Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Why are people against adding new races?

Racials make such a small difference anymore that Blizzard doesn't even need to balance them - the only one causing issues now is the human trinket racial. So what's the reason then? What's wrong with more variety? Once they add a race with adequate racials, they don't have to bother with it anymore and it exists just to give more options.

All I hear is "there's enough already" - where did you draw that arbitrary line in the sand?
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

I assume the resistance must be because creating new races is always paired with creating at least one new starting zone- which people see as taking away from the development of one zone that could have been used for at-level expansion content.

I think it's because people believe that it will take more time developing armour and weapons meaning they take away time to develop content. It takes time to make each armour appearance fit each race and gender and since they keep adding new armour appearances, they have to keep making it fit all races, only every time they add more races, more appearances have to fit the new models etc etc.

Blizzard always hires more crew though. They have over 250 people working solely on WoW right now. They had serious problems developing WoD but in my opinion, if Legion turns out like Mists or Cata, then that's enough content which probably means it was during WoD development only that they had the content problems. Of course if Legion lacks stuff to do, then people are gonna be really angry.. Anyway, my first paragraph, that's my belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I assume the resistance must be because creating new races is always paired with creating at least one new starting zone- which people see as taking away from the development of one zone that could have been used for at-level expansion content.
    That's actually the reason I like new races. The new zones that come with them are always fun. Sure, you don't really have a need to go back to them after you reach whatever level it is that sends you off to Stormwind or Orgrimmar (or the ability to even access them once you've left in some cases like Worgen/Pandaren), but I think it's worth losing some time on the max-level content. I really enjoyed questing in the Draenei and Blood Elf starting zones, for example. I also liked hanging out in Exodar on my main for a while.

What other races would you suggest be added? Ogre? Naga?

Most of the ideas people have on this are fucking ridiculous.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post

Jinyu and Hozen would be interesting and also fits the story.

Well adding a new race for the sake of adding a new race is stupid. if they add them i'd prefer a strong reason, good art, tier armor, zones and dungeons.

Frankly, I don't think either of those are any more "ridiculous" than the races we've already seen added- Nage wouldn't require any more lore re-writing or model alterations than, say, Draenei or Worgen did. Arakkoa would be very interesting, too, after the events of WoD.

I'd even love to see some "hero" races added- with the same restrictions as hero classes (one per server until future expansions), but starting at a high level to fit better into lore and questing flow. Naga and Arakkoa would be great candidates for this.

IDK, I quite enjoyed draenei, worgen and pandas despite how ridiculous they would have sounded to anyone before they were announced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, I don't think either of those are any more "ridiculous" than the races we've already seen added- Nage wouldn't require any more lore re-writing or model alterations than, say, Draenei or Worgen did. Arakkoa would be very interesting, too, after the events of WoD.

I'd even love to see some "hero" races added- with the same restrictions as hero classes (one per server until future expansions), but starting at a high level to fit better into lore and questing flow. Naga and Arakkoa would be great candidates for this.
    The main issue i hear about naga is the lack of legs, hence the armor issues for legs and boots. Solvable, but an issue.

The other issues are why a race would ally with the Horde or Alliance. And, unless they do what they did with Panderen then we'd need 2 new races, not one.

I don't even care about racials, that's for pvp guys. I'd take Ogres any day, even if they racial was "fart on autoattack"
    Mother pus bucket!

7+ Year Old Account
    Those players are just stupid and against fun.

However, High Elve's((Not Blood Elves)) Ogre's, and Naga are wayyy overdue to be in the game by now.

Why? Go check out Warcraft 3, learn some lore. Although, Naga is going to be put in the game Because Chris Metzen wants it to happen sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The main issue i hear about naga is the lack of legs, hence the armor issues for legs and boots. Solvable, but an issue.

The other issues are why a race would ally with the Horde or Alliance. And, unless they do what they did with Panderen then we'd need 2 new races, not one.
    I mean, the issues with Naga are fairly elegantly solved by having the leg armor simply be a tube around the tail, and boots already don't display on many playable races. Sidesaddle is a riding style that already exists and it perfectly suited to the Naga.

