Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Watcher promoted to Assistant Game Director

https://twitter.com/watcherdev

Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas has previously been promoted from Lead Encounter Designer to Lead Game Designer. He has now been promoted to Assistant Game Director (presumably this means second in charge to Tom Chilton).

Presumably this also means that Watcher now has much more creative control over the direction and vision of WoW. What are peoples' thoughts on this? Do you think that this fresh new blood at the top and new creative direction and leadership will revive WoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since Legion is mostly in polish/testing mode, we'll probably not see anything different until around first patch time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I think he was assistant game director when Blizzcon happened. I like logical people and he seems to be quite logical. So I guess it makes me a fan of him.

I think he understands the game at very high level of play since he was a hardcore raider himself. I also like the fact that he is quite honest too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I think he understands the game at very high level of play since he was a hardcore raider himself. I also like the fact that he is quite honest too.
    Still raids currently as well.

big fan of him and his thought process

always been a fan of him and how he approaches things in his interviews and at blizzcon, hope for the best

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, congratulations to Watcher!
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like him, he is essentially a for the 1% kinda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Do you think that that could also be his weakness? Designing the game from the top 1% down?

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Do you think that that could also be his weakness? Designing the game from the top 1% down?
    Yes, it could but Chilton is there too. I just hope that Ion will arrange progression and reward structures which make sense at least to me and he seems to be the man for the job. The other devs just seem out of touch with very in-depth issues.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-04-13 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Honestly, and I don't think I could ever regret saying this, you can't get much more "cater to the 1% and the rest of you take what's left" than WoD's philosophy. They'd have to straight-up remove Heroic/Normal and LFR and Max-Level Quests entirely. I mean, Mythic 30-man and no gear drops below it would be funny at least.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Ion Scumbagostas with more power in his hand? Priceless xD

I don't know this person and neither do the vast majority of posters on this forum (despite how strong their opinions on the topic are), so I can't comment :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Ion Hazzikostas is a true rags-to-riches story. He started as a passionate WoW player and theorycrafter. He got the attention and request of Blizzard to work for them, and now he is the right-hand man of the Game Director. Big congratulations to him!

It tells you that Blizzard really values passion for video games and they will hire you without a doubt, if you can turn that passion into something tangible.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    At least they didn't promote Holinka even further above his competence level than he already is. Congrats to Watcher, let's see how this cookie crumbles.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    Ion Scumbagostas with more power in his hand? Priceless xD
    How was he a scumbag? Are you trying to not reason logically?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Honestly, and I don't think I could ever regret saying this, you can't get much more "cater to the 1% and the rest of you take what's left" than WoD's philosophy. They'd have to straight-up remove Heroic/Normal and LFR and Max-Level Quests entirely. I mean, Mythic 30-man and no gear drops below it would be funny at least.
    Tbh the "1%" or Mythic Raiders or whatever you want to call that player base suffered alot in WoD aswell. The raids were great but we were still stuck in garrisons with no world content and shitty rep grinds like the rest of the playerbase. The only thing I'll give you is that they did nerf the LFR to not have trinkets/tiers,but thats about it.

OT - Grats to him,he did good while on Encounter designs so lets see how his new role goes. The reward structure really needs work,apexis crystals or gold aren't the answer tbh
    "In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."
    | CPU - i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz + Cooler Master Hyper - 212 EVO | MB - MSI Z170A Gaming M3 | RAM - 4x HYPERX Savage Black 4GB DDR4 2133MHz | GPU - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1080 | HDD #1 - 600GB Western Digital WDC | HDD #2 2TB Seagate @ 7200 RPM | SSD - HyperX Fury 240GB | PSU - LC-POWER LC8750III @750W | Mouse - Logitech G600 | KB - Logitech G910

I've always thought Ion was the epitome of dipshit (Goes to school for 8 years to be a lawyer, then quits that to get a job at a place that someone at McDonalds has the qualifications for). Then just today I find out he was the founder of Elitist Jerks (the website and the guild), and it all made sense.

But congrats to him. Every rung higher up the ladder, will hopefully make the pain feel a little less severe 10-20-30 years from now when he asks himself why he quit a promising career to play with video games.
    Last edited by ablib; 2016-04-13 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel of Justice View Post
    Tbh the "1%" or Mythic Raiders or whatever you want to call that player base suffered alot in WoD aswell. The raids were great but we were still stuck in garrisons with no world content and shitty rep grinds like the rest of the playerbase. The only thing I'll give you is that they did nerf the LFR to not have trinkets/tiers,but thats about it.

OT - Grats to him,he did good while on Encounter designs so lets see how his new role goes. The reward structure really needs work,apexis crystals or gold aren't the answer tbh
    Being stuck in garrisons is no different to how in previous expansions players would rarely venture outside of a major town like Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.