against legacy servers ?). How you guys manage to hold two contradicting lines of reasoning at the same time only out of dedication to be contrarian is pretty breathtaking. In a bad way.
    To Blizzard I think it ultimately doesn't matter, they don't want to do it. Wether it's denial or stubborness they will always believe that the game is evolving into something better.

It's never black or white. Little things we take for granted like sparkling quest items that are easier to distinguish have made the game so much better while other things like massive power creep have made it worse (from my perspective).

At the end of the day it comes down to which version gives you the most enjoyment, which one feels more rewarding and which one has the longevity.
    On all these counts WOD will lose to every other iteration of the game for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Holy naiveity batman!
    I know sarcasm is hard to read, but it was sarcasm. Welcome back to the conversation, though. Missed you lastnight.

Many do, yeah (many don't).

But more precisely, they want VANILLA DESIGN back. If retail had what I liked in retail, I wouldn't play on pservers.
    I hate WoD with a passion but I would sit in my garrison everyday all day over vanilla design.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    I always enjoyed the levelling part most, which has become a drag in current WoW. I hate doing the new Azeroth. I hate one-shotting every mob and just running through everything. I don't want to gimp myself either.

I never got much into max-level stuff, except doing the heroic raids in Pandaria. It feels more action packed and just executing than playing with a good feeling and going forward to me. I never got much sense of achievement from heroic raids, since it never really changed. My thought process never changed. Throne of Thunder I did enjoy, since there were so many gimmicks. SoO just felt more of usual raiding/dungeons so I burned out fast.
    Vanilla does have simpler bosses and mechanics, but I don't find the retail ones hard at all either, just different amount of buttons to rotate.

Community I can't really say, but I liked the old WoW. There were more stories happening. MoP it was basically our guild and 1-2 other people. There was nothing else memorable.
    I have memorable moments from all of my 10 years in WoW. I miss the pre-Cata world where my wife & I leveled and grew our mains, the friends we made over the years, vowed as we were leveling through Ashenvale that we would come back after we hit 60 and defend Astranaar from a shaman (when only the Horde had them) that would attack it every other day (and boy did we get him...).

But, I prefer more accessibility, not less. I prefer a game where I can complete story content with my wife & daughter (both far under my skill level) without fear of them being ridiculed or berated enough that the break into tears (which happened to my wife in TBC, it's why she hates raid leaders now). I'd prefer all of their resources go into continuing the direction of the game that lets us play together, rather then diverting resources into something that would be a waste of my time. Other people liking it doesn't matter to me. If Blizzard doing it is going to negatively impact the development of what I like in any way, I am PASSIONATELY against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I don't really understand how anyone can come to the logical conclusion that Blizzard would suddenly decide to take action against a specific private server unless it was becoming financially intelligent to do so. Continuing on from that, if it is financially damaging to have competition, then it can only logically be financially beneficial to create the service yourself.

I played on a private server for a bit, Vanilla is as shithouse as I remember it. However, the demand is clearly there, even if it is niche. People run private WoW servers with a small handful of people (or less); there is no rational argument that can be made that it wouldn't be financially profitable to run a vanilla server even if only 15k subscribed to it at rates similar to official servers. It is really confusing; it's like a money tap that just isn't being turned on as far as I can see. The fact that it is only a fraction of what the company makes in total is neither here nor there; money is money.

There are hundred page threads everywhere regarding why piracy isn't theft, no matter how much the content distributors try to paint it as such. One deprives the owning party of the capacity to use or sell the item in question, the other creates a copy without affecting the initial product. It's not a winning argument.
    So you're saying that it's ok to take something that isn't yours as long as the original owner isn't using it and you make said product available to others...while asking for, or expecting a pittance of course?

Excuse me while I go "borrow" my neighbour's PS4 since he doesn't play it since he got his Xbox one.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    They will have less players every time Blizzard shuts them down though.
    Losing your progress over and over again will get tiresome eventually.
    I think you are wrong.
    I know not of any Vanilla server that was anywhere close to Nostralius size.
    If anything it feels like it keeps on growing and growing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankerCee View Post
    Does it bug anyone else that the title of this thread says Nostralius? I want to edit it so bad!
    Nobody in this thread knew about Nostalrius, so they don't know if it is misspelled. They do know, however, that their quality of life was being ruined because the private server existed.

It's sad people continue to discuss validity of two things:

1) realistic chance of legacy servers with a sub being financially viable
    2) the quality of Vanilla itself as a stand alone game.

