Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I've seen all kinds of attempts at humor jokes written or said. I guess you can take it one of two ways. The guy was just making a joke or he was insulting you. I tend to find the humor in things, so I would have giggled at the joke.
    I mean, it's like... I don't disagree, that if you make a joke that unintentionally offends somebody an apology is in order.

But that's not how this situation played out.

Rather than be adultlike, and calmly confront the barista, and say "hey, you know.. I know you thought this was funny, but my sisters have diabetes, so this kind of hits home and this hurts." and give then barista an opportunity to apologize the guy said nothing. and then he went home, and then shitposted all over facebook about it, likely in the hopes of milking starbucks for free shit.

I'm sorry. But that's crying to mommy. And crying to mommy instead of being the bigger person instantly loses my respect for somebody. This guy doesn't have my respect, he doesn't deserve my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Well, everyone is hyper-sensitive in this day and age, and while complaining is one thing, demanding repercussions or apologies for something like writing on a cup is a bit silly. Honestly I don't see why people always have to be so dang sensitive about everything. Why get upset at things? Especially things that don't really matter, like mere words? What good does it do for anyone?
    I see it as a degree of tolerance by people willing to put up with stuff. A break down of civility and common manners where everyone is trying to be a special snowflake and society has to accommodate everyone's personality.

You say they are mere words, well if the customer had been a black woman and the coffee guy wrote "This has a lot of sugar in it so don't give it to any of your numerous children by different fathers" on the cup, I can't believe you would still have the same feelings, but like you said it is mere words.

It's not being overly sensitive to take offense to someone unnecessarily writing on your property that you are most likely going to get diabetes from consuming the item, when you have family members and friends dealing with or dying from diabetes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The barista's powers of perception are stunning, I mean diagnosing a family history of diabetes from just a brief encounter with a customer! Screw being fired, he should be hired by a fancy ass hospital.

I think the barrista spent too much time on Fat People Hate. he deserves to be in the unemployment line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Who cares? Yes, it's terrible customer service, but of course the guy has to throw a hissy fit and post about it on social media rather than just rolling his eyes and going about his day. It's not like the coffee-maker spit in it or anything. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I mean, it's like... I don't disagree, that if you make a joke that unintentionally offends somebody an apology is in order.

But that's not how this situation played out.

Rather than be adultlike, and calmly confront the barista, and say "hey, you know.. I know you thought this was funny, but my sisters have diabetes, so this kind of hits home and this hurts." and give then barista an opportunity to apologize the guy said nothing. and then he went home, and then shitposted all over facebook about it, likely in the hopes of milking starbucks for free shit.

I'm sorry. But that's crying to mommy. And crying to mommy instead of being the bigger person instantly loses my respect for somebody. This guy doesn't have my respect, he doesn't deserve my respect.
    He probably didn't see what was wrote till after he left.

He posted one comment and the picture of the beverage with the words on it to his facebook page, which then was picked up by news outlets and Starbucks.

Please link where he "shitposted all over facebook about it", or where he has any intention of "milking starbucks for free shit".

People usually share their day to day trivialities of life on facebook to their friends. How is this different than anything else that people post onfacebook?

You seem to be back tracking now after getting rolfstomped by everyone so it appears you can learn from your mistakes.

Have a great day.

I kinda assume that happened. I would expect a person to say "Not cool dude" and hopefully the Bartista would apologize. I'm guessing they didn't pay attention to it or left and let it simmer for a while and then brought it to a boil. I could get someone being pissed if it was a solider who lost their right hand and they wrote, "This one is for lefty!"

I guess I'm more tolerant of it, because even has a fit guy, I joke all the time about how I consume too much liquid diabetes (aka SB coffee) along with various Heart attack in a box, in reference to Big Macs and Baconators. I feel it would be a bit hypocritical of me to get offended at someone else making the joke. I do agree these kinda things make me think they are looking for some kind of pay out.

I kinda assume that happened. I would expect a person to say "Not cool dude" and hopefully the Bartista would apologize. I'm guessing they didn't pay attention to it or left and let it simmer for a while and then brought it to a boil. I could get someone being pissed if it was a solider who lost their right hand and they wrote, "This one is for lefty!"

I guess I'm more tolerant of it, because even has a fit guy, I joke all the time about how I consume too much liquid diabetes (aka SB coffee) along with various Heart attack in a box, in reference to Big Macs and Baconators. I feel it would be a bit hypocritical of me to get offended at someone else making the joke. I do agree these kinda things make me think they are looking for some kind of pay out.
    I'm offended that you clearly missed the last several years of dietary science.

Don't you know? You can baconate all you want.

Refined carbohydrates and vegetable oil are the bad guy.

