Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    It is. People ask for a vanilla server. The details are to be discussed after. Do we want progression? How do we want it? In the case of Jagex, they started small and when they saw the humongous amount of traffic it brought, they hired a tremendous amount of people to support it and - as they claimed in their ama - it's the single best thing they ever did.

So yeah, we're asking to give it a go, check how it goes and then maybe go for a progression system. That's even how Nostalrius worked by the way.
    But it's like asking for vanilla and getting Wrath, sure some people are happy but it's not what you wanted, just trying to point out it's not a fair comparison to just say "Jagex did it, so can blizzard."

Also, let's remember that runescape players got lucky that jJagex DID have the code for their 2007 version of runescape and it sure has come a long way with GWD2 being written from scratch for it, zulrah and that faction place. Blizzard on the otherhand says they do not have the stuff required to do a vanilla server, I can't say if that's true or not but as you say, Jagex did really well with releasing Oldschool. Maybe they will look into it in the future, but seeing how people are advocating pirating Blizzards stuff doesn't seem to be the right way to go about it.

It's a small group of people who are spoiling the chances, and sadly they tend to be the most vocal.

I also have no idea how Nostalrius worked, all I know is it's classic wow.

All I can say is hopefully that people who are passionate can have a reasonable discussion without it going to shit and name calling.

Oh yea, should also say that 07 is botscape, sooooo many bots. Luckily they do get taken care of, but older game brings older software which is easier to bot/cheat on. Not to say Rs3 doesn't have their bots but I think it's widely known that 07 has a lot of them, that and gold farmers! Some of the things blizzard will have to tackle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Huh? Look at their infographics.

If after a year you have less than 40k endgame players, your server is broken.
    Please explain how 20% of the playerbase being max level equates to "broken server".

Getting to 60 took a long time in Vanilla. No shit 60s are going to be a minority. That's not "broken server", that's "vanilla wow".

Sodapoppin

To 1000 pages we go!

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post

Sodapoppin

To 1000 pages we go!
    he is right a hundred percent. It's a shame that Blizzard doesn't want to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    You're right. In terms of sheer amount of subs per year that has been given to Blizzard you may have given them more money in that area, but only because I didn't know of the game prior to mid BC. If we're going to epeen about the specific level of loyalty between you & I to Blizzard I could very much argue that I have been happily subbed to their game longer than you because I still kept enjoying the game even after the 'holy trinity' of Vanilla, BC, & Wrath. However, since that isn't the point of my original comment I digress.

I'd really like to see you strike up a solid argument about why Blizzard should give players what they want in terms of legacy servers for the many like minded players who aren't subbed to retail, but want legacy servers. Like I said in my last post those players contribute nothing to Blizzard because they don't buy the expansions & aren't actively subbed to be one of the many parts of the game's community. It is a lose/lose for both of those areas to appease such MIA 'fans' of WoW.
    I am not trying to epeen with you, i just wanted to say that i am also a customer of blizzard, and a good one...10 years of subs and services, i dont even want to count how much money i gave them...

Playing on a private server does not mean i am not a customer or less customer than the rest of the players
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    1. [Citation Needed]
    2. Getting to 60 actually took a long time, so it's not surprising that 60s are not the majority of the server's population.

That's kinda what I liked about Vanilla and Nost, is that the whole "game starts at max level" thing is severely reduced compared to retail. There's plenty of fun stuff to do at 20, 30, 40, etc. and always lots of people to do it with. Getting to max level is half the fun.
    No its not :/ Leveling is a chore in vanilla not something fun. The whole adventure part that people keep talking about. Its just a whole lot of fucking walking around in really bad graphics :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    No its not :/ Leveling is a chore in vanilla not something fun. The whole adventure part that people keep talking about. Its just a whole lot of fucking walking around in really bad graphics :P
    it's not fun for YOU. Don't generalize and be presumptuous. For a lot of people leveling in vanilla is fun. It's a matter of choice, of opinion, of what is fun for you.

Sodapoppin

To 1000 pages we go!
    Nice Coca Cola product placement. God he's such a fucking sellout.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    And it does not matter that they didn't charge people for things. They took donations to keep the server paid for.
    Ok, can you provide the source of this information. Because as I know they did not accepted any donations. I'm saying this because I wanted to donate my money to them and I did not find how to do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    it's not fun for YOU. Don't generalize and be presumptuous. For a lot of people leveling in vanilla is fun. It's a matter of choice, of opinion, of what is fun for you.
    The only one of us who is speaking for other people is you with the "a lot of people"

I can state something like that as long as i dont say everyone or a lot of people. I was speaking for myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niilo View Post
    Ok, can you provide the source of this information. Because as I know they did not accepted any donations. I'm saying this because I wanted to donate my money to them and I did not find how to do that.
    They did accept donations. They definately did

Deleted
    This whole graphic thing is overrated I prefer gameplay over graphics, too many times are devs pushed to a limit to give us the best visuals possible ignoring gameplay mechanics the witcher 3 is a good example of that love the graphics hate the fighting-style but that's just my opinion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Sodapoppin

To 1000 pages we go!
    LOL level from 1-100 from Orgrimmar

Hi, I helped create World of Warcraft, and I'd like to see the community and desire for vanilla servers be heard. #YouThinkYouDoButYouDont
    https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/721113714997403650
    Last edited by peterpan007; 2016-04-16 at 07:52 AM.

