10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    - make more money than before Blizzard's profits goes to the toilet since their stupid decision and now Legion expansions' quality suffers as well
    Thinking Legion could sink lower is rather nicely optimistic of you.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I'm not all that annoyed over Blizzard, I'm way more annoyed at Nostalrius's devs. They gave up so damn easily, didn't even fight it a bit. They could have absolutely moved the server somewhere else where Blizzard couldn't touch them. With a playerbase that big and dedicated, if they had just said Blizz is C&Ding our host please send donations so we can take action, this wouldn't have happened.
    But nope. There was something else going on that quickened the closing, but they won't ever admit the exact reasons why they closed the server.
    This entire fiasco reeks of something fishy. Or maybe, just maybe it was because they were French.
    You can allways go ahead a do it yourself (running a vanilla server) but dont come here cryin after blizzard ruined your live. afaik the dudes of nost live in the us, so blizzard can allways drag them to court there and ruin (literally) their lives.

Deleted
    I have followed discussion on this with little interest tbh as it doesnt effect me. The reason I'm posting is my surprise that it made BBC news here in the UK :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36044000

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    They weren't making money, next.
    Can we allready ignoring this dude that knows pretty well that the hoster made bucks of blizzards ip and yet claims noone made a buck of nost....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Oh give me a fucking break lol. The servers were not free, I doubt they were keeping money for themselves.
    You doubt it but have you PROVE?

RIP Nostalrius, I loved you!

I have not read this topic and won't see any replies. But I'll just say that it sucks, if they were closing themselves down then that's fine. But if Blizzard shuts down fan made content because they themselves refuse to support it. That's just awful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Good hopefully they hammer them with lawsuits even though they shut down. They were stealing others should be deterred from doing the same.
    Do some research man... This private server was very different. They did not charged people for some cosmetic nonsense or asked for donations. This simply was nostalgia project.

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    I love how a power bloc that's made up mostly of people who don't give any money to Blizzard because "I don't like modern WoW, whaa whaa" think they have any power. What are you going to do, threaten to keep on not giving them money?

The irony I find in all of this is that the same people who say "Blizzard sucks and so does WoW! are also saying "Blizzard, make me a legacy realm please!". Exactly who do you think would make these realms? Hint: It's the guys you think suck at making video games. The modern day staff would make any theoretical vanilla realm. They aren't going to hop in phone booth Bill and Ted style and go back a decade and grab the old Blizzard team to do it.

Most of you people should just give up. You clearly can't stand the modern team and they sure as heck aren't going to let some outsiders make a legacy server. (especially a bunch of rule breakers who thumbed their noses at Blizzard policy)
    You understand that the reason we're saying this is that we *want* to like or at least have a little faith in blizz. Most of us have paid them hundreds if not thousands of dollars for various releases, subscriptions, and past games. We want to go back to that.

The reason that we're irritated is what I've said earlier in this thread - Blizzard seems really committed to losing money on this.

Their strategy against private servers is pretty much "if one gets big enough, we let legal go crazy on them". Which a) costs more in legal fees for blizzard, b) does nothing to address the other hundreds of private servers that players that get booted off have access to and c) pisses off their old consumers who are looking for a product that they don't even offer anymore.

So basically its a solution that does... less than nothing?

The easy solutions are

1) Let private servers do what they want because they aren't selling that anymore.
    2) Make legacy servers so the people that liked your old product can buy it from you.

Anything else is half assed and, while obviously legal, pretty much a stupid/dick move.

Deleted
    typical move by blizzard and can't blame them either. One of the main reasons I would never play on a leveling server

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Thinking Legion could sink lower is rather nicely optimistic of you.
    Does those 9 dragons whisper in yours ears all the time telling you to whine for 8185 posts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niilo View Post
    Do some research man... This private server was very different. They did not charged people for some cosmetic nonsense or asked for donations. This simply was nostalgia project.
    they took donations
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2016-04-15 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Because if the game experience is less than what Blizzard would approve of it would damage their brand.
    Considering WoD, that's pretty ironic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Considering WoD, that's pretty ironic
    WoD did and is damaging their brand though

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Does those 9 dragons whisper in yours ears all the time telling you to whine for 8185 posts?

