... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    I agree with you.

I also liked the small things that made the game a RPG:

Flint and tinder to create a fire
    creating poisons from mats
    using ammo for ranged weapons
    LEARNING YOUR SKILLS FROM TRAINERS
    skills requiring mats, like blind, reincarnation..

etc etc
    I can't agree more with you. I still remember having to jump through hoops to get my new summons on my warlock. What an awesome feeling it was, just for them to not be as good as the VW for leveling lol.

The "having to talk to your trainer" thing was something I was really disappointed about losing. I miss the ranks of spells and having to go back and visit cities. Hell I even miss having to farm soul shards. It was part of the class and made it feel unique to any other.

WoW is crap now, it was built up from people enjoying a community spirit as soon as then entered this awesome game and then over time has been watered down, to eventually kill off the one thing that made it so popular, 12 Million popular , it killed its community.
    WoW lost its community with 3 things, not to say there are plenty of obvious inclusions(Garrisons, Epics on tap, server grouping, dailies etc, etc), but the main 3 points I myself find are

Flying
    Talent Tree
    Server Transfers/Name Change

Flying
    When people got flying mounts, no more riding together through a tunnel of mobs just to get anywhere, no more summoning stone use, no more groups traveling with flight masters and boats giving them time to build community or generally make friends and enemies along the way.

Talents
    OP covered this

Transfers/Name change
    If you have the prospect of only playing on one server, you are hardly likely to be an asshole, cheat or thief, as you will find it hard to engage with the server community afterwards. This only gives rewards of players actually behaving themselves (most of the time) . Unfortunately real life comes to play sometimes with family being on other server, so i would allow 1 transfer per 2 years, so the peril of community backlash still exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezhial View Post
    I can't agree more with you. I still remember having to jump through hoops to get my new summons on my warlock. What an awesome feeling it was, just for them to not be as good as the VW for leveling lol.

The "having to talk to your trainer" thing was something I was really disappointed about losing. I miss the ranks of spells and having to go back and visit cities. Hell I even miss having to farm soul shards. It was part of the class and made it feel unique to any other.
    SS farming rocked!!

That's what I am talking about. Small things that made each class special.

A guy mentioned it a few posts ago. They tried to make all class the same. Why? If you wanted to be a damage dealer you could choose to be a rogue for melee, hunter for range and lock / mage for spells. If you wanted to be a healer, priest , shaman , paladin . Why on earth they had to homogenize all classes? To feed the evergrowing desires of crybabies?

I agree with you.

etc etc
    Yeah, I can't argue with this. I also really miss sharpening stones. I still remember when I was an officer in my guild while we were raiding...I was that guy who'd get on to people for not using food buffs or whatever else to maximize things. I know rogues and such didn't use sharpening stones because they had their poisons, but there wasn't much of an excuse for warriors (even tanks) to not use them. Hated it so much when we had one of those wipes where a boss was at less than 1%, and then I found out we had 2 tanks not using sharpening stones because "I'm just a tank and my DPS doesn't matter"

Deleted
    I agree with you.

etc etc
    I really miss using ammo. I know it was annoying at times, but if you remove all the little things that can be annoying, you are left with a game where it doesn't feel like a world anymore, it just feels like you are interacting through menus from your safespace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Yeah, I can't argue with this. I also really miss sharpening stones. I still remember when I was an officer in my guild while we were raiding...I was that guy who'd get on to people for not using food buffs or whatever else to maximize things. I know rogues and such didn't use sharpening stones because they had their poisons, but there wasn't much of an excuse for warriors (even tanks) to not use them. Hated it so much when we had one of those wipes where a boss was at less than 1%, and then I found out we had 3 DPS not using food buffs and 2 tanks not using sharpening stones because "I'm just a tank and my DPS doesn't matter"
    speaking of officers:

It was also important for officers / raid leader to carefully place the players in groups, as each group was sharing its own buffs only!

So the dps group would be smthing like : rogue, rogue, hunter, hunter warrior in vanilla and rogue,rogue, shaman, hunter, warrior in TBC!

