If blizzard does not want to create legacy servers, why not outsource it to another company who is willing to do it? why not sell the copyright to vanilla, tbc and wrath to another company?

But the only thing i am really worried about is that if legacy servers are created by blizzard.. that blizzard will just end up adding a bunch of bells and whistles to turn them into pieces of crap like they are doing now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post

You sneakily try to imply that Blizzard has more knowledge about the subject than me. (regarding the market need for vanilla servers)
    Now this is pure gold.
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2016-04-19 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Or perhaps people just... Don't agree with the fact that IP theft is alright. Tough luck that you don't have the community you wanted. For some reason I have a great guild in wow that I get along with excellently, we have in fact arranged various guild meet ups, some have even gone on holiday together etc.
    We've got 30+ people active at most times. The community is there if you work for it.
    Again, completely missed the point. No one said IP theft was ok, I didn't, JonTron didn't.

I don't see the problem with someone like me (and presumably most Nost players) downloading the client because I paid for that game many years ago. Just want access to a product I paid for.

I played Nostalrius for about 15-20 levels and would have continued, but I was wary a shutdown would happen and I wanted to spare myself the disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    One can see if something is wrong (blind fanatism for outdated software + IP theft) without brown nosing.

If you saw my post history you'd see that I've been strong on the opinion that WoD was a giant flop and a disgusting money grab. Blizzard charged us more for this "expansion" only to abandon it halfway to focus on Legion without coming clear with us. In my opinion they planned to make of WoD the big tie in with the movie. When the movie was pushed back more than a year due to Star Wars and other factors, they got fucked and axed a lot of plans, and decided to focus on Legion instead, without an ounce of respect for those who paid >45€ on the WoD box.

I wouldn't be saying that if I brown nosed Blizzard, and if you've been paying attention, I've been ranting quite a lot against vanilla servers.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not gold, that's a moronic statement. From a software maker standpoint, I'd hate if a small group of vocal people kept demanding a 11 year old version of my flagship software instead of the up-to-date version, too.
    But you are brown nosing? you're basically agreeing with Blizzard. Just because your own personal opinion about Vanilla servers may differ from others, doesn't mean Vanilla servers are wrong. If you don't like them, don't even respond to anything Vanilla related, yet you don't seem to be able to help yourself. Also, as I said above, no one has said IP theft is ok, you're missing the point, the whole thing with the Nostralius petition and the JonTron video is to try and make Blizzard understand there is a demand for Vanilla servers, there is literally physical proof of it, it's absolutely undeniable.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Again, completely missed the point. No one said IP theft was ok, I didn't, JonTron didn't.
    That point was not missed. I understand your wish for a legacy server. Blizz have stated they're not interested. To then go ahead and play on Nostalrius doesn't make it any less IP-infringing. Either you let blizz do it/organize a workaround, a sanctioned private server? Or simply... Leave it be.
    I never said IP infringement was supported by johntron, but if you're playing it, you are supporting it. Like it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtide View Post
    I don't see the problem with someone like me (and presumably most Nost players) downloading the client because I paid for that game many years ago. Just want access to a product I paid for.

I played Nostalrius for about 15-20 levels and would have continued, but I was wary a shutdown would happen and I wanted to spare myself the disappointment.
    All you did was rent an account space. That's... About it. You bought the rights to rent an account when you signed up to wow. That's part of their ToS.

- - - Updated - - -

But you are brown nosing? you're basically agreeing with Blizzard. Just because your own personal opinion about Vanilla servers may differ from others, doesn't mean Vanilla servers are wrong. If you don't like them, don't even respond to anything Vanilla related, yet you don't seem to be able to help yourself. Also, as I said above, no one has said IP theft is ok, you're missing the point, the whole thing with the Nostralius petition and the JonTron video is to try and make Blizzard understand there is a demand for Vanilla servers, there is literally physical proof of it, it's absolutely undeniable.
    The method of which it was approached was wrong. It was IP theft, plain and simple. If blizz aren't supplying it, it's not legal. Then you deal with it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem with someone like me (and presumably most Nost players) downloading the client because I paid for that game many years ago.
    The problem is that Blizzard doesn't think you really want to do that.

