Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It was tricky, but not that hard.
    The hard part was to not finish the guy when you missed the kick. We managed to do it without even using add-on, though we had to start over quite a bit of time. Still gimmicky and I would trade any of those achiev for a real "5-man tier" like in TBC, where you actually went in HC with a bit of sweat dripping in your neck from the "will we manage to do it ?".
    (ofc I'm talking early TBC, late TBC you were pretty guaranteed to finish the instance)
    I think pretty much everyone agrees with you. We're having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    We all pirated music and movies i guess but we dont throw a tantrum @ sony/time warner when we get caught
    Speak for yourself.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    That one cast bar that seemed to be faster than my latency. We figured we would literally have to be psychic to hit it.
    Yeeeep. That was actually one of the reasons I gave up on private servers and went to Retail way back in the day. My latency was generally 250 ms on retail, but closer to 500-600 on private. There was just no way I could get any kind of interrupts going outside of Retail, and trying to get a proper caster rotation going without trying to clip through my own castbars was a pain in the ass.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

I think pretty much everyone agrees with you. We're having fun.
    Fun when talking about TBC heroics?

I trigger PTSD thinking about tanking Shattered Halls Heroic to this very day.

Speak for yourself! XD

(P.S. I'd still do it again)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Well, that, and a multi-million dollar lawsuit pending from Blizzard, if the posts yesterday that they'd recieved word they were being sued are true.

In that light, I could see them saying "fuck it" and doing it, because any hopes they had of working in the game industry or in any company working on sensitive data, like banking, will go right out the window when they're named in a lawsuit. Doesn't make it right, but I understand the mindset, have seen it before in different contexts.
    I don't doubt it helps them feel better if anything, but still isn't really the right thing to do.

I would hope that Blizzard isn't genuinely hitting them for that much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyxanna View Post
    It is indefensible that someone would take someone else's years of work and promote it as something like their own and claim noble intentions. They are software pirates; they knew exactly what they were doing and their incessant playing of the victim card since being getting the C&D is embarrassing to watch. Never mind that these fuckers are talking about releasing their source. Apparently so other software pirates can pretend to be noble too. Their behavior since all of this came up actually has me hoping the Blizzard will drag them into court for punitive damages.
    They didn't promote it as if it was their own. They flat out said they only wanted to do it so people could re-experience the game they love.

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Fun when talking about TBC heroics?

I trigger PTSD thinking about tanking Shattered Halls Heroic to this very day.

Speak for yourself! XD

(P.S. I'd still do it again)
    I think I only ever did Shattered halls heroic once. I came back to TBC at a weird time. My friends were pretty close to farm in kara when I activated after quitting when my guild broke up in nilla.

Why close a server run by a volunteer team doing something you DON'T want to do? Blizzard has said they don't want to do legacy servers. They just don't. It has been said time and time again. If you don't want to fucking do it, why stop other people from doing it?

What a gigantic dick move. Unless of course they are about to announce legacy servers, which they are most likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Pretty sure he isn't talking about the shutting down of the server. That discussion was left a while ago.
    I wasn't talking about just that, either - they won't mention this at all. If they were going to, it would have been posted Friday, or today. There's no reason to make a statement about this. The only time they've ever posted anything about things like this is when they do ban waves, and that's because it directly effects the players of the live, legal game.

There is no practical reason to make a statement, other than to start a wildfire on their own forums. Considering they're barely letting any discussion happen about it, I doubt any official statements are coming. A dev or Lore might comment on Twitter, but I think even that is unlikely. I would have no doubt a memo went out from the CEO's office that no public statements regarding this are to be made, and no press spoken to.

Does anyone know when they will release the source codes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Why close a server run by a volunteer team doing something you DON'T want to do? Blizzard has said they don't want to do legacy servers. They just don't. It has been said time and time again. If you don't want to fucking do it, why stop other people from doing it?

What a gigantic dick move. Unless of course they are about to announce legacy servers, which they are most likely not.
    God damnit why am I still in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    i watched videos and cartoons on youtube, am I a vile criminal too?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    Does anyone know when they will release the source codes?
    The day before they get locked in jail.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    They don't owe you or anyone else an official statement, as it's between them, the people who ran the server, and the hosting company. Generally lawyers don't want their clients talking about pending lawsuits, as it could harm their case.

