Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Oh boyyyy. Judging by the sad state of the current game, this can only lead to more disappointment. Watcher may understand what that upper 1% for large raiding groups wants. But it's a very finite view of the game as a whole, and isn't very fun for a lot. Just look at the subscription numbers lost, and the raiding guilds that are no longer raiding.

If they were hoping to revitalize WoW, it certainly hasn't shown it. A steady decline of quality since WoTLK has taken effect. (Sure, we got some quality of life improvements and what have you) but looking at the long term really makes you question. Even setting aside taking a look at nostalgia through rose-tinted glasses, directing the raid scene towards ONE raid size for end-game is a terrible concept. It basically diminishes the work you have to do for tuning,... which I guess is probably a positive.. considering alllll the bugs the ten man tuning faced.

This man cares little about anyone but those who he's familiar with, I.E., those old 25-man groups. I'm sure he believe that as long LFR and normal and flex/heroic whatever exist, that he can make end-game exclusive to those sizes. I don't mind bigger raid teams, but I'm sure there are more than a few groups of people who preferred the 10 man scene, while also having access to end-quality gear. While more often than not, having to put much more effort into a fight than the 25 man counterpart.

Moving Watcher to this position hints at a few angles, honestly. And not really any of them are all that positive, when it comes to the future of the game and population of those who play it. Congratulations for him making it up the latter, but until he gets his feet wet and realizes that there's more to cater to. Eh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am of two minds about him.

On the negative side, I've never really forgiven him for saying that the only important things in the game are raiding and PVP. He said that in a Q&A with CM Lore and I think it was one of those things that they think in Irvine but try not to ever say. So it was to me a moment of honesty and a great disappointment. I thought him smarter than that.

On the plus side, whenever there's a panel that he's a part of, he's clearly the smartest guy on the stage (last paragraph notwithstanding).

As for his new position, he has hopefully transitioned from concerning himself solely with dungeon and raid encounters (which after all was his job for a long time) and will have a perspective on what works for everyone in the game. If and when he realizes that the world and story outside of dungeons and raids is a critical piece of the game I think the game will be better off for it.

I've never seen Chilton as a guy who has a real vision for the game but more of a manager that allows others to enable their own vision. Which is well and good except the game when at its best is more than the sum of its parts. That needs someone who thinks about the game as more than X, Y, and Z. Watcher may be able to bring an actual vision for what the game should be to bear. In the end I may not like or agree with that vision but even then it's probably better to have that than throwing a bunch of quests, dungeons, and raids in a box, connecting them up with a story line that is so thin as to be nonexistent and calling it an expansion. That's pretty much what I thought of Warlords.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-13 at 07:34 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    I'm more worried that jay "fuck that loser" wilson took his place as lead game daesigner.

Always liked the guy, so congrats to him

Deleted
    I like Ion, I hope he won't disappoint us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    https://twitter.com/watcherdev

Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas has previously been promoted from Lead Encounter Designer to Lead Game Designer. He has now been promoted to Assistant Game Director (presumably this means second in charge to Tom Chilton).

Presumably this also means that Watcher now has much more creative control over the direction and vision of WoW. What are peoples' thoughts on this? Do you think that this fresh new blood at the top and new creative direction and leadership will revive WoW?
    He has been Assistant Game Designer atleast since January, if not BlizzCon 2015. I dont currently remember the first interview where they called him with his new title, but yesterday was certainly not the first time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I am of two minds about him.

On the negative side, I've never really forgiven him for saying that the only important things in the game are raiding and PVP. He said that in a Q&A with CM Lore and I think it was one of those things that they think in Irvine but try not to ever say. So it was to me a moment of honesty and a great disappointment. I thought him smarter than that.

On the plus side, whenever there's a panel that he's a part of, he's clearly the smartest guy on the stage (last paragraph notwithstanding).

As for his new position, he has hopefully transitioned from concerning himself solely with dungeon and raid encounters (which after all was his job for a long time) and will have a perspective on what works for everyone in the game. If and when he realizes that the world and story outside of dungeons and raids is a critical piece of the game I think the game will be better off for it.

