Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    I never knew how many prince fans I had on facebook until today.....
    Likewise. I mean, sure, it's sad - but it's pretty jarring to see people I'm friends with make a bigger deal of a celebrity dying than they do about close friends/relatives dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Exactly, and he used most of his money to help other people.
    But until now, it was kept secret because his religious beliefs forbade taking credit for philanthropy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    someone's gotta do better research.
    What you portrait here might be some musician, that's true.. Sounds awfully lot like Gene Simmons for example.
    But it's not Prince you describe here. He was the complete opposite of that.
    Prince was renowned for being a bully when it came to his work. Demanding royalties for covers he did of other music, and having YouTube videos taken down because it featured his music in the background or something. It's not to say he's no less of a musician for it, he's just an asshat for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Prince was renowned for being a bully when it came to his work. Demanding royalties for covers he did of other music, and having YouTube videos taken down because it featured his music in the background or something. It's not to say he's no less of a musician for it, he's just an asshat for it.
    Fierce defender of his intellectual property.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great musician, extremely talented. Didn't follow all of his work, but it's pretty hard to avoid his big hits if you're above the age of 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Fierce defender of his intellectual property.
    Does his I.P. extend to him doing covers of other peoples music? No ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, in San Francisco...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    You are talking about a man who was prohibited to use his very own catalog of work, to was prohibited to even use his very birth name. Hence "The Artist formerly known as Prince" moniker, and the symbol.
    He only recently regained control of his catalog. So anything in the past has a high chance that it wasn't Prince interfering instead it was Warner Brothers who owned it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    As a life-long Minnesotan, I can't find myself caring all too much about someone I've never met. The hero worship some people exhibit was exhausting yesterday on social media.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    As a life-long Minnesotan, I can't find myself caring all too much about someone I've never met. The hero worship some people exhibit was exhausting yesterday on social media.
    I've never understood it either. I remember way back in elementary school I had an assignment to pick a famous person and do a report on their deeds. God dammit was it hard to pick somebody.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a musician, and non-conformant individual, I had a tremendous amount of respect for Prince. Everyone has an idol, or hero, or someone they look up to. Even if you haven't physically met the person, their life and what they have done can reach you, and have a dramatic effect on your life. If you were not into Prince, or didn't care for his effect on the world, then I can see why you wouldn't care, which is perfectly fine. But at least with what I said, hopefully you can understand why other's would be effected by this loss.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

There's got to be something more interesting for all of the news agencies to cover. The 24/7 coverage of his life has got to stop, holy shit I can't escape it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not my type of music.

i enjoyed his music, not a big fan or top of my list, but i enjoyed his work. I knew he could be a jerk and had a ego, but he was way too young to die when he did.

His music helped shaped the industry and he pushed a lot of new talent into the spotlight, even if he had his own reasons. He was one part of the magic of an era and the world now has less in it without him. I'm just glad his efforts fostered future magic for the world.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-04-22 at 06:27 PM.

Why don't you go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Game. Blouses.
    I love Prince stories. When he came to my town, my friend that works for the venue he played at said they had to attend a very long meeting to go over Prince's strange demands. My favorite was if you saw Prince coming or you were walking in his direction, when you got about 5 feet away from him, you were to turn around and face the wall with your back toward's Prince.
    Musical legend though, he will be missed. He wrote a ton of pop hits for other artists as well.

As one (mostly) myself, and someone who met Prince a few times, he was something beyond human. This isn't hero worship. This is, I met the guy. He gave me $40 once because I couldn't afford a cab ride out of his place. Long story about that, but I knew his entire band back in about 2001. Before that, hanging out, he was chill, does this riff seem right? I'm working on this beat, it's ok? More distortion? Less? And so on.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    That's probably the best line from that skit, to me. So deadpan and yet so sharp, haha.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

This is pretty good too. I think there's genius in there somewhere.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That man fucked everything that moved.

It was HIV/Aids. Calling it now.