I would be surprised if there's any mention of this at all until the lawsuit is concluded. The media may announce the lawsuit, if it's filed, but generally, companies don't announce when they're suing people.

Besides, what needs to be said? They have every legal right to defend their IP, and they've never announced in the past when they've sued over them, be it bot companies, or other illegal servers. Do you really think they need to say 'Our position is still "No" to vanilla servers? Or are you really grasping at straws hoping for them to announce support for them?
    Nostalrius basically had to be shut down. It couldn't be allowed, I realized that was the only reasonable outcome once it reached such epic proportions even though I did think that it would take them slightly longer to do it. RIP my close to BiS priest.

And no they don't owe us an explanation. But at this point I think it is in their best interest to not be absolutely silent and just linking to their previous statements. Especially since many of them don't apply very well in a post-Nost world. After all there are a ton of potential customers that they have now pissed of to a varying degree here. A comment on the matter doesn't have to be presented today though. When people are still as angry as many are, it would seem prudent to let us chill down a bit (a lot) first.
    Last edited by Jeniwyn; 2016-04-11 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post
    Nostalrius basically had to be shut down. It couldn't be allowed, I realized that was the only reasonable outcome once it reached such epic proportions even though I did think that it would take them slightly longer to do it. RIP my close to BiS priest.

And no they don't owe us an explanation. But at this point I think it is in their best interest to not be absolutely silent and just linking to their previous statements. Especially since many of them don't apply very well in a post-Nost world. After all there are a ton of potential customers that they have now pissed of to a varying degree here. That doesn't have to be today though. When people are still as angry as many are, it would seem prudent to let us chill down a bit (a lot) first.
    Regardless of what blizzard would say, people would find a way to turn it out of context and against them.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2016-04-11 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post

And no they don't owe us an explanation. But at this point I think it is in their best interest to not be absolutely silent and just linking to their previous statements. Especially since many of them don't apply very well in a post-Nost world. After all there are a ton of potential customers that they have now pissed of to a varying degree here. That doesn't have to be today though. When people are still as angry as many are, it would seem prudent to let us chill down a bit (a lot) first.
    i have read that once nost. openly solicited donations for server maintenance costs they dramatically altered a/b's ability to go after them. As I understand it, the c&d came just days after they asked for hardware cost donations (or some new cost)?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Because someone else was making profit of Blizzards IP -> the hoster.
    Now if the nost crew had hosted the thing itself in a cave in the mountains who knows how that would have ended.....

Because its fun to read while eating a bowl of popcorn. lol people never stop to amaze me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Given the amount of players currently on live retail, I'm sure they can spare a few dozen server blades :')

The cost comes in the form of them having to re-engineer their serverside code, not simply hosting the server. And the former is only an issue because they purportedly refused to back up their code in the first place.
    Oh I'm sure they have all the code from day 1. Source control is easy to do. The problem is all the revisions that have changed from both client and server builds at that time. None of it could just be plugged into battle.net and work now so they'd have to put a new authentication system live as well.

Then the issue of all the classes. In Nost you could see classes/specs that were either from BC or LK already in the game. So it wasn't a vanilla or classic server at all.

So now you have the LK client playing on a vanilla server. GOOD TIMES! It only works for Nost because they don't have the original server code. It definitely won't work for WoW out of the box. So more engineering hours. I would bet it would be a 2+ year project to make this all work together.

The last thing I will say is when Everquest did their progressive servers it was a neat concept. This was like 4 expansions in. They were fresh servers that started from scratch. There was an order where zones, dungeons, bosses unlocked and it was server wide. So you worked as a group to move your server along. Unfortunately once it was unlocked it was over.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Too much sense for you darling? Truth is Blizzard is resentful people don't like the current game too much, so it hurts oh so much when they prefer to go to a previous build as opposed to play the grotesquely bad game we have right now. Subs are literally so bad, but so bad, they decided to stop showing sub numbers to the public, but of course you already knew that, you just chose to ignore it.