Damn I even miss this shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Stobbz View Post
    WoW is crap now, it was built up from people enjoying a community spirit as soon as then entered this awesome game and then over time has been watered down, to eventually kill off the one thing that made it so popular, 12 Million popular , it killed its community.
    WoW lost its community with 3 things, not to say there are plenty of obvious inclusions(Garrisons, Epics on tap, server grouping, dailies etc, etc), but the main 3 points I myself find are

Flying
    Talent Tree
    Server Transfers/Name Change

Flying
    When people got flying mounts, no more riding together through a tunnel of mobs just to get anywhere, no more summoning stone use, no more groups traveling with flight masters and boats giving them time to build community or generally make friends and enemies along the way.

Talents
    OP covered this

Transfers/Name change
    If you have the prospect of only playing on one server, you are hardly likely to be an asshole, cheat or thief, as you will find it hard to engage with the server community afterwards. This only gives rewards of players actually behaving themselves (most of the time) . Unfortunately real life comes to play sometimes with family being on other server, so i would allow 1 transfer per 2 years, so the peril of community backlash still exists.
    your idea for transfers/name change gets in the way of "Money" There are fools who server transfer a character or buy a boost every week. I know people like that. Blizzard is raking it in.

speaking of officers:
    It was also important for officers / raid leader to carefully place the players in groups, as each group was sharing its own buffs only!
    So the dps group would be smthing like : rogue, rogue, hunter, hunter warrior in vanilla and rogue,rogue, shaman, hunter, warrior in TBC!
    Damn I even miss this shit!
    Yeah, I remember making sure we had a shaman in certain groups for heroism (and certain buffs, like how we had an enhancement shaman in the strong melee group). I played a fury warrior and always wanted to be in that group. BC was definitely by far the most fun I've ever had raiding.

The sharpening stone removal pissed me off because the reasoning for it was "Good news! One less thing you have to farm now!" I think there was also something along the lines of how it supposedly made rogues/shamans feel less unique because they had class abilities that could buff their weapons, but I kinda called BS on that. I always thought sharpening stones for melee weapons and the oils for caster weapons were really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    your idea for transfers/name change gets in the way of "Money" There are fools who server transfer a character or buy a boost every week. I know people like that. Blizzard is raking it in.
    "Money" :S Blizzard have never spoken about this at a Blizzcon before, all i hear is how much they learn from us and care about the game , I am very confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Yeah, I remember making sure we had a shaman in certain groups for heroism (and certain buffs, like how we had an enhancement shaman in the strong melee group). I played a fury warrior and always wanted to be in that group. BC was definitely by far the most fun I've ever had raiding.

The sharpening stone removal pissed me off because the reasoning for it was "Good news! One less thing you have to farm now!" I think there was also something along the lines of how it supposedly made rogues/shamans feel less unique because they had class abilities that could buff their weapons, but I kinda called BS on that. I always thought sharpening stones for melee weapons and the oils for caster weapons were really cool.
    Hehe, I was on that group shaman for windfury, warrior for att pow buff! Great times!

I agree, I also liked sharpening stones. They indeed helped me level my warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Yeah but going from 12 mio down to 3 - 4 mio is devastating.
    If I cannot be bad, there is no good. And being able to play the way I want to play is more immersive than anything else. Want to feel like Rexxar, fighting alongside your pet? Could be done as a Dual Wielding Beastmaster. Really ineffective, but better then being forced into one weapon, one spec and be like everyother player of my class.
    You can still be bad and do some random stuff, they are not limiting you to one ability per tier. But for the most part it didn't make sense.

How do you know its 3 - 4 million players? Last report was 5.5 million...

I agree with you.

etc etc
    At some point realism for the sake of immersion just becomes annoying to players. Should we have your character stop every ten minutes to take a bathroom break in the middle of the raid? How about rest...let's make it so that every 24 hours you have to log out in an Inn for at least 6 of them so you can sleep. Let's also make travel more realistic and make it so you have to quarter and feed your horses. Etc.

So they shouldn't keep in a feature that is largely pointless just because it helps the few players who care that much about immersion. Flint and tinder to start a fire is a realistic idea but most players see it as a wasted bag space. Needing reagents for spells is fun the first couple times but when the mage in your party can't cast arcane intellect because he forgot to buy dust it's just annoying.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Okay, so I don't need to enjoy the roleplaying. Good to know, so I don't need to enjoy the driving in racing games, enjoy shooting in shooters? Really, man?
    Following your definition everything with characters you controll is an RPG! Even fucking farmville is an RPG to you.