I feel like Blizzard knows that LFG, LFR, flying etc are bad to the game now but it's really difficult for them to backtrack so much now. If Blizzard ever made another MMO I highly doubt they would ever include LFG/LFR just a really comfortable UI to make your own groups through. There are some super important aspects to an MMO like community that if you break down even a little are a huge detriment that nothing else can supplement.
    Last edited by Synadrasa; 2016-04-16 at 07:58 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mark Kern (lead developer on vanilla WOW)

I was the team lead for vanilla WoW (@grummz on twitter to see that its really me). People have been asking for my thoughts on the Nostalrius servers.

After giving it a lot of thought, I feel Blizzard could have found a way to support these significant fan efforts to bring back vanilla servers, rather than resorting to scary legal tactics. Blizzard, these gamers are not your enemy, they are some of your greatest supporters. Hire them, but them out. Almost 900,000 players say they want to see this. Don't ignore them. Don't tell them "You think you do, but you don't" and instead tell them "we love you guys and we want to thank you for your fandom." My suggestions:

1) You say you lost the original source for vanilla, so use Nostralus' version.
    2) Hire the team that did it and let them run/support the service under the Blizzard banner.
    3) Add cloud based support so people can spin up private legacy servers on Bnet, chose an expansion, and play with their friends.
    4) Profit.

Mike, I helped build this game for you, I hope you'll hear me out. Support these fans and dedicated gamers.
    https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhai...ty/c/434305499

i liked lvling back in vanilla, well actually i lvled in wrath but it still was new and exciting for me. quests took longer, mobs were harder to kill, everything seemed bigger and farther away in the world. also theres amazing storyline quests especially for the undead imo. things just seemed better back then. my ideal server would probably be one for wotlk, vanilla isnt bad either though, but id miss doing BC raids as well.
    everything is so fast and easy now its really problematic, want instant 100? no problem. how about free loot? not an issue.
    Last edited by announced; 2016-04-16 at 08:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    This whole graphic thing is overrated I prefer gameplay over graphics, too many times are devs pushed to a limit to give us the best visuals possible ignoring gameplay mechanics the witcher 3 is a good example of that love the graphics hate the fighting-style but that's just my opinion.
    yes yes gameplay before graphics thats the popular opinion but heres the thing. There are many better adventure games out there gameplay wise WITH better graphics.

Thats why i find peopels whole adventure thing quite ridiculus

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    I feel like Blizzard knows that LFG, LFR, flying etc are bad to the game now but it's really difficult for them to backtrack so much now. If Blizzard ever made another MMO I highly doubt they would ever include LFG/LFR just a really comfortable UI to make your own groups through. There are some super important aspects to an MMO like community that if you break down even a little are a huge detriment that nothing else can supplement.
    Removing those things would cost them a lot more subs than keeping them will. Contrary to the vocal minority's belief, people like convenience, and removing them won't magically cause bustling server communities to spring up out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    Removing those things would cost them a lot more subs than keeping them will. Contrary to the vocal minority's belief, people like convenience, and removing them won't magically cause bustling server communities to spring up out of the ground.
    Convenience is what destroyed wow. You actually like queuing with random people you will never see again? Or never having to leave org/sw?
    Last edited by Synadrasa; 2016-04-16 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    Given where subscriptions are, the arrogance of saying it's a 'vocal minority' is dreadful.
    The fact is, ever since Cataclysm where more and more changes were made to add convenience and make things easier, their subs have been going DOWN post an expansion release. Pandaria had bad regression with WoD having a more dramatic plummet.

I wouldn't suspect people are assuming removing convenience will create communities however, they are pointing to (and with good evidence) the features that have killed community from the past.

- - - Updated - - -

yes yes gameplay before graphics thats the popular opinion but heres the thing. There are many better adventure games out there gameplay wise WITH better graphics.

Thats why i find peopels whole adventure thing quite ridiculus
    I've not played a game that had a more engaging story or gameplay.
    Although ive only played SWTOR, GW2 and Wildstar. Happy to hear which I should try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    Convenience is what destroyed wow. You actually like queuing with random people you will never see again? Or never having to leave org/sw?
    I'll take that over spending 2 hours to try to find a group for a dungeon