Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    and how could it went ? they basickly brought him a very nice suppy of toilet paper if they were stupid enough to print it - and if they didnt print it well it went straight to trash
    And if it changes something how stupid will you look?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    A lot of people who is playing and paying for retail get mad when they see people playing WOW for free in private servers.
    Not gonna discuss if they have or do not the right to be pissed because of private servers, but it is real, and the more sucessful the private server is, the more pissed they get, and they end up demanding Blizz to do something about it.
    Does it look like good enough reason to you?
    This makes no sense for an obvious reason -
    People playing on retail who actually would get upset at someone playing free at the same time think that people playing on vanilla servers play a subpar outdated product they would never go back to, amirite? It's not the same game remember? With bugs and so on.
    To me, most of the anti-legacy people post the same thing here, and that is something I would transcribe into "we hate them having fun, go go blizz".
    I wholeheartedly agree that it is morally wrong to use blizzard's property without their consent.
    But see it this way - these people only do it for fun, they beg blizz for ages to open their own legacy servers so they can play the game they love so much officially.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Likely it does although how much you should care about such fans is up for discussion. The server very obviously so existed against the wishes of the developer - why that's their stance is entirely irrelevant. They closed it amicably and nobody even has to face repercussions so whether or not you are butthurt over the closure it happened in quite a decent way and is certainly not only in the "legal world" the right way to go about it.
    The discussion has been going on for ages. I do not believe that this discussion is about who is wrong or right.
    I want to believe that blizz can only gain more subs and revenue from opening legacy servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    The discussion has been going on for ages. I do not believe that this discussion is about who is wrong or right.
    I want to believe that blizz can only gain more subs and revenue from opening legacy servers.
    Or just hire the guys behind the "best" / "most visited" Servers and let their stuff do, it's so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    You can't compare a single player mario game with an online game like WoW. If WoW opens legacy servers, I'm 100% sure the vast majority would switch over. Sure there are still some people who play on them because they're free, but almost every person I've met on private vanilla servers plays there because they want to play vanilla, not because it's free.

They're usually former subscribers as well.

Those people would switch immediately if blizzard gave them a "blizzlike" legacy server.
    Doubt that. Most players that actually played on Nost were to cheap to even donate a dollar for the server costs.
    I mean, they weren't even able to pay the bills evey month.

"800000" players did not cover the $300-$400 that they needed. From Blizzards point of view, legacy servers must look like a very, very poor investment.

wonder what Nostralius supporters are going to do at blizzcon. great opportunity to force a comment and get some main stream attention.

no matter where you fall on the spectrum I am amazed blizzard has not said anything. fans of Nostralius are fans of wow also. 217000 signatures is a lot.

wonder how many subs they lost. I am just one person and I know a number of people who,have cancelled their sub. which largely sat unused anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    wonder what Nostralius supporters are going to do at blizzcon. great opportunity to force a comment and get some main stream attention.

no matter where you fall on the spectrum I am amazed blizzard has not said anything. fans of Nostralius are fans of wow also. 217000 signatures is a lot.

wonder how many subs they lost. I am just one person and I know a number of people who,have cancelled their sub. which largely sat unused anyways
    Yeah, I'm curious too actually. I saw a post on the Nost subreddit where a GM told a player that Blizzard was currently reevaluating the legacy servers. It seems the demand is bigger than they initially believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Doubt that. Most players that actually played on Nost were to cheap to even donate a dollar for the server costs.

"800000" players did not cover the $300-$400 that they needed. From Blizzards point of view, legacy servers must look like a very, very poor investment.
    Nostalrius refused any payment whatsoever. They closed because of a cease and desist from Blizzard, not from a lack of funds.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account

I've seen a lot of people say that they would have shut down because they couldn't pay the server costs. I've yet to see anything that even points to this. They were planning on opening a TBC server, as well.

The majority of players on the server I play seem to want an official legacy server, the majority of people on forums concerning vanilla servers seem to want it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious too actually. I saw a post on the Nost subreddit where a GM told a player that Blizzard was currently reevaluating the legacy servers. It seems the demand is bigger than they initially believed.
    There was a post-refund ticket email from a CS agent that said the support was larger than they thought. A CS agent saying that doesn't mean anything, of course. Although it might mean that they are actually talking about it internally.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Nostalrius refused any payment whatsoever. They closed because of a cease and desist from Blizzard, not from a lack of funds.
    it would be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a post-refund ticket email from a CS agent that said the support was larger than they thought. A CS agent saying that doesn't mean anything, of course. Although it might mean that they are actually talking about it internally.
    Yeah, considering it's a post-refund message, I seems to indicate there's a movement growing asking for refunds over this. Now, we don't know the scale, or how it'll be handled. To be continued.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

No, you could still donate money to pay for the servers. It didn't go to the devs (according to them) but to the company that handle the servers.

I've seen a lot of people say that they would have shut down because they couldn't pay the server costs. I've yet to see anything that even points to this. They were planning on opening a TBC server, as well.

The majority of players on the server I play seem to want an official legacy server, the majority of people on forums concerning vanilla servers seem to want it.

- - - Updated - - -

They said so themselves on some reddit AMA though they seem to have payed what was missing themselves but it's still a horrible investment.

Deleted

i know it may sound silly, but i would literally cry if they would make this happen ...

You can't compare a single player mario game with an online game like WoW. If WoW opens legacy servers, I'm 100% sure the vast majority would switch over. Sure there are still some people who play on them because they're free, but almost every person I've met on private vanilla servers plays there because they want to play vanilla, not because it's free.

They're usually former subscribers as well.

Those people would switch immediately if blizzard gave them a "blizzlike" legacy server.
    Show me any proof of this please? Most private server people that came on this forum loved to taunt retail players as thier servers were better due to better game and being free. Some went so far to say they would never give blizz money ever again.
    But they would instantly jump back and give blizz money you say?
    Bullshit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post

Again that is not a lot of signatures. It is barely more than the supposed "active" players on nost alone. What about the 800k subs created? Or all the other private server players? Or people who didn't play private servers but want legacy servers?

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Then tell your peers to stop linking his thoughts over and over as if they mattered.
    It's an opinion. Valid as any other on this forum or anywhere else, mine and yours. The fact that he helped develop WoW maybe even makes his slightly more valuable than ours, but that's subjective.

I'm sorry it brings such sorrows to your person to see him again though.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you could still donate money to pay for the servers. It didn't go to the devs (according to them) but to the company that handle the servers.

They said so themselves on some reddit AMA though they seem to have payed what was missing themselves but it's still a horrible investment.
    They said they had to do it a few times, they didn't say when, though, could have been in the first few months with fewer active players.

That said, this is the top comment on the petition:

Blizzard please make your own vanilla and TBC servers, i will pay you
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Honestly...

I would not really want legacy servers. Sure I would want legacy servers if Blizzard decides to keep going with the way the game progressively changed over the years. With this I mean changed that there no longer is a community. They went from a mmorpg to a single player rpg. They went out of their way to not immerse me (I cannot talk for others) anymore. So if they choose to go that way, yesI want legacy servers.

But what I and I think WE want is not legacy servers. We want the good things we have now but not all of it. And we want the good things we had in vanilla/TBC/WOTLK but not all of it.

Sounds vague right? Well I could sum of a lot of things that are detrimental to the community now vs how those things were not present in vanilla/tbc or WOTLK. I could sum up a list of things that were generally disliked in vanilla/TBC/WOTLK that are better now.

But then this post I made would be taken apart by people who either don't fully grasp the impact of certain things on the community or pleasure/immersion people have in the game. Or they just don't want it changed/removed/replaced.

But IN GENERAL, I think I am right saying that Legacy servers is not REALLY what we want. We do want and recall having a better experience (we even have a better experience on a private server with earlier expansions) in the past... vs the experience we have now.

So the lesson should be to take the good from the past and merge it with the current setup (removing or changing stuff that is currently detrimental to the game/experience).

-----
    There is ofcourse a group of people that want legacy servers. Just because they enjoyed their time so much back then. Sure. But that % of people is very small. Most people/humans want to have fresh content, not go back to old stuff they experienced already.

They said they had to do it a few times, they didn't say when, though, could have been in the first few months with fewer active players.

That said, this is the top comment on the petition:
    That petition, yes. It's free to sign, you can sign it multiple times and people have openly said that they have spent days signing it.
    I would not trust thous numbers at all.

The thning was on BBC and all over the internet and yet it only has, what? 200k?
    Still a horrible investment. I mean more people cared about flying/no flying in WoD, or the dalies in MoP.

Blizzard might give you a legacy server one day but it's still a poor investment... You know, like Titan was.

[..] You know, like Titan was.
    Comparing Legacy Servers, content that is already done, to developing a new IP and game from the bottom up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Show me any proof of this please? Most private server people that came on this forum loved to taunt retail players as thier servers were better due to better game and being free. Some went so far to say they would never give blizz money ever again.
    But they would instantly jump back and give blizz money you say?
    Bullshit
    Can't really link you to threads about it since it's against the forum rules. However, as I said, top comment on the petition is one that asks for legacy servers. Most people I've met on my server seem to feel the same way.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

That petition, yes. It's free to sign, you can sign it multiple times and people have openly said that they have spent days signing it.
    I would not trust thous numbers at all.

The thning was on BBC and all over the internet and yet it only has, what? 200k?
    Still a horrible investment. I mean more people cared about flying/no flying in WoD, or the dalies in MoP.

Blizzard might give you a legacy server one day but it's still a poor investment... You know, like Titan was.
    This was on the BBC?

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    This was on the BBC?
    Due to certain youtubers, yes. Just stating the same misinformation one youtuber did. BBC has a lot of filler articles though, so it's not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."