I'm honestly a little less concerned with why the races would join either faction, because that's an issue that Blizzard has already show they're willing to create new lore and edit old lore to support- again, the Worgen are a good example of this, as well as the addition of mages as a Night Elf class.

I don't see those things as barriers to adding races at all.

Because people play an mmorpg despite being inherently afraid of changes.

Luckily, Blizzard haven't paid heed to those people, and we've gotten new races. Hell, I'd argue that Demon Hunter Blood elves and Nelfs are different enough to be ALMOST like a new race/class combined. The male nelfs with their looks and voices means I've reserved space for my first ever male nelf character. Same with belfs, I'll have a male belf DH on my horde server.

Can't wait to see what they'll give us in terms of Ogres. 2-headed character? Sign me up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing a grumpy Myrmidon "I don't like small talk" as a Warrior would indeed be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    What's wrong with more variety? Once they add a race with adequate racials, they don't have to bother with it anymore and it exists just to give more options.
    It doesn't stop there, after the race is there they have to adapt new armor models and model animations to every race.

It's hard to draw a line, say a specific number is enough or too much, but more variety isn't always better. With too many races you start thinning the line between them and what makes them unique.

Not to mention spotlight. There's already more races than they can properly spotlight and give story/lore advancements for.

I certainly wouldn't go into full rage mode if they decided to include another race, simply defenitely not something I'd be looking forward to, nor do I see any actual strong contenders to a new race spot in the existing lore, that can fit into either faction.

Imho if we want variety, we should be looking at sub-races, and further customization options for the existing races, not more races, but that's just me =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the issues with Naga are fairly elegantly solved by having the leg armor simply be a tube around the tail, and boots already don't display on many playable races. Sidesaddle is a riding style that already exists and it perfectly suited to the Naga.

I'm honestly a little less concerned with why the races would join either faction, because that's an issue that Blizzard has already show they're willing to create new lore and edit old lore to support- again, the Worgen are a good example of this, as well as the addition of mages as a Night Elf class.

I don't see those things as barriers to adding races at all.
    Right but if naga start at 1 then they need to edit the armor so naga can level. For hundreds of pieces of armor.

On the faction issue... it's that they'd need to either do 2 races or do a Panderen thing and allow a race to join either faction. Obstacles? yes. Reasons not to do it? No. But it's stuff to consider. Say we get Ogres... are they Horde only? If so, what's the alliance race? High elves? Please... we have two elf races. Naga?

And, while it's not a reason NOT to add races, it does take resources to do two new starting areas, etc.

Right but if naga start at 1 then they need to edit the armor so naga can level. For hundreds of pieces of armor.

On the faction issue... it's that they'd need to either do 2 races or do a Panderen thing and allow a race to join either faction. Obstacles? yes. Reasons not to do it? No. But it's stuff to consider. Say we get Ogres... are they Horde only? If so, what's the alliance race? High elves? Please... we have two elf races. Naga?

And, while it's not a reason NOT to add races, it does take resources to do two new starting areas, etc.
    Yeah, and the starting area development, I think, is the biggest piece where we can say "well, maybe it's not worth adding them if we have to put development into 1-2 zones that won't be used by max level players?," which is what I said at the start of the thread. I think that's probably the primary reason to be against implementing new races.

The armor piece already happened with the updated models, and is continuing in Legion (they're editing helms to work better with the new models and animations), so we do know it's something they're willing to do.

pants don't have 3D models (yet) and are jsut a texture wrapped around the player character model. So they could indeed create a few "legtube" models unique to the naga character and apply those few values representing each model to the thousands of pants in a few days/months of work.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Jinyu and Hozen would be interesting and also fits the story.
    Yeah. Personally, I would have preferred Blizzard added them rather than the Pandarien, although I think Jinyu was rather boring. Hozen was neat.

I think Pandarien should have remained neutral. They went from neutral to fighting each other for Alliance and Horde. I felt that was terrible writing from Blizzard.