These are irrelevant. This is a civil rights issue, and the game from 2004 I paid for should be available to me and my friends who desire to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No, I read your entire post, and what you said actually agrees with what I've been claiming, though I know it wasn't your original intention. Understand this: if people claim something is in 'high demand' and is 'enjoyable', then its retention rate would not be as low as Nostalrius' retention rate is.
    I disagree. The easiness with which you can make an account means that a lot of accounts "don't count". The fact it's a private server with bugs and which was vastly overcrowded also lower considerably the retention that an official, Blizzard-supported server would have.
    Actually, it's the other way around. Something free should have a higher retention rate than something with a paid subscription fee, as it wouldn't be competing with the rest of the players' monthly expenses.
    False. Something not free requires a much bigger investment to begin with. And once you're invested in something you tend to stick around more. Something free has a lower ACCESS rate, but a lower RETENTION rate as well.

Wrong.

Laughable, you're not even trying to be credible here.

Debatable.

It was already the case before, the standards were just higher.

There is actually a MUCH more stringent gating through gear than there ever was in Vanilla. Much, much worse (amusingly, the "raid leader's arbitrary number to be allowed to enter" only started to appear when WoW turned casual in WotLK, through the infamous "GearScore" ; until then, in TBC, raid leaders were more interested in if you knew how to play and how to gear yourself than the amount of epics you had ; basically you try to shoot down Vanilla compared to the new design, but you end up doing the opposite).

The "elitism" from this time is mostly an invention on the forums coming from people who never experienced it. Vanilla was a discovery for everyone, and though there WAS elitism, it was actually lower than the one I noticed in WoD (and usually it was more justified, unlike the 5-man heroes who look down on you because you have the *gasp* APPROPRIATE GEAR for the instance instead of being three tiers above).
    No, Classic & TBC were good in the day because we didn't know better, and there wasn't anything better out there. Now there is, and Classic & TBC can go DIAF.
    You don't know any better today, obviously, considering the amount of false facts in your post.
    I've played for 10 years. Everything I said was true from my point of view. Your point of view is different, oh well. Doesn't make it any more credible than what I posted. TBC/Classic were popular at the time because it followed the very popular Warcraft lore, and because there was nothing more casual out at the time. WoW was the "Casual player's MMO". It is what it is. You must have been one of the people that was getting their boots licked if you're defending it so brazenly.
    Last edited by Namalia; 2016-04-09 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Actually the law and society agree. Copyright violation and theft are very different under the law. Educate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    So you're saying that it's ok to take something that isn't yours as long as the original owner isn't using it and you make said product available to others...while asking for, or expecting a pittance of course?

Excuse me while I go "borrow" my neighbour's PS4 since he doesn't play it since he got his Xbox one.
    If you steal your neighbours PS4, he no longer has his PS4. He can't use it, or sell it. Its value has been removed from his possession into yours.

If you go and copy your neighbours poetry book, he still has his poetry book. He can read it, he can sell it, he can burn it. You also have a copy of it, but your copy does not affect his copy (except that you and only you are no longer likely to buy it and can theoretically make more copies and sell those).

Stealing and copying are entirely different processes with entirely different outcomes. You can be as empassioned as you like, it doesn't matter. Without the displacement of the original product, it isn't theft.

I didn't say it was legal, moral, or any other thing. I just said that it isn't theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    The game is better, the community is better, the QoL features are better, and every player can see all of the content/story if they meet Blizzard's standards, not some raid leader's arbitrary numbers. Nost's community(though I never played there) would be filled with the same sort of elitism that existed in Classic, which is what those players would have missed from back in the day, being on a high horse.

No, Classic & TBC were good in the day because we didn't know better, and there wasn't anything better out there. Now there is, and Classic & TBC can go DIAF.
    Well thats personal preference.

For me, everything was better up until Cataclysm.
    The story, the gameplay, the content we had. Id rather have (personal preference) Dungeons, Heroic Dungeons, Raids and PvP
    then 10 types of dungeons (mythic, challenge, timewalker etc), 4 types of raiddifficulty, pet battles, facebook garrison etc.

For me it feels that back in the day there was always things to do, I myself never grow bored.
    Today there might be more content in terms of quantity, but for me it feels like that the quality of
    the content has suffered, so you pick out the "good quality" content, which is far less then back
    in WotLK for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Was funny reporting every Nos player on Twitch to Blizzard. Sending them Sodapoppin VODs with timestamps when he was talking about it.

Glad to see it was worthwhile.
    Do you enjoy having your tongue that firmly up Blizzards asshole? Like seriously, what element of your mind actually bothered you so much that you went out of your way to prevent others from having fun?