Deleted
    Are you just going to drop that topic of discussion without adressing what i said?

Let me reiterate ~ 600 page thread, blizzards facebook page covered in messages, front page of reddit, one of largest twitch streamers tweeting about it, a 2mil subbed yotubed releasing a video on it, 60,000 signature petition, 150,000 active accounts.

Lets add some more, articles on ars technica, gamespot, kotaku, polygon, ibtimes and more, consistent threads even on the heavily moderated official forums, yesterday atleast every large twitch streamer was discussing the topic one way or another, top streamer for a short while's title was "#youthinkyoudobutyoudont", the ama on reddit with over 2000 comments.

If you take any one of those things in isolation (ie in a world where ony one of those statements was true) yes i think you could formulate an argument that this topic isnt relavant, or that the desire for vanilla servers isnt relevant.

But i dont see how anyone can not see the logical fallacy in only choosing to acknowledge some of those statements and ignoring the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    No like really. There are plenty of things that a hobby project run on voluntary basis doesn't not need to worry about.
    Handling credit card information is one of those. It's governed by PCI-DSS standard. You have to comply to that as soon as you start storing CC info. Which Blizzard does.

That's just one example. There are so many more.
    Volunteer project and commercial enterprise are not comparable at all, even though the end products might look the same, you're forgetting the scaffolding around it.
    Who on earth asked you for your credit card on a private server, and why did you gave it to them? Nostalrius was FREE. period. No subs, no donations, no adds. That's all.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Must be why the old Vanilla pservers still have players six years after their creation, and Nost had a constantly growing pop...

It's really ridiculous how the anti-Vanilla crowd is adamant they know what people think better than the persons themselves...
    "constantly growing pop" 800k accounts made with only 150k playing with only 12-13k daily is not really a growing population.

I'm not anti-Vanilla. I'm Anti-idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    You know what, fine don't include vanilla servers, screw them.

Stop making the game being infant-friendly though. Bring the MMO-RPG feeling back.
    They are doing it little by little. Professions in Legion have more questing and gameplay, than WoD had in its content patches :3

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Atleast there is content. Lol. And are you omnipotent or something? How do you know what people want?
    Because from the people that bitch and moan about there being no content now, imagine their surprise when there is 95% less in vanilla.

Deleted
    Stop making the game being infant-friendly though. Bring the MMO-RPG feeling back.
    Count me in :-) I guess that is why an oldschool-like grinder game such as Black Desert is so loved now. You really have to work for your levels, your money, you professions, your upgrades. Besides having a far superios gfx engine and models.
    I don't know where Legion will lead to. It might be the WOW Ressurection or the bullets that finally ends it.

Who on earth asked you for your credit card on a private server, and why did you gave it to them? Nostalrius was FREE. period. No subs, no donations, no adds. That's all.
    They did have donations, for a brief time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    Maybe not online but I can guarantee they are going to whine and moan when they open that letter and receive a fine.
    And that's okay, but in the real world right now those drivers are pounding on the doors so they won't have to pay the fine and up the speed limit while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    Yes it is under copyright.

All Nos players were doing were singing happy birthday in their secluded game. Uploaded the video to youtube, it got some views, Youtube made some money off of it. Happy Birthday Copyright police showed up and said hey youtube thats our fucking song, take it down and let's go repossess that child's birthday because of damages. "No one's having a fun time at our expense!!".

Legally right? Sure, of course, it's their song.

Morally right? Fkin yeah right.
    You must be pyingpyongpang

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    "constantly growing pop" 800k accounts made with only 150k playing with only 12-13k daily is not really a growing population.

Do you know what growing means? The active and concurrent players were constantly increasing. How would you even say 150k of 800k is little? To me it sounds a lot. Personally I have 600 games in Steam and I've played maybe 40 of them.

Deleted
    To be fair you have misunderstood him. He is saying the private server running for free as a hobby project doesn not need to meet any data security requirements regarding things such as credit card information.

If blizzard were to do what nostalrius was doing blizzard would have to meet those standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleft01 View Post
    Are you just going to drop that topic of discussion without adressing what i said?

Let me reiterate ~ 600 page thread, blizzards facebook page covered in messages, front page of reddit, one of largest twitch streamers tweeting about it, a 2mil subbed yotubed releasing a video on it, 60,000 signature petition, 150,000 active accounts.

