Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Let's just focus on Blizzard vs Nost atm. SOMEONE profited off of Blizz IP, right? The server host. Do you disagree?
    No. Let's not. And address the argument or get out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans Koomen View Post
    I also think that they were shutdown for copyright infringement. Simple as that. The timing and choice can be discussed though.
    Yeah the timing does seem questionable but they were advertising quite a bit but I think the main thing that got them was that twitch streamers and youtubers started talking about them a lot.

Deleted
    So someone is making a profit then yeah? The server company.
    No they aren't. They are just paying for server costs.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna993 View Post
    But them not being interested isn't solely due to lack of interest. Things like brand recognition, costs, current dev pride and such also come into play. Which is why you saying you haven't seen the interest is as irrelevant as the Nost people saying there is. Because you dismiss their numbers but they, somehow, aren't allowed to dismiss your "i haven't seen the interest".
    Nost people can say they want. Blizz makes the call and so far they aren't for it. Simple as that. You want something to change then get more than 90k signatures on a petition and don't count on popular youtube streamers to carry the day. Most people forget that stuff in a matter of days.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cry me a river, it is their property and they have the right to shutdown, period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I don't have to say anything. Blizzard already said it quite eloquently:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    NO!
    Blizzard says alot of things that later change keep that in mind

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    so, if i, for example, am part of this "server holding" party, i come up with a great idea, i make "nostalrus" server, invite people in my team, pay them nothing, host the server, and then use this nostalrus people to ask for donations and get money myself, it would still be ok? No one is making money off blizzards IP?
    No, only if you use that money to pay for the server costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    orks in wh are mushrooms that were created to defeat necrons but creators forgot to put "turn off" switch. orks in warcraft are completely idfferent, they have nothing similar to each other, even their appearance is different
    Potato, tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    So the company that has servers makes no money. Oh wait that isn't right. They got paid to have Nost on their servers thus they were making a profit! It is like a brickwall I'm talking to.

No, only if you use that money to pay for the server costs.
    Oh okay, it is okay to take Blizz's IP as long as you don't profit on it and only pay for the server costs through donations! Riiiight totally going to hold up in a court if Blizz sues the server hosting company and the people behind Nost.

Deleted
    No. Let's not. And address the argument or get out of here.
    Like you refuse to address his argument?

- - - Updated - - -

Which means they got money for something Blizzard created?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Like you refuse to address his argument?
    Yeah I'm done wasting my time with him. He's crazy about the Warhammer vs Warcraft thing and now just being pointlessly stubborn about the server hosting company. There is no productive discussion with someone like that.

Wouldn't shock me that there were some bad apples in the GM team. Private Servers aren't regulated so I wouldn't be caught dead playing on one as I have no trust factor behind the people running it.

Yeah the class breakdown on Nost cracked me the fuck up. Get that classic Vanilla feeling....just only if you are X classes because all the information about what is OP is long since known.
    This is one of the reasons vanilla was fun back then. You didn't have all the information you have now. At least for a year or so, you just played what was fun.
    Thats not how it would work on an actually legacy server.

That's why the horrible class balance was not such a big issue back then but it sure would be a big issue now. It would probably force Blizzard into balancing the clases and after a while, that legacy server would be nothing like vanilla.

I have fond memories of that time but I would not want to go back there.

Deleted
    I love those numbers, can anybody give me an opinion on what they think worse:
    1) losing 80% of your players paying nothing because the experience differed from what they expected (Nostalrius), or
    2) losing 80% of your PAYING players because the experience differed from what they expected (WoD)?

Deleted
    So the company that has servers makes no money. Oh wait that isn't right. They got paid to have Nost on their servers thus they were making a profit! It is like a brickwall I'm talking to.
    They only sold their servers, nothing else. Do you think that is illegal? Do you think selling blank CD and DVDs is illegal, just because someone could use them for illegal purposes?

7+ Year Old Account
    funny pirate defenders. tell me more about god nostralius server.

btw. GJ Blizz destroy all pirates asap. everyone should PAID FOR THIS GAME not playing on free pserver. In web should be only one right server:

Retail

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    This is one of the reasons vanilla was fun back then. You didn't have all the information you have now. At least for a year or so, you just played what was fun.
    Thats not how it would work on an actually legacy server.

That's why the horrible class balance was not such a big issue back then but it sure would be a big issue now. It would probably force Blizzard into balancing the clases and after a while, that legacy server would be nothing like vanilla.

I have fond memories of that time but I would not want to go back there.
    *nods* It is why I'm not really surprised by the class break down on Nost. The sad thing is that all the information is known going in, fastest way to level, places to get gear. Sure on retail WoW that information starts to get out over time but not the moment the server is opened on day 1. And just like you said Blizz would likely get forced into trying to class balance which would piss off purists if they did and piss off newer people to it if they didn't. Couldn't win there.

Yeah I loved Vanilla WoW for when I played it but I couldn't go back to it now, I'd get bored quickly.

Deleted
    Oh okay, it is okay to take Blizz's IP as long as you don't profit on it and only pay for the server costs through donations!
    Yeah. Yeah it is. Unless you are a cosplayer and have big tits. Then you can dress up as Blizzard characters, make fotos of that and have people pay you 10k$ a month. Then it's even ok if you profit off of it.

Deleted
    They only sold their servers, nothing else. Do you think that is illegal? Do you think selling blank CD and DVDs is illegal, just because someone could use them for illegal purposes?
    In some countries you indeed pay a fee on blank CD's and DVD's because you can store copyrighted material on it. Amazing isn't it?

Deleted
    What dimension do you live in and how do you get the same internet as us?

Deleted
    To me it just looks like people played 1-30 and got bored. It happens. It does seem like that the people that were willing to level more were the hardcore crowd and at least those seemed to stick around.
    Or you can spin this the other way by saying: people played 1-30. They didn't want to see the server shutdown down the line because it's illegal and all their time wasted so they quit.

You can't attribute people not going past 30 only on boredom. Is it one of the reasons? Yes. It is the only reason? no