I've never seen Chilton as a guy who has a real vision for the game but more of a manager that allows others to enable their own vision. Which is well and good except the game when at its best is more than the sum of its parts. That needs someone who thinks about the game as more than X, Y, and Z. Watcher may be able to bring an actual vision for what the game should be to bear. In the end I may not like or agree with that vision but even then it's probably better to have that than throwing a bunch of quests, dungeons, and raids in a box, connecting them up with a story line that is so thin as to be nonexistent and calling it an expansion. That's pretty much what I thought of Warlords.
    Whats important in wow is pretty subjective. Saying raids and pvp are the most important part isnt dumb, its just his view.

A lot of people think that wow would do just fine without those two. Personally i think wow would should down completely without them. They are pretty much the only two things you cant remove from wow. So i guess i agree with him

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    He has been Assistant Game Designer atleast since January, if not BlizzCon 2015. I dont currently remember the first interview where they called him with his new title, but yesterday was certainly not the first time.
    I don't remember anyone calling him an assistant game director until now. My impression that he was last known as a Lead Game Designer. Assistant Game Director sounds like a promotion to me anyway.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Judging from his statement regarding garrison 2.0 facebook game order halls, his total disregard for the community shows he doesn't deserve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    I'm more worried that jay "fuck that loser" wilson took his place as lead game daesigner.
    No wonder the game looks like Diablo 3.

Bad news. He's the kind of guy that has no passion for video games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    Judging from his statement regarding garrison 2.0 facebook game order halls, his total disregard for the community shows he doesn't deserve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you care to elaborate on that? Because i dont actually understand why you think he disregards the community based on his last posts

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

THe things we are getting from D3(that people actually find awesome in D3) happened after jay stopped working on it. FYI

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the guy, seems down to earth and responds well to feedback from what I've seen.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Did you even read the statement?

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I've always thought Ion was the epitome of dipshit (Goes to school for 8 years to be a lawyer, then quits that to get a job at a place that someone at McDonalds has the qualifications for). Then just today I find out he was the founder of Elitist Jerks (the website and the guild), and it all made sense.
    Sometimes people set out on a path to accomplish something viewed by society as successful and stick in out so they have it as a fall back. Obviously his true path in life was pursuing something he loved more than being a lieyer. And how is a guy that finishes law school a dipshit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Transmigration View Post
    Sometimes people set out on a path to accomplish something viewed by society as successful and stick in out so they have it as a fall back. Obviously his true path in life was pursuing something he loved more than being a lieyer. And how is a guy that finishes law school a dipshit?
    I'm equally unsure of how is explanation for him being a dipshit makes him a dipshit

As long as he isn't J Allen Brack i don't mind/care, #youthinkyoudobutyoudont
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Tell me what he is personally responsible for in relation to WoD and then I'll decide if this is a good thing or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that? Because i dont actually understand why you think he disregards the community based on his last posts
    His whole post. He didn't address any of the concerns that were brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    THe things we are getting from D3(that people actually find awesome in D3) happened after jay stopped working on it. FYI
    Really? The way legendaries drops were? I'm pretty sure that was before he left.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    https://twitter.com/watcherdev

Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas has previously been promoted from Lead Encounter Designer to Lead Game Designer. He has now been promoted to Assistant Game Director (presumably this means second in charge to Tom Chilton).

Presumably this also means that Watcher now has much more creative control over the direction and vision of WoW. What are peoples' thoughts on this? Do you think that this fresh new blood at the top and new creative direction and leadership will revive WoW?
    well thats a finger flipped towards all the youtube crybabies who whine about garrisons 2.0 showing that blizzard is not going to back on their current game design

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't remember anyone calling him an assistant game director until now. My impression that he was last known as a Lead Game Designer. Assistant Game Director sounds like a promotion to me anyway.
    Nope, I'll look into my post history to find out the day when he was first called Assit. Game Director the first time.

Edit: found it. He was called Assit. Game Director the first time when they did that blog post to promote their Maw of Souls streamer event. Start of February he got promoted probably, if not earlier.
    Last edited by mmoc59b5827c7e; 2016-04-13 at 08:23 AM.