Lets add some more, articles on ars technica, gamespot, kotaku, polygon, ibtimes and more, consistent threads even on the heavily moderated official forums, yesterday atleast every large twitch streamer was discussing the topic one way or another, top streamer for a short while's title was "#youthinkyoudobutyoudont", the ama on reddit with over 2000 comments.

If you take any one of those things in isolation (ie in a world where ony one of those statements was true) yes i think you could formulate an argument that this topic isnt relavant, or that the desire for vanilla servers isnt relevant.

But i dont see how anyone can not see the logical fallacy in only choosing to acknowledge some of those statements and ignoring the rest.
    It might be a lot for a PS, but it's not enough for business to be successful. You guys judge this whole thing, i.e. quality of content, quantity of players and etc, by PS standards, blizz judge by business standards.

Deleted
    This whole situation reminds me of a time back in 2011; Cataclysm was a piece of shit, evidently, so I joined a private server called Echeloned. It was really fun though, because no other server like it had existed previously; I'm not sure if any have come that have followed up on what Echeloned did.

Anyhow, that server was special as fuck; it wasn't a standard Blizzlike, but the community was vibrant; the server had special code that let players spawn their own phases and create player housing (this was in 2011, even); they could spawn their own objects and doodads, make their own houses. There'd be events with jumping puzzles and all sorts of crazy shit. It was wholly entertaining.

It was a pretty rare case back then, but Echeloned, at some point, were the first server to actually run Cataclysm-based content. Somebody managed to create their own patches with Cata's data that was compatible with 3.3.5, and actually spawn instances with Cata's stuff on it, like Gilneas etc.

Anyhow, super fun, but a month or so after Echeloned cracked into 4.0 data, Blizzard sent them a Cease & Desist, they immediately shut down. Those guys actually -were- profiting off of it, so they deserved what they got. Either way, though, it was more fun than retail Cataclysm for anybody with a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    When you have 6k concurrent players at one time and 13k concurrent players one year later, I call that constantly growing. But maybe I'm wrong, and when pop decreases you have more people online, what do I know.
    Self-loathing is such an ugly thing :-/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    It might be a lot for a PS, but it's not enough for business to be successful. You guys judge this whole thing, i.e. quality of content, quantity of players and etc, by PS standards, blizz judge by business standards.
    Thats not what i was adressing directly.

There was a poster who was replying to me, but has since stopped (still posting in thread though), whoe claimed the whole topic was irrelevant, and hadnt been for a decade, and as a result everyone should just stop talking about it.

I was disagreeing with THAT sentiment, and that was my evidence to suggest that yes, this topic is clearly relevant to many thousands of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Baseless argument. Same as arguing that an ISP can be held liable for facilitating torrents. The host has the defense of having no intent against Blizzard; nor any liability; that rests with Nost. alone.

Blizzard has no intent to protect their IP. Case in point, Warlords of Draenor. They lost 5 million subscribers to that shit in 6 months; and you think they're worried about DEFENDING themselves from a server with 150k players, who were ALREADY DISENFRANCHISED to begin with?
    No intent to protect their IP. Sends a cease and desist and shuts down a PS thus protecting their IP. Hmm I know 1+1 = 2...but somehow you got 7 as the answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleft01 View Post

It could be in all of th einternet for all I care. That wouldn't change the fact that out of those 800k created accounts (for free) only 150k stayed. And most of those never got over level 20 anyway. So no. It is not relevant. Sure some might enjoy it more than live WoW. They lost their fun. There will be thousands of other Vanilla servers. But 150k active players most not even level 60 is not relevant, or won't be in about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    They did not receive any of that respect
    So why did you keep playing retail for years? Didn't enjoy a single moment of it?

Zolascius it appears you're still here after avoiding that for the first time. Care to answer it? Is it too embarrassing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    And would those drivers cry on dozens of different forums if they had to pay a fine for going over the speed limit?

Singing Happy Birthday is not the same as singing Happy Birthday at parties for money. (And BTW is Happy Birthday copyrighted?)
    Happy Birthday was copyrighted for a while but now is considered Public Domain after a case I think last year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    You must be pyingpyongpang
    I have literally no idea what you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Embodier View Post
    Well, either as a society we accept these laws and copyrights and TOS or we dont. You cant just create a law-hole based on the profits someone or a business made.
    As a multi-billion dollars company which purposedly refuses to provide a service, you can turn a blind eye when someone does at no cost to you, though.

(also the copyrights laws we have are just insanely slanted toward monetization instead of actually protecting creativity, but that's a whole different can of worms)