Is said diminish, not invalidate. Yes it is still big, but in perspective to what it was? Not really "massiv" anymore.
    How hard is this to understand lol.

Your enjoyment of the game has absolutely nothing to do with what genre it is.

Thats obvious to a little child.

A game in which you control a character is a roleplaying game.

From my understanding you dont do that in farmville. So no that would be incorrect.

Age of Empires is an example of another game that isnt an RPG.

IF what wow used to be is the only definition of MMO then wow would be the only MMO ever. And thats not true either.

Apparently there is a large difference between what you percieve and what is reality

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    At some point realism for the sake of immersion just becomes annoying to players. Should we have your character stop every ten minutes to take a bathroom break in the middle of the raid? How about rest...let's make it so that every 24 hours you have to log out in an Inn for at least 6 of them so you can sleep. Let's also make travel more realistic and make it so you have to quarter and feed your horses. Etc.

So they shouldn't keep in a feature that is largely pointless just because it helps the few players who care that much about immersion. Flint and tinder to start a fire is a realistic idea but most players see it as a wasted bag space. Needing reagents for spells is fun the first couple times but when the mage in your party can't cast arcane intellect because he forgot to buy dust it's just annoying.
    obviously, because after all -what the hell- we are not playing a RPG game...

gee..

Deleted
    obviously, because after all -what the hell- we are not playing a RPG game...

gee..
    If you are playing wow then yes, you are playing a RPG

SS farming rocked!!

That's what I am talking about. Small things that made each class special.

A guy mentioned it a few posts ago. They tried to make all class the same. Why? If you wanted to be a damage dealer you could choose to be a rogue for melee, hunter for range and lock / mage for spells. If you wanted to be a healer, priest , shaman , paladin . Why on earth they had to homogenize all classes? To feed the evergrowing desires of crybabies?
    While I won't go into the "crybaby" piece, as I know everyone has their own opinion of things, I do feel they are creating / molding a game to an entirely different audience now. I just feel in the process too much was taken away, like hitting Demon Skin every 30 - 60 minutes, or feeding your pet, or buying reagents to buff. I don't feel like these things were too inconvenient and actually pushed classes in their own direction.

Hopefully with Legion classes will feel unique again, aside from just the class halls, which I am worried is Garrison 2.0, but that's another subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    If you are playing wow then yes, you are playing a RPG
    ex-RPG, more like an online action/adventure right now.

Deleted
    ex-RPG, more like an online action/adventure right now.
    Where you not the one 1 hour ago whining that there wasnt any adventure in wow?

WoW has both the real definition of an RPG and the gamer like definition of an RPG.

That makes it an RPG.

The leveling, the abilities, the talents. All makes for an RPG. Including the official definition of Roleplaying a character.

I just watched a video of all the cool things that happened in WoW that are now gone.

What I saw brought back a lot of what I had forgotten about, but what I have been harping about for a while now. They need to get people back in the world. Kiting Kazzak or the Bronze dragon to a major city was amazing. People did things, saw each other and interacted as a massive community. Classes did things and developers didn't go out of their way to make sure mechanics were not abused. Thus, mechanics did get abused and people did things that made the experience amazing. Giant world pvp by putting quest hubs right next to each other and making you quest side by side with the enemy faction.

If I could contact one Blizzard developer and make a plea it would be to put us back in the world. No more phasing. No more LFG. Please never bring back flying. Make us explore. Make us fight. Make us a community again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Where you not the one 1 hour ago whining that there wasnt any adventure in wow?

WoW has both the real definition of an RPG and the gamer like definition of an RPG.

That makes it an RPG.

The leveling, the abilities, the talents. All makes for an RPG. Including the official definition of Roleplaying a character.
    no, I whine that it is not a MMO-RPG, not an action/adventure genre.

The aspects your are mentioning are not part of just RPGs. In age of empires 3 you could level up your cities and gain traits, was that a RPG game?