- - - Updated - - -

they took donations
    They took donations to help pay for the server, it has be said that if Blizz didn't shut them down, it was likly they would have shutdown anyway because they couldn't afford to run the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    I love how a power bloc that's made up mostly of people who don't give any money to Blizzard because "I don't like modern WoW, whaa whaa" think they have any power. What are you going to do, threaten to keep on not giving them money?
    Basically. The ex-WoW players amount to 20 times (probably 25 now) the size of the current-WoW players. Why do you think Blizzard regularly send "hey look what's been released ! Hey, look what is in the pipes ! Hey look !" messages to ex-subscribers ? OBVIOUSLY they want the old players back. Only the most delusional fanboys would think that Blizzard is happy to just have less than half of the sub they had once (despite all the posturing and damage control about "how, you know, we TOTALLY did plan for the sub to be cyclical, nothing to worry about !").
    Most of you people should just give up. You clearly can't stand the modern team and they sure as heck aren't going to let some outsiders make a legacy server. (especially a bunch of rule breakers who thumbed their noses at Blizzard policy)
    One thing true is that "we" can't stand the modern team. I've seen nearly nothing good coming from them since the big dumbing down of 3.0 (save non-WoD leveling, MoP and WotLK had really awesome leveling and half of the Cata high-level zones were pretty good).
    But as for them not allowing outsiders to provide what they refuse to... well, their own losses. PS will continue to exist, and I'm not even sure they would actually win a lawsuit against one which wouldn't cave and not gain money out of it. The only lawsuit I remember was about a PS which was running the current version AND made a ton of bucks - I think the results of a trial would have a small but noticeable chance to surprise a lot the brown-nosers trying to pass their outrage as love of law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hnlntm View Post
    They took donations to help pay for the server, it has be said that if Blizz didn't shut them down, it was likly they would have shutdown anyway because they couldn't afford to run the server.
    I dont care why they took donations.

It helped them personally pay for the server. It doesnt really matter what they used the money on. If they used it on candy they had to pay for the server anyway.

The thing is if you want to put up a private server thats fine with me(its not fine with everyone). But that then means having to pay for it yourself. You are essentially making money. its like buying a car and accepting donations for the car. "but i'm not making money tis all going to the car"

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You can allways go ahead a do it yourself (running a vanilla server) but dont come here cryin after blizzard ruined your live. afaik the dudes of nost live in the us, so blizzard can allways drag them to court there and ruin (literally) their lives.
    The nos guys are French actually.
    Also, the glee with which you people enjoy the idea that a minor copyright violation on outdated material will ruin the life of people is just disgusting. Yay, someone who loved a game and kept it alive without benefit and at a significant investment from himself will have his whole life ruined like if he were a rapist !
    And the same guys try to give lessons on moral compass

Quote Originally Posted by Niilo View Post
    And it does not matter that they didn't charge people for things. They took donations to keep the server paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    WoD did and is damaging their brand though
    That was my point. I find it amusing that the argument "Blizzard couldn't let them hurt their brand !" is used, when you see how Blizzard manages to do it by themselves

As you can see this thread is already slowing down quite a lot. The noise and outcry is already dying down and Blizz didn't have to say a word. Soon enough some new internet hot topic will pop up and the youtube crowd will move on to that.

Deleted

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by hnlntm View Post
    I guess that hosting a server for about 14k members causes a lot of traffic and also they needed Gamemasters that helped the people playing on that server.
    Personally i hate the thought that Blizzard is closing privateservers just because a lot of people want to play THEIR game but in an other stat than it is on the live servers. In my opinion they should´ve take Nostralius as an clue that theire´re enough people willing to play their old content as it was.