They are trying to save you ... because they know better than you what you like

Resistance is futile - you must assimilate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post

That's not gold, that's a moronic statement. From a software maker standpoint, I'd hate if a small group of vocal people kept demanding a 11 year old version of my flagship software instead of the up-to-date version, too.
    You mean kinda like Microsoft provided XP support to the IRS after support ceased?

The amount of incredibly stupid people missing the point in this thread is too damn high. I think JonTron summed this whole thing up rather nicely, it's just a shame there are so many brown nosing Blizzard fanboys missing the bigger picture.
    We're not missing the point and your guy even flat out says it in his video. It is Blizzard's IP to do with it as they wish. They do not want to run legacy servers and they do not want others to run it either. The end. I am not happy with how WoW is now so I'm certainly not brown nosing but the fact remains they said no and that is all there is too it despite what you want or what you think. You are not entitled to shit because you paid for it back in the day. News flash, you didn't actually pay for it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    All you did was rent an account space. That's... About it. You bought the rights to rent an account when you signed up to wow. That's part of their ToS.
    I bought a disc which has a game on it. I want to play that game.

I bought a disc which has a game on it. I want to play that game.
    You bought a disc that loads software to connect to an online server. You did not purchase actual game files. It is clear in the ToS that you agreed to that you only bought the ability to log into the server.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    The amount of incredibly stupid people missing the point in this thread is too damn high. It's just a shame there are so many brown nosing Nost fanboys missing the bigger picture.
    PS: opinions are like assholes....everyone has one....

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    This is not about IP theft. Its about Blizzard providing legitimate Legacy servers. Congrats on having a community, I used to have that but lost it after MoP and WoD
    But IP theft is exactly what nost and all other private servers do. To claim otherwise is white knighting them as many claim people who think it is wrong are doing for blizz. I hate wod and the direction they took and blame it all on blizz but I can also see that private servers are in fact stealing and it is and was always a possibility that they get shut down. Doing something illegal because you like it doesn't change the fact that it is illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like them, don't even respond to anything Vanilla related, yet you don't seem to be able to help yourself.
    Look, if everyone who doesn't agree with Vanilla servers stays out of it, these kind of threads about the theme will just become echo chambers where everyone agrees that those servers are the best thing since sliced bread. We all have the right to opinionate about it, since we are all interested in Blizzard's products.

Asking people who don't agree with you to stay out of any discussion about it is simply retarded.

Deleted
    You didnt bought the game but the access to it. And the Access is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    PS: opinions are like assholes....everyone has one....
    I love how people who point out and know that what nost and all private servers are doing is illegal are then brown nosing or white knighting blizz.
    What are the defenders of nost and private servers then? Aren't they brown nosing and white knighting them? An illegal activity which can't be argued isn't illegal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    You mean kinda like Microsoft provided XP support to the IRS after support ceased?
    Yeah, because the government or powerful enterprises have not benefited of special circumstances before that us mere mortals can't have, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    this guy makes some good points and i agree fully with what most of what he says

Great video, and why the hell did your thread get closed? Fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    They also said there will never be pve-pvp server transfers or a cash shop or in game gold selling or character boosts and the list goes on. There has also never been this much publicity with private servers so dont think they couldnt or wouldnt change their stance about them.
    Post a link from Blizzard where they specifically said that. I never heard them say they would never do faction/server-type transfers. Same with the Blizzard store. I don't think any of you trully understand what you are demanding Blizzard they do about putting out classic servers. Hint: it wouldn't be the same as pirated emulated code or something Runescape did (because that and WoW are two fundamentally different games).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You didnt bought the game but the access to it. And the Access is still there.
    That's been said countless times ago, yet they refuse to accept it as it undermines their logic, much like religious people.

In fact, in the ToS there's a line very clear to anyone to see that you don't own your account, you're purchasing the right to rent it from Blizzard, whom at any time may choose to terminate it if they want to.