Deleted
    pro tip : when you are talking to a stranger , be formal and dont joke . its social skills basics

You might feel different if your child had diabetes, or other close family members had diabetes or died from diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    You might feel different if your child had diabetes, or other close family members had diabetes or died from diabetes.
    My family lost an inordinate amount of people young to tragic circumstances. The takeaway from it was that there's more important shit to worry about than what's written on the outside of your coffee cup.

Nice try. But I'm probably less of a stranger to tragedy than you are. So all I can say to you saying that is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!

I am on the barista's side on this one. Its hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    pro tip : when you are talking to a stranger , be formal and dont joke . its social skills basics
    This guy gets it.

Everyone is trying to be a comedian. Everyone is trying to impart their personality on everyone. Everyone is trying show what a special snowflake they are to everyone else.

Just shut the fuck up, be polite, be considerate and do your job without interjecting your vapid and bizarre comments and personality onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    There's nothing illegal about having a little less... dry press release. Your problem is assuming that there are people with thoughts and feelings in charge, however. The incidence rate of psychopathy among top businessmen is hundreds of times higher than the background incidence rate in the general population.
    Hah, that's certainly true.

My family lost an inordinate amount of people young to tragic circumstances. The takeaway from it was that there's more important shit to worry about than what's written on the outside of your coffee cup.

Nice try. But I'm probably less of a stranger to tragedy than you are. So all I can say to you saying that is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!
    You say you have more important shit to worry about, yet you have spent an inordinate amount of time in this thread worrying about what happened at a Starbucks, of which you don't know anyone involved.

You have close to 15,000 posts at MMO-C.

Please tell me again how you have more important shit to worry about, when your actions here says otherwise?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

Why is he upset about his family history of diabeetus and then consuming enough sugar to kill a horse?

You say you have more important shit to worry about, yet you have spent an inordinate amount of time in this thread worrying about what happened at a Starbucks, of which you don't know anyone involved.

You have close to 15,000 posts at MMO-C.
    And what's your point?

I don't see the connection. I understand has an adult, that drinking large amounts of sugar water that I'm setting myself up for diabetes. I understand that eating Big Macs and fries I'm setting myself up for a variety of health issues. I also refer to coffee as Liquid crack, because it's so addicting and the withdrawal symptoms when I try to quit. Are you saying that I'm wrong for referring to it that way, because I'm not being sensitive to people who have died from crack?

For clarity, I'm not arguing that the Barista was right and shouldn't apologies. I perceive it has a joke that flopped. Of course, they should apologize if the patron feels offended and tells them so. But seeing how we have people random paint pictures that they were victimized because someone said something that they took offense too (aka dongle lady) and opted to make an issue out of something that should have probably be shrugged off or better handled than posting on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    I agree, though some Starbucks tend to have a folksy feel about them. Maybe this Barista saw the fella enough and thought he would throw in an Ice breaker or something. I'm guessing some of you guys don't fly Southwest much, as I'm sure their safety instructions would be considered offensive to some.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-04-13 at 03:16 AM.

I don't see the connection. I understand has an adult, that drinking large amounts of sugar water that I'm setting myself up for diabetes. I understand that eating Big Macs and fries I'm setting myself up for a variety of health issues. I also refer to coffee as Liquid crack, because it's so addicting and the withdrawal symptoms when I try to quit. Are you saying that I'm wrong for referring to it that way, because I'm not being sensitive to people who have died from crack?

For clarity, I'm not arguing that the Barista was right and shouldn't apologies. I perceive it has a joke that flopped. Of course, they should apologize if the patron feels offended and tells them so. But seeing how we have people random paint pictures that they were victimized because someone said something that they took offense too (aka dongle lady) and opted to make an issue out of something that should have probably be shrugged off or better handled than posting on social media.

I agree, though some Starbucks tend to have a folksy feel about them. Maybe this Barista saw the fella enough and thought he would throw in an Ice breaker or something. I'm guessing some of you guys don't fly Southwest much, as I'm sure their safety instructions would be considered offensive to some.
    I can't disagree with any of what you have said. Once again. All this guy did was post on his facebook the cup with what it said and a simple rebuttal on his part.

He didn't go on TV, or actively seek the media's attention or the attention of Starbucks. He simply posted something trivial to him about what was said on his coffee, that then was picked up by others and it received media attention.

Personally I don't complain about customer service to business's. Frankly I don't care as long as the product they are offering is what I want. I have however received poor customer service and I have shared that experience with friends in a light-hearted way. Haven't you ever had a bad customer service experience where you just told the story to a friend? I see this as the same thing, only in the age of social media and on facebook, that unfortunately was blown out of proportion and now it seems everyone is blaming this guy for some perceived behavior slight.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The joke should have been funny
    what jokes are funny is subjective...doesn't change that it was made in jest