Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    For example, MoA second mechanic, "and then detonating for arcane damage equal to 15% of your maximum mana", is a restriction, yes, but it's something entirely in our control, and something that, if properly managed, can bring to awesome performances (or, anyway, to better than average performances). As far as that second mechanic, we and only we can mess it up or use it flawlessly.
    I'm not following what you're saying with this part. There's nothing to manage or manipulate in a fight with dealing damage equal to a percentage of your max mana, because that's going to remain static. It's just a weird way to make that part of the spell scale off of mastery instead of intellect. No amount of burning or conserving you do will affect its damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarm View Post
    I'm not following what you're saying with this part. There's nothing to manage or manipulate in a fight with dealing damage equal to a percentage of your max mana, because that's going to remain static. It's just a weird way to make that part of the spell scale off of mastery instead of intellect. No amount of burning or conserving you do will affect its damage.
    Ehm sorry you are right, dunno why, I thought it was "current mana", rather than "maximum mana".

LoL with its current, missing and maximum mechanics is fucking my mind

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Sorry, but who is talking about Mark of Aluneth in what you quoted? I was making a general observation about the analysis type of some posters who appear to always want easier spells to use, simpler to use and spells that always make perfect sense and synergize perfectly. My opinion on individual spells is another matter.
    "Northem, it has become clear from your suggestions in the last few weeks that you want very simple and deterministic spells that always make perfect logical sense, they are always convenient and always very clearly and blatantly useful."

The point was that, if we think about that, there are no complex or simple spells.

So, if MoA (for example, among many others), sticks to our targets rather than being ground based, it's not going to be less complex (if it is complex to begin with).

If we have a way to do AoE DPS from afar (for example, by having a ranged AE), it's not like suddenly our AoE DPS gets simpler.

Northem is proposing something which removes the chance that we get fucked up by external factors, ignoring the fact that what he proposes is the perfect solution or no.

MoA, does not look that hard to use. It looks like a version of Flamestrike
    We both agree then.

It's usually reliable unless something moves too fast.
    To be precise, unless:

"- not all targets being in a 6 yard radius in the first place for whatever reason;
    - targets moving outside the 6 yard range, for whatever reason, during the 8 secs (2 sec cast + 6 sec DoT) MoA needs to fully take effect;
    - targets dying before the 8 sec window ended;
    - doing solo PvE contents to begin with;
    - doing solo/group PvP contents to begin with."

Not saying it is necessarily a big deal, but I think it is something worth to bring up.
    Last edited by Seneca; 2016-04-11 at 01:29 PM.

Mark isn't anything like Flamestrike. It doesn't do damage as soon as the cast is finished as well as ignite all the targets hit, damaging them even after they move. Flamestrike only needs targets to stay clumped for as long as it takes to cast. For Mark you need them clumped for 8 seconds and they have to stay in that spot. Enough raid mechanics seem to land on top of our rune. Imagine how likely it would be that the tank has to move the adds away from mark so the melee don't have to stand in fire.

Flamestrike also works with Fire's kit and talents, becoming instant with Hot Streak, and dropping a flame patch with said talent like old Flamestrike used to. Of course, Mark can't have talents because it's an artifact ability, but it doesn't improve our kit besides being an extra standalone ability. Phoenixes can at least get crits for Pyro, and Ebonbolt gives FoF charges (though munching is cramping its use).

If the cast or explosion can give missiles, that could be a saving grace I suppose. Otherwise it's a worse crystal, since it's not instant, it does the bulk of its damage at the very end, and you can't even lead a moving target.
    Last edited by whisperingsage; 2016-04-12 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingsage View Post
    Phoenixes can at least get crits for Pyro
    nope, Phoenix's Flames does not interact with hot streak at all

Then that's bad design and Phoenixes are just as uninteractive with the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingsage View Post
    Then that's bad design and Phoenixes are just as uninteractive with the spec.
    Phoenix Flame's cooldown is reset by Ignite ticks.

That's something, I guess, but doesn't really make Phoenix's Flames work any better with the core rotation other than adding another ability to press, used in a similar scenario to Blast Wave or Supernova.

Honestly, I almost wish Mark of Aluneth would work off 15% current mana, so it would have a more interesting use. I suppose they aren't giving an interesting use damage-wise because they're saving it all for the interesting gameplay of waiting till the mobs will stay still for long enough.

Frankly all Fire needs is "more abilities to press". The core already has a pretty solid interactive element, the issue is that... that's all that there is.
    Not every button in your toolkit needs to be a proc based on another one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching that Broken Shore video on the front page made me sad. At around 10:15 we can see Gnomes using an attack that could be used as an updated Arcane Missiles, but they are shooting it with a gun. Blizzard trolling at it's best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by throcha View Post
    Watching that Broken Shore video on the front page made me sad. At around 10:15 we can see Gnomes using an attack that could be used as an updated Arcane Missiles, but they are shooting it with a gun. Blizzard trolling at it's best.
    That does look good, however their reasoning is possibly related to the flashiness of some spells. Either because they don't want to overdo it with aesthetics or because they might believe the graphical load might be too much in 20man or 40man groups, they might want to trim down the effects. In this case that seems to be a very impressive and big spell on one wave going out, so if it had multiples as well it might had been excessive, so I think it only could have worked if arcane missiles had 1 wave.

They've shown that they can make your own spells appear to you differently than they do to other players so that logic just doesn't really apply. They can tune each spells appearance to reduce the load each player puts on the others so they can still have crazy over the top graphics for your own character without displaying 20 of them at once.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-04-14 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    They've shown that they can make your own spells appear to you differently than they do to other players so that logic just doesn't really apply.
    It's a multiplayer game. Some players would object not being able to show what they have to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does look good, however their reasoning is possibly related to the flashiness of some spells. Either because they don't want to overdo it with aesthetics or because they might believe the graphical load might be too much in 20man or 40man groups, they might want to trim down the effects. In this case that seems to be a very impressive and big spell on one wave going out, so if it had multiples as well it might had been excessive, so I think it only could have worked if arcane missiles had 1 wave.
    I agree, but maybe they could just adjust the size of each wave to be the size of our current missiles. That could work. And it's not like other specs/classes don't have flashy spells.

It's a multiplayer game. Some players would object not being able to show what they have to others.
    Doesn't seem to matter since that feature has long been part of the live game.

I'm not saying we should have insane graphics or anything though. Just that concerns about them being too over the top for other players in a raid environment won't ever actually be a problem if Blizzard does their job. Just compare what another player's crystal typically looks like compared to yours inside of a raid.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-04-14 at 08:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Doesn't seem to matter since that feature has long been part of the live game.

I'm not saying we should have insane graphics or anything though. Just that concerns about them being too over the top for other players in a raid environment won't ever actually be a problem if Blizzard does their job. Just compare what another player's crystal typically looks like compared to yours inside of a raid.
    I see the crystal's presence as a mechanical aid in order to use it. It wouldn't win any beauty contests anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the only one who would love to have the arcane spell that Khadgar loves to use?

Film version
    Spoiler: 

Game version
    Spoiler: 

Deleted
    It looks like Arcane Barrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like Arcane Barrage.
    Yes, it's instant and is a projectile, but it has different graphics and, above all, it knocks back people!

Perhaps, through a major glyph, [Arcane Barrage] could apply the knockback effect to the target (a more potent knockback the more [Arcane Charges] consumed) instead of hitting additional nearby targets per [Arcane Charges].
    Oh shit! I had forgotten that Blizzard has removed the major glyphs in order to simplify the game even more so that it is fully accessible to people with severe mental retardation

However, maybe the now devaluated and lackluster [Supernova] could recover its popularity if it gains new effects:

"Supernova; Arcane Mage talent; 2.5% of base mana; 40 yd range; Instant; 2 charges; 40 sec recharge; Launches a pulse of arcane energy at the enemy target, dealing (195% of Spell power) Arcane damage to him and all nearby enemies and knocking them back up to 40 yd; Damage increased by 50% per Arcane Charge; Generates 1 Arcane Charge".

Graphically, the new [Supernova] would be like the previous images, the mage would use the "kamehameha" animation and well, if you are worried about having two instant spells firing a projectile, remember that our main spell ([Arcane Blast]) doesn't have any projectile at all and that the Fire Mages already have several similar projectile-spells ([Fireball], [Pyroblast]).

Infracted.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2016-04-20 at 01:20 PM.

Deleted
    But it's fun that Supernova is instant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    I'm the only one who would love to have the arcane spell that Khadgar loves to use?

Film version
    Spoiler: 

Game version
    Spoiler: 
    Don't we already have that? "Launches an Arcane Orb forward from the Mage's position, traveling up to 40 yards, dealing (74.3% of Spell power) Arcane damage to enemies it passes through. Grants the Mage an Arcane Charge when cast and every time it deals damage."
    Some slight adjustment and upgrade to the visuals and we're Kadghar