10+ Year Old Account

How to tell my boss i am quitting.

tldr;
    I got a job 1
    I quit job 1 for another job 2
    lost job 2
    Job 1 offered me work again
    Offered a really good job that plays double job 1
    too nervous to quit job 1 again after being taken back.

So my situation is this, 2 years ago i was working for a gas station here while i go to school. I work night shift.

My boss is a really cool guy. Respectful and co-workers are really good as well. I work around 56 hours a week sometimes more here. So i get a decent paycheck. I make 9.50$ an hour. My issue is after working there for year i had to quit the first time because a friend needed someone to cover his store for a couple months. I let my boss know i was quitting for that reason.

Flash forward 3 months ago, my friend went out of business, i was unemployed for around 2 months and as a college student who pays for all my classes i was running out of savings. I call my old boss back up and he actually re hired me. He gave me second chance and a job when i needed it. The owner my boss and one of his managers only say good things about me. I actually get my work done, most of his other employees are pretty lazy and are unreliable so having me back was awesome.

Now my only concern is a large company i applied for and did all my drug tests and assessments actually called me two days ago letting me know i got the job. Now this company is going to be paying about double what i am making now, so it is a dream come true. Though i feel like i am too much of a coward to tell my boss that i have to quit again. And on such short notice since this company wants me to start on Monday. My boss is already short on workers right now, and i do not want to betray him.

Any advice for someone with butterfly's in his stomach and too nervous to have that talk.
    Last edited by hitmanblood; 2016-04-15 at 07:12 PM.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Deleted
    Stop thinking any boss cares about their employees would be a good start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, all you can do is just...do it. It's hard, I've been in the same spot, telling a company 9 months after they hired me I was going to go somewhere else. I just sat them down and said "I'm giving you my two weeks notice." Obviously since you need to start in two days that won't work, but just being upfront and concise is all that is needed:

"I wanted to let you know that I'm leaving, but I've enjoyed my time here, and I'm sorry to go", could work.
    "I'd need to discuss my position with you. I'm leaving, I'm sorry.", could work.

Just variations on that. Make it clear you're going and that you don't want any ill-will.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Plenty of bosses care. They're human beings, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be held back dude, take the better job while you can. That other job will hire you back whenever if they actually need someone again and you've proven yourself to be a good worker when you're actually there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Don't be held back dude, take the better job while you can. That other job will hire you back whenever if they actually need someone again and you've proven yourself to be a good worker when you're actually there.
    Yeah, true, I ended up leaving one place 3 times (third time was final). It happens, if they liked you and you don't burn your bridges the door is sometimes still open. Hell, our QA lead left us and came back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just talk to him about it if he acts in a way you find unreasonable, you can walk away with less guilt, if he is disappointed but can understand it, you can again walk away easier.

For the rest it is not your company so, you shouldn't feel responsible if the rest doesn't do their job well unless it effects you as in you having to do their work.

10+ Year Old Account
    56 hours at $9.50 an hour = $380/week straight time (40 x $9.50) and $228/week in overtime ($9.50 x 1.5 x 16) or $608/week total before taxes

That's some pretty awful wages ($31,616/year) for the hours worked per week. The likely reason your old boss was trying to give you your gas station job back is because the abysmal pay with the long hours was something people wouldn't take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I'm sure any boss would find it reasonable if you choose the option that benefits you most. Unless they're dicks.

lol, you work a min wage job at a gas station. the owner must know that it's a revolving door of younger people coming in, and soon leaving when something better comes around. the worst thing you can do is leave him without a cover for that shift. just fukin tell him the situation and work it out from there.

Deleted
    If you really like this manager
    Ask him to go for a drink after work, tell him you got a new job that offers double the amount of money, say your looking to finish colleague and need to save more money or whatever reason and for that reason you have to take it for financial reasons
    Say how much you sincerely was grateful for giving you that second chance when you needed it, and tbh if he was a good manager as you say he is he won't stand in your way about getting a good job. If he does it's selfish reasons about looking out for himself.

But do you not have notice periods in America? He can hold onto the remaining of your pay of you just up and leave, well in uk anyway

Tell your boss you'd gladly stay if he were to match the pay from the other place then ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

As long as you didn't commit to work for him for a certain amount of time, that's just the breaks.

Any boss paying at or near minimum wage knows they're going to lose their good employees.

Be courteous, tell him how much you appreciate being taken back and that you don't like leaving but the pay is too good - they'll understand or they aren't worth the effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    tldr;
    I got a job 1
    I quit job 1 for another job 2
    lost job 2
    Job 1 offered me work again
    Offered a really good job that plays double job 1
    too nervous to quit job 1 again after being taken back.

So my situation is this, 2 years ago i was working for a gas station here while i go to school. I work night shift.

My boss is a really cool guy. Respectful and co-workers are really good as well. I work around 56 hours a week sometimes more here. So i get a decent paycheck. I make 9.50$ an hour. My issue is after working there for year i had to quit the first time because a friend needed someone to cover his store for a couple months. I let me boss know i was quitting for that reason.

Flash forward 3 months ago, my friend went out of business, i was unemployed for around 2 months and as a college student who pays for all my classes i was running out of savings. I call my old boss back up and he actually re hired me. He gave me second chance and a job when i needed it. The owner my boss and one of his managers only say good things about me. I actually get my work done, most of his other employees are pretty lazy and are unreliable so having me back was awesome.

Now my only concern is a large company i applied for and did all my drug tests and assessments actually called me two days ago letting me know i got the job. Now this company is going to be paying about double what i am making now, so it is a dream come true. Though i feel like i am too much of a coward to tell my boss that i have to quit again. And on such short notice since this company wants me to start on Monday. My boss is already short on workers right now, and i do not want to betray him.

Any advice for someone with butterfly's in his stomach and too nervous to have that talk.
    Tell him the truth, honesty in this situation is 100% the right way

Thank him for the opportunity, but that you need to go with the new job because the pay is so much higher and it's the right career move for you

It's your life, not his

He will understand and probably even agree with you it's the right move

10+ Year Old Account
    2 weeks notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I can agree for some people, i have had some jobs were bosses literally told be by text or voicemail it was over. Just this was one of the only guys who actually gave a crap.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Just be honest with your boss. He may be a little upset, but it wont be the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firery View Post
    If you really like this manager
    Ask him to go for a drink after work, tell him you got a new job that offers double the amount of money, say your looking to finish colleague and need to save more money or whatever reason and for that reason you have to take it for financial reasons
    Say how much you sincerely was grateful for giving you that second chance when you needed it, and tbh if he was a good manager as you say he is he won't stand in your way about getting a good job. If he does it's selfish reasons about looking out for himself.

But do you not have notice periods in America? He can hold onto the remaining of your pay of you just up and leave, well in uk anyway
    Might try that, normally two weeks notice is standard but i can leave when ever i would like.

I have been in similar situations. You ALWAYS need to look out for yourself when it comes to your career path. Especially at double the money, if the guy is as nice as you say he is, he will be upset at first, but will understand and be happy for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    2 weeks notice.
    The new company wants him to start this coming Monday

7+ Year Old Account
    Give an honest answer and put your two weeks in. If they are decent at all, they will understand.

Pursue the money. Do not let sentiment hold you back.