Mom: Asus Maximus Gene VIII
    RAM: G.skill NT 1x8GB DDR4-2133
    Storage: WD Caviar Black 1TB
    GPU: MSI R7 370
    Case: Apex TX-381-C
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Fully modular
    Optical: ASUS 24B1ST
    PC Part Picker
    Case doesn't have USB 3.0 header figured I'd get an inexpensive header to take one of the front panel slots. My main concerns are one) not sure if the heat sink and GPU will fit and two) anywhere I could cut to get the price down a little bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    CPU: Intel i3 6100
    Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 plus
    PC Part Picker
    Case doesn't have USB 3.0 header figured I'd get an inexpensive header to take one of the front panel slots. My main concerns are one) not sure if the heat sink and GPU will fit and two) anywhere I could cut to get the price down a little bit more?
    Well, for starters, cut that ludicrously expensive motherboard. With a locked i3, you get nothing from that board that a ~50$ H110 Motherboard doesnt provide. Its also not going to all that portable, really (the case is still quite large). The PSU is serious overkill, as well. An EVGA 500B will do you jusr fine.

The GPU, while cheap, is complete weaksauce.

- - - Updated - - -

mini-ITX, cheaper and more powerful.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/67znkL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/67znkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($204.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $538.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-18 00:07 EDT-0400
    Quite a bit more portable. Left the DVD drive out - really arent necessary these days unless you have a niche use.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    CPU: Intel i3 6100
    Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 plus
    PC Part Picker
    As Kagthul said, very lopsided on the CPU.Motherboard. Save on the motherboard or get a better CPU. If you stick with the i3, no real need for an aftermarket cooler, thoguh if you do, their are better choices than the 212. That GPU is an R7 series, which means it's not meant for gaming. Depending on what this PC will be used for, that may be a bad choice.

Well I was looking for something that I could take to LAN parties and have a little power. I liked the apex case for the handle. Duely noted though. I also liked the PSU for modularity, but they have a lower wattage one that is modular.

I just threw up a sample that was around the same budget as your original post.

If youve got a concrete budget i can try to max out performance and portability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
    Have you used one of these cases? I just tossed my 120 because of god awful airflow. I think one of the big differences between them is you can fit a AIO watercooler to the 130. I did mcguiver an AIO unit into my 120 because my gemini was fighting the PSU fan and the case got too hot if the psu was upside down but the temps were still atrocious. My 970 died in this case, probably because of the open style cooler vs a blower and the crap airflow was just well, to crappy.

Either way I am sure there are much better choices out there, don't cheap out is my advice. I switched to a lian li pc-w359 and I got a nearly 10c drop on my blower style 670, not that I am suggesting this case because they are a. not really "portable" and b. horrifically expensive. I am just lucky EVGA will service my warranty even though I am in Zambia lol. Anyway my point is I don't think decent gaming rig plus CM 120/130 elite are really compatible.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $687.82
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 02:44 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Have you used one of these cases? I just tossed my 120 because of god awful airflow. I think one of the big differences between them is you can fit a AIO watercooler to the 130. I did mcguiver an AIO unit into my 120 because my gemini was fighting the PSU fan and the case got too hot if the psu was upside down but the temps were still atrocious. My 970 died in this case, probably because of the open style cooler vs a blower and the crap airflow was just well, to crappy.

Either way I am sure there are much better choices out there, don't cheap out is my advice. I switched to a lian li pc-w359 and I got a nearly 10c drop on my blower style 670, not that I am suggesting this case because they are a. not really "portable" and b. horrifically expensive. I am just lucky EVGA will service my warranty even though I am in Zambia lol. Anyway my point is I don't think decent gaming rig plus CM 120/130 elite are really compatible.
    the 120 is really an HTPC case. Trying to cram a full-blown high end rig into it wouldnt work out well.

The 130 has quite a bit more room.

Ive built almost 100 machines in the case, 60 of which we use frequently for business (hosting tournaments or providing hardware for events).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2016-04-22 at 02:39 AM.

the 120 is really an HTPC case. Trying to cram a full-blown high end rig into it wouldnt work out well.

The 130 has quite a bit more room.

Ive built almost 100 machines in the case, 60 of which we use frequently for business (hosting tournaments or providing hardware for events).
    Fair enough, I am just very leary over the mico gaming pc thing now and it is hard to eyeball the benefits of the 130 over the 120(which unfortunately did not exist when I built mine.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

If your budget is 700ish dollars, I was able to fit 15 6500 in there.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($27.09 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $693.92
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-23 10:26 EDT-0400

D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    If your budget is 700ish dollars, I was able to fit 15 6500 in there.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($27.09 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $693.92
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-23 10:26 EDT-0400
    My only serious issue wih this build (if you can call it an issue) is that the Prodigy really isnt a small case. It is easy to move around (the handles are very convenient) but it is still about the same size as any other mini tower. Mind, i LIKE the case (two rigs back i had a build in a Prodigy) - its easy to work in and looks nice. But if small/super portable is important, you maynwish to look elsewhere.

Also, the PSU seems like an overspend. A 500B from EVGA would do fine and is ~40$

D

My only serious issue wih this build (if you can call it an issue) is that the Prodigy really isnt a small case. It is easy to move around (the handles are very convenient) but it is still about the same size as any other mini tower. Mind, i LIKE the case (two rigs back i had a build in a Prodigy) - its easy to work in and looks nice. But if small/super portable is important, you maynwish to look elsewhere.

Also, the PSU seems like an overspend. A 500B from EVGA would do fine and is ~40$
    Yea the 500B would be cheaper, but cable management would be a pain in the arse that's why I chose it.