Poll: Regarding the topic.

Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Ban "social justice" in education?

Someone's started a petition to ban it in universities.

https://www.change.org/p/universitie...-universities?
    Social justice has become scientifically illiterate, logically unsound, deeply bigoted and openly supremacist. Social justice professors are indoctrinating young people into a pseudoscientific cult behind closed doors that is doing damage to their health, education and future.
    This thread isn't to do with the specifics of "social justice" as that may be against our new forum rules. It is to ask whether it is right to have ideologies like this not only as a class but as something which has gone through the education system.

It's not tolerated with other things for example there was controversy over islam in schools.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-26482599
    There was also the case of police called out because a pupil was looking at UKIP and EDL sites.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-school.html

censorship is good because ____________

censorship is bad because _____________

which column has more checkmarks in it?

theres your answer

seriously though, this is just fotm

10+ Year Old Account
    This is gonna be one of them circle jerk threads.

My one question is: what are the "Social Justice Courses" that this petition wants to suspend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    My one question is: what are the "Social Justice Courses" that this petition wants to suspend?
    The closest ones I can think of are sociology, criminology, and social work.

10+ Year Old Account
    SJW has been a rampant problem in our society, which is even more true recently. People who used to fight freedom now want to enforce it as a religion, where we ban words and publicly shame people who disagree, something that looks a lot like the not-so-far christian enforcement in schools.

Here's an interesting article that is quite related to this topic: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ngle_page=true
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The closest ones I can think of are sociology, criminology, and social work.
    Gender studies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Gender studies.
    Oh right that exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    It isn't asking for any classes to be scrapped.

Here is a video from the author of the petition explaining the aim of the petition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ucO8XOw3c

Also, a video regarding the petition and a few tame examples of what the author means about social justice on campus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiyvy7X8wg

Gender studies.
    What specifically about gender studies? Just anything that studies gender in general?

It really depends what you mean by social justice. Banning it at public universities would make sense, since people have to pay for it. I think you'd also have to ban it at private universities that take public funding, which is almost all of them.

edit: On that note, from an ethical taxpayer vs. SJ university perspective, I don't see teaching social justice to be on different than teaching other biases like racism or sexism, which it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    It really depends what you mean by social justice. Banning it at public universities would make sense, since people have to pay for it. I think you'd also have to ban it at private universities that take public funding, which is almost all of them.

edit: On that note, from an ethical taxpayer vs. SJ university perspective, I don't see teaching social justice to be on different than teaching other biases like racism or sexism, which it really is.
    teaching the ethical onuses of society is the same as teaching racism

oh yea, you sound real legit right now

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    It isn't asking for any classes to be scrapped.

Here is a video from the author of the petition explaining the aim of the petition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ucO8XOw3c

Also, a video regarding the petition and a few tame examples of what the author means about social justice on campus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiyvy7X8wg
    The first video seems very vague, but the second video's first example I would agree with. It is misrepresenting the actual science to say that stuff, but is that a class or some seminar since the seating arrangement seems.. funky. Mind giving me some time stamps apart from the first example, 40 min video is a bit much.

I don't understand how "social justice" has become such a snarl term these days. Isn't building a just society something that all people have strived for since the beginning of civilization?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I don't understand how "social justice" has become such a snarl term these days. Isn't building a just society something that all people have strived for since the beginning of civilization?
    anti SJWs use the term ironically. Then act the same way in response... its weird. But thats what happens when the internet leaks into the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because "social justice" isn't just. It's used ironically.

I think we have a backlash because they take the justice a bit too far, too often.

Because "social justice" isn't just. It's used ironically.
    in colleges and universities, social justice is an actual field that people have been learning about for like, 50 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I think we have a backlash because they take the justice a bit too far, too often.
    Mm. There's no 'innocent until proven guilty' or 'benefit of the doubt'. A great many people will have many aspects of their lives ruined for no good reason - all because somebody of a certain persuasion can claim to be 'offended' by something that person said or did. Even if it turns out to be false - the damage is often done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Mm. There's no 'innocent until proven guilty' or 'benefit of the doubt'. A great many people will have many aspects of their lives ruined for no good reason - all because somebody of a certain persuasion can claim to be 'offended' by something that person said or did. Even if it turns out to be false - the damage is often done.
    That kinda stuff has been going on forever though